hunting with a back quiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hunting with a back quiver?

normally I use a Simmons quiver. It is too long to fit in my luggage for Africa. I was thinking about using my back quiver. How do you fellows that use them alot keep your broad heads from dinging together?

i have heard they stuff a sock, shirt or small bush in the top to keep the arrows from moving while they walk and then pull it out when you get to your stand.
    you could try to use a cat quiver, i am pretty sure they collapse. plus they have plenty of room for your camera, gps, snacks , water and the important stuff like TP. ; )

Comment

I guess i'll find out as i've got an order in to Steven Catts for a Nottingham back quiver. I think i'm gonna try the leather broadhead covers and the quiver is supposed to collaspse in the middle around the arrows. I've always used a bow quiver so this will be a new experince for me. Kevin

Comment

Im told that a bag of oats or rice will keep things quiet

Comment

Buff,
          Don't laugh. I use baby socks and real small rubberbands on my broadheads and fletchings (I like feathers for trad. and the socks keep them quiet in my back quiver). Hope any of this helps. Good luck and don't forget the pics.
          PS: I hope you get a Kudu( high on my want list).
          Darrell

Comment

I've tried all sorts of ways to hunt with one. Don't like it...too noisy and I don't think I can keep my broad heads sharp for very long, since they touch/rub each other.
            I've been using a "homemade" copy of Asbell's GFA quiver and really like it.
            When do you leave? Good luck and be safe.

Comment

june 29th

Comment

I use a Howard Hill type back quiver which folds in the middle to hold arrows quiet. I placed a 2 inch layer of ethafoam in the bottom. It keeps the broadheads sharp while preventing them from moving around. The only problem I have using a back quiver is moving in heavy brush and low hanging limbs.
                Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted.

Comment

I built myself a back quiver. All the ones I've seen were always too shallow. So, I built one (nothing fancy for sure) and I built it so it would collapse on the arrows while I'm wearing it. The arrows don't rattle around when I wear it properly. Other than that, I use a bow mounted quiver.
                  I've sprinted while wearing it just to see how it'd perform. No rattle. I have heard the feathers rustle together a little, but not too much.

Wanna borry it? It'll hold about 8 - 10 broadhead mounted arrows.

Actually, it looks more like a burrito with a strap on it than a quiver...

...or an egg roll.

...I'm not much of a leather worker...

Comment

Sounds like you need bigger luggage.

Since the majority of your hunting will be from a blind, I would think that you could get any old bow quiver and just carry it to the stand rather than affixing it to your bow. Probably will not be as “traditional,” but it will keep your feathers crisp and broad heads sharp

Comment

I used a Cat quiver the first year that I hunted trad and it worked good. I have since switched to a bow mounted quiver. If you are interested in borrowing my cat quiver shoot me a PM.

Comment

Buff,

Try cutting a piece of mattress pad (egg crate) to roughly the size of the bottom of your quiver. You can try that and see if it stops the clinking and clattering. If you like it glue it to the bottom. Worked for me.

Ever used a cat quiver? They can be helpful if it rains

Comment

I can't add anything to your quiver question, but good luck in Africa. Please post a full report when you get back with lots of pictures. (I'm jealous)

Comment

Several places carry leather broadhead covers for two and three blade heads that are very easy to take on and off. I only know one person that hunts with a back quiver and he swears by them. He is spot and stalk only, no camo, mocassin boots, whole nine yards......

That being said, and if you don't mind some technology..........

I typically use a cat quiver, which only contacts the tip and the nock, because I believe vibration against something in contact with the cutting surface will dull the head over time. It's probably not enough to worry about but I even sharpen them again once I'm in the stand if I've carried them in a foam insert.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone View Post
                              Several places carry leather broadhead covers for two and three blade heads that are very easy to take on and off. I only know one person that hunts with a back quiver and he swears by them. He is spot and stalk only, no camo, mocassin boots, whole nine yards......

That being said, and if you don't mind some technology..........
                              I'm the most none Traditional -- Traditional archer ever lived. I love technology I'm planning on using a strap on Quiver and taking it off when I get to the blind

Comment

Working...
                              X