Pros/Cons of sending kids to Private Christian School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, I know the Pros. My wife is very adamant about moving our kids from Alvin ISD to a private Christian school. Other than the cost....what, if any would be the cons? Looking at Arcadia First Baptist in Santa Fe. Both our kids went there in pre-school and mothers day out.

Social development if the school is very small or too sheltered. As long as you do what needs to be done to prepare them for the real world that wont be as sheltered or protected than I don't think its ever a problem.

Comment

Cons are some school activities that may not be offered. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Track, Band, Swim Team, Debate team, etc.

Comment

Both mentioned above are valid concerns. We sent ours to small schools. One very small. Both kids have done very well for themselves. There may some things they might miss. There likely will be some, maybe many, things they will gain. I'd do it the same way all over again.

Comment

I went to a private Christian school from K-6. Then I started 7th in The Aldine ISD. It was a culture shock for me. I was way ahead of my peers education wise however. I already knew what they were learning most of that first year. I wouldn't trade those early years of my education for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            I went to a private Christian school from K-6. Then I started 7th in The Aldine ISD. It was a culture shock for me. I was way ahead of my peers education wise however. I already knew what they were learning most of that first year. I wouldn't trade those early years of my education for anything.
            i went 1st through 8th. I didn't learn one new thing until my junior year in high school. Which was a bad thing, because i forgot every study habit i had. Oh well.

Comment

Mine did private school until junior high......... got a GREAT foundation. We lived in a great district but wanted that solid start for her. If Alvin ISD is sketchy I would not hesitate but I would definitely keep the kid exposed to any and everything possible. Mine loved public school by the way!

Comment

My kids go to AFBCS and love it. We really like the small class size and time they devote to learning God's word. However, since they pay the teachers roughly half of what public school teachers make, there are a few duds to avoid. But the vast majority of the teachers there are great and look at it as serving God more than a job.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Cons are some school activities that may not be offered. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Tennis, Track, Band, Swim Team, Debate team, etc.
                  Noted....they do have some athletic activities and will be adding more in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                    Social development if the school is very small or too sheltered. As long as you do what needs to be done to prepare them for the real world that wont be as sheltered or protected than I don't think its ever a problem.
                    Both boys are very outgoing, defiantly not sheltered. They have other interest besides school type activities. The school seems to have a very diverse group of kids.

Comment

Originally posted by JRL View Post
                      My kids go to AFBCS and love it. We really like the small class size and time they devote to learning God's word. However, since they pay the teachers roughly half of what public school teachers make, there are a few duds to avoid. But the vast majority of the teachers there are great and look at it as serving God more than a job.
                      Noted. Alvin ISD has the same issue as well!

Comment

If I were in your shoes I would work my day job, flip burgers at night and throw newspapers in the morning to make the money and put my kids through private. There would be no question, at all.

Comment

No cons that I can think of. But we took it a step further and are homeschooling our kids. Everyone's situation is different though. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                            Mine did private school until junior high......... got a GREAT foundation. We lived in a great district but wanted that solid start for her. If Alvin ISD is sketchy I would not hesitate but I would definitely keep the kid exposed to any and everything possible. Mine loved public school by the way!
                            AISD has changed a lot in the past 30+ years since I went there, as well as most other schools in Texas. It's really more of a Christian values vs. the changing world of moral decline that we are headed into. I'm hardly a saint and have my moments. I'd like to think my kids would choose a better path than I did

Comment

My kids did up to K and they were way ahead of their peers. I couldn't afford to keep sending them so public ed for them...

Comment

Working...
                              X