What thumb release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What thumb release

I’m looking to switch from a wrist strap to thumb release anyone have a recommendation I’m a lefty if that makes any difference.

I love my stan

Comment

Nock on, nock 2 it

Comment

Trufire has one that won't break the bank

Only one I have played with

Comment

I switched this year from wrist tru fire hc to blackout brand thumb release four finger which is made by tru fire

Comment

I’d highly recommend ponying up so that you can spend the $200 for a higher quality release. Regardless of what brand you buy, a trigger with basically no “travel” and an adjustable tension would be my two non-negotiable criteria. It took me 1000’s of shots to figure out how to properly shoot one, but once I did I couldn’t imagine going back to a wrist strap.

All that being said, I personally enjoy shooting my carter wise choice. If I were to start all over, I’d start out with a true tension release like a carter evolution or a nock on silverback.

Comment

I've got a Trufire Edge 4-finger release and I really like it. Just bought another one for a back-up, as a matter of fact.

Comment

Who would go back tension vs thumb? I’ve shot a thumb once or twice so no experience either way.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                  Who would go back tension vs thumb? I’ve shot a thumb once or twice so no experience either way.
                  Do you mean a true tension activated release, or a hinge?

Comment

I suggest the Carter target 3 or target 4. I prefer the straight back and smaller frame size. The isatiable 3 and 4 are basically the same size, but have a curved back. I shot a chocolate 4 for a while and could just not get comfortable with the bulk of it. Stan and tru ball make great releases too, and I think they even make some and brand them as tru Fire.

Which ever you choose, make the full commitment and stick with it.

Comment

I've been shooting a Carter Too Simple for about a year. I was shooting 80 yards with an index release (paper plate groups). I'm not sure a thumb release would make a 20-30 animal shot any easier.
                      With that being said, I enjoy shooting it and will continue too.
                      It's a matter of personal preference.
                      If you do switch, be prepared for some misfires.

Comment

What are the advantages to a thumb release? I’ve only shot a wrist release because I’m scared to make the switch and just like sticking to what I know and am confident with. If I ever made the switch it would have to be in off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                          What are the advantages to a thumb release? I’ve only shot a wrist release because I’m scared to make the switch and just like sticking to what I know and am confident with. If I ever made the switch it would have to be in off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          The working assumption is that a thumb release moves the trigger mechanism from one of the most sensitive areas of your body (tip of index finger) to a less sensitive digit. By doing this, you can rest your finger against the trigger mechanism and execute your shot by pulling against the back wall of your bow with your back muscles. Hence the term “back tension”. This is for a “thumb trigger”. There are a few different types of hand-held releases:

Thumb trigger:most popular with a firing mechanism triggered by adding tension and movement
                          Tension activated: will only go off when a specified amount of pressure is applied
                          Hinge: has “moons” that will fire when the release is rotated within your hand as your hand naturally changes position as you pull with your back. These are often referred to as “back tension” releases
                          Reverse tension: this is an odd duck that not many folks shoot. The trigger goes off much like a tension activated release, but this trigger fires by DECREASING tension

There are pros and cons to all of these types. I’d be happy to go more into detail via PM, if you’d like.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                            If you truly want to shoot with back tension then you probably need to start with a back tension release. If you punch a finger release then odds are heavy you will just punch a thumb. Once you learn how to shoot with back tension on a resistance release then you can do it with a thumb release. It is pretty hard to just grab a thumb release and shoot with back tension if you don't really know how to do it.

With that said these releases offer both a Thumb and Resistance Release that are the same size. That is what I would recommend. I like to switch between the two of them.

Stan Perfex Resistance and Thumb
                            Nock 2 It and Silverback
                            Carter Wise Choice and Evolution

John Dudley has some good videos on all of this if you decide to go in that direction.

Comment

Not to hijack but did they quit making the Nock 2 it? Cannot find any for sale

Comment

Working...
                              X