Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co
Default Why do you bow hunt?

For me setting off a 100 yards or better with a rifle just didn't do it for me after the first bow kill.
It's that thrill the being so close you can hear me crunching on the corn in the dark.
It's here in the impact of the arrow and seeing the blood pour out of them as they run off. Knowing you play the game of chess with a chess master and checkmated them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Yeah, the thrill of the chase and the fulfillment of the catch are good reasons. Just being out there in the woods, being in spitting distance of the animal you are chasing are exhilirating. But the one and only reason that really answers your question is, I have always been a hunter. I cannot remember, not hunting, its always been a part of my life. I have always been intrigued with archery and bowhunting. So when I was able to start bowhunting, it suited me and I enjoyed it to its fullest. It was something that just fit me, kinda like peas and carrots.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #3
fbchunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Thompsons

Being in the woods early. I like the thrill of being close and all that. But it would be a lie if I said it isn’t so I can hunt during/closer to the rut since it’s over before rifle season is here
fbchunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
IowaHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: IA + MA

Challenge, solitude and necessary proximity to prey for a successful kill.
IowaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

The challenge of getting up close and personal and still being able to execute the shot.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 AM   #6
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
For me setting off a 100 yards or better with a rifle just didn't do it for me after the first bow kill.
It's that thrill the being so close you can hear me crunching on the corn in the dark.
It's here in the impact of the arrow and seeing the blood pour out of them as they run off. Knowing you play the game of chess with a chess master and checkmated them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I'd say you described it pretty well.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
Gixxer
Six Point

Hunt In: Hardin county, Central Florida

Finding more places to hunt as it is more easier to get landowner permission with a bow.
Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #8
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Hunting the hard way. I started out gun hunting, was successful. Wanted a bigger challenge, then I picked up a compound bow, That was fun! Zipping those arrows along with carbon arrows and expandibles. Now I'm using a 50/28" recurve with wood arrows and feather fletch. I like getting as close as possible. My ground blinds are at 10-15 yards. Much more exciting than the point and pull trigger hunt IMO. You see so much more activity in the woods during bow season.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I guess climbing up 25 to 30 foot watching the world below with a 10 to 15 mph north wind in October nothing like it.
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #10
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

The silence of the kill and nothing or no one knowing I'm around
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #11
PBUCKSHOT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Three Rivers, Tx

Making that conscious decision to make the hunt harder is what drives me to still pick up my bow these days. I'll be honest, all the HFs and breeding stuff killed the rifle hunting for me. I'm sure it was always there but not as much. I liked it better when I didn't know as much about it. It just seems to easy these days to get that 140'' deer I used to sit in the stand with a rifle waiting for all year. I will definitely still do it but it doesn't excite me like it used to. I get just as much out of trying to close the distance with a doe now. Public hunting with a bow is where its at for me now. Absolutely love it. More DIY bow hunts in the future is the plan.
PBUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #12
gatt40
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever

I killed my first deer with a rifle when I was 8. What a rush, exciting. I am now 67 and killed my first bow buck 2 years ago after 5 years of bow hunting. That same excitement returned. Pure essence of hunting. Hope to continue with the challenges of bow hunting for a few more years if the man upstairs will let me.
gatt40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #13
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Your description is spot on. I like having to figure out wind, cover, shot distance, etc. There is also something cool about doing something other people are not able to do, or are not patient enough to do. That is also why I only bow hunt. I like to be different.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #14
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

A friend told me once...When you see a deer with a rifle the hunt is over, when you see a deer with a bow the hunt has just begun.

It's just to easy to shoot one with a gun, haven't shot one since 1992 with a gun...
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 AM   #15
Lee230
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX & OK Panhandle

All great responses. Taking in all the greatness Mother Nature has to offer. Fresh air, quiet solitude, birds perched on my arrow, squirrels running around the tree with me, and on and on. Having animals within 20 yards or closer feel comfortable does it for me, a successful harvest is just a bonus. Good luck this season to all!!
Lee230 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 AM   #16
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

To scout for first rifle season. to have a hobby during summer. To not go deaf after taking a shot. To clear your mind and focus on one thing, intensely (Almost a meditation level).

But number one is to hunt for elk in the rut.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #17
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

All of my reasons have already been listed, but just the enjoyment of being close. Shooting one with a rifle is so extremely boring and easy that I just don't enjoy it. It has been a long time since I shot a deer with my rifle.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #18
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Killing in close proximity without making a (terribly loud) sound.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #19
Bow_Tech_Body_Man
Four Point

Hunt In: Boerne,Comfort,Centerpoint,Kansas, Carrizo Springs

I love the challenge. I gun hunted into my early twenty's. I picked up strictly bow hunting at age twenty three, twenty six years later still doing it. For me the thrill is still the same as it was all those years ago. It makes me a better hunter, all the disciplines, all the practice and all the patience it takes to be successful.
Bow_Tech_Body_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

The thrill of getting close
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #21
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

You are going to hurt your teeth crunching that corn.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 AM   #22
capn
Four Point

I think the challenge is overrated, personally. Treestands, pop up blinds, corn, and modern compound bows make it pretty easy to consistently kill deer in areas with decent deer density if you know how to hunt. Public land or spot and stalk is a wholly different story of course.

But - I love hunting the various rut phases in October, and I love hunting in open treestands where I can watch the animals right underneath me. Watching does and yearlings feed undisturbed 15 yards away while feeling the first crisp air of the year never gets old.
capn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
Grand Passage
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country & South TX

I like the challenge of getting close and being undetected, defeating the animals senses used for protection.

I also like to "embrace the disadvantage" as my FIL says. I prefer traditional archery for the same reasons I prefer fly fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grand Passage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
riverbowman
Eight Point

I switched to bow only when I started hunting in Oklahoma since the rifle season is so short. It was a challenging couple of years trying to get my first buck, but I was all-in once I had my first harvest.

The icing on the cake was seeing the excited look on my kids faces when critters came within a few feet of our ground blind.
riverbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #25
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I honestly started to have a longer season and better weather. Bow season is 6 weeks, and rifle season in PA is 2 weeks and can be brutally cold. Then I grew to love everything else about archery. I love shooting bows and shoot year round when I am healthy enough.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENRMORE View Post
A friend told me once...When you see a deer with a rifle the hunt is over, when you see a deer with a bow the hunt has just begun.

It's just to easy to shoot one with a gun, haven't shot one since 1992 with a gun...
THiS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
kruppa24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #27
darralld
Six Point

I had no choice. It was bred into me by one of the greats. Miss him every day.

With that said you just can't beat the close encounters & other cool stuff you see that I believe most rifle hunters miss out on.
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #28
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

The thrill of the hunt for sure. Spot and stalk with a bow for axis is even more fun than sitting in a blind. Very challenging but it sure is a blast and very rewarding when you finally get a shot off. Bowhunting in general is a game of inches and the challenge of making the perfect shot at the right time is what it's all about.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #29
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Honestly, to get a month head start on thinning does.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #30
slicktricker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson Co Public Land

Excitement of being close and undetected.
slicktricker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #31
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

When I started out deer hunting Near Palastine,Tx. I was a gun hunter on Type II public land and would always see does and few bucks, and it was Buck only 1.
One year TPWD opened it up to does also but with Archery equipment only, that's the day I became an archery hunter.
I knew nothing about it or anyone that was into it, saw an ad in the newspaper of a person having a going out of business archery shop sale,and he hooked me up with everything and showed how to use all the equipment from the range viewer, to shooting down the arrow shaft no sights.

Funny thing is; I NEVER SAW A DOE AGAIN, BUT GOT MY 1ST AND ONLY BUCK HARVEST WITH ARCHERY EQUIPMENT EVER on that type II property(Unit 120) Guess It's
BEEN ABOUT 30 YRS NOW!

Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 09-18-2018 at 09:48 AM.
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #32
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I like sneaking in on animals undetected, being close enough to hear them eating and see their whiskers. Running an arrow through an animal in the exact spot you wanted it to go is an unbeatable feeling.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #33
LROSE
Ten Point

I started hunting later in life... Killed my first deer 3 years ago with a rifle...Ended that season with another kill....Picked up the bow after that as a bigger challenge. Haven't killed anything with a bow yet. Planning on that to change this year. I don't get to hunt much these days (life gets in the way) but am making an effort to get more time in the woods this season to give myself a chance to let some arrows fly.
LROSE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #34
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sheridan, Victoria, Weesatche and Mississippi

Got into it cause it gave me more days to hunt. Stayed with it cause I'm addicted to getting close.
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #35
Bow_Tech_Body_Man
Four Point

Hunt In: Boerne,Comfort,Centerpoint,Kansas, Carrizo Springs
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn View Post
I think the challenge is overrated, personally. Treestands, pop up blinds, corn, and modern compound bows make it pretty easy to consistently kill deer in areas with decent deer density if you know how to hunt. Public land or spot and stalk is a wholly different story of course.

But - I love hunting the various rut phases in October, and I love hunting in open treestands where I can watch the animals right underneath me. Watching does and yearlings feed undisturbed 15 yards away while feeling the first crisp air of the year never gets old.
I agree with you somewhat in areas with high deer density, not all folks have those areas, Have you ever hunted spot and stock out west on the Kansas plains ? Or eastern Colorado sand hills? no trees, no bait, little or no cover? Belly crawling for hundreds of yards just to get within an acceptable bow range? Its a challenge, or elk hunting in the mountains ? If you haven't give it a go. If I wasn't a bow hunter I would have several booners on my wall, but that is what keeps me going back year after year. Bow hunter till I die, or until I cant draw my bow........
Bow_Tech_Body_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #36
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

there just wasn't any challenge for me when I was using a rifle... just a dead deer walking.
I like the up close and personal way of bowhunting.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #37
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I have been on plenty of challenging rifle hunts, I guess I just stink at hunting because it was not "see a deer kill deer" when rifle hunting. Maybe if you are hunting over a feeder it is. In the mountains of PA it was definitely not that easy. I know we as bowhunters love to say there is no challenge to rifle hunting but I really don't feel that is always the case.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #38
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

No challenge with a gun anymore.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50 AM   #39
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

The thrill of being close enough you can hear there foot steps coming towards you and trying to hold composure when that big one is standing in bow range.
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #40
Bish
Ten Point

Because gun hunting is to easy at times, this was about 38yrs ago, BIL and I

God Bless
Bish
Attached Images

Bish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #41
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
I have been on plenty of challenging rifle hunts, I guess I just stink at hunting because it was not "see a deer kill deer" when rifle hunting. Maybe if you are hunting over a feeder it is. In the mountains of PA it was definitely not that easy. I know we as bowhunters love to say there is no challenge to rifle hunting but I really don't feel that is always the case.
At my old place, the challenge was almost entirely in locating a mature buck you wanted to harvest. I'd see tons of youngsters and does, but the heavy river bottom brush did a great job of providing tons of cover for the older, smarter bucks. If I'd have been exclusively bowhunting, zero chance I'd have ever taken a mature buck in the time I owned the place. Had like 3 total opportunities in the 4 years I was there and only got a shot off on 1. They were definitely there, just very smart and hard to see during the day.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #42
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Because I am a bowhunter....

Kinda of hard to really explain properly. It is just how I like to hunt. It feels better... It feels right. No matter how frustrating it can be at times... it is just the way I like to hunt.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #43
CSIceman
Eight Point

Hunt In: The Farm & Tha C

I bow hunt because it is fun and it's challenging. Same reason I rifle hunt as well. Fortunately, I do not see hunting as a contest with anyone or any animal. I've killed a lot of animals with my bow and a lot of animals with my rifle and enjoy them equally and each for different reasons. I hunt to spend time in nature, with friends/family and to get away from the rat race of daily life. I just enjoy the experience regardless of the weapon I carry. Few things excite me more than chasing big mule deer in the sandhills of the panhandle or pronghorn in the flat country up there with my .270 so saying it's not a challenge and doesn't do it for me just does not apply in my circumstance. I love hunting with any weapon because it's always with great company.
CSIceman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #44
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

For me hunting period is about camaraderie with like minded conservationist in the great outdoors. Adding archery as a tool does a few things: adds a level of extra challenge, extends hunting season and allows for more venison in the freezer.

Last edited by dbaio1; 09-18-2018 at 11:48 AM.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 PM   #45
cactusassjohn
Four Point

Hunt In: nebraska/texas/south dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiceman View Post
i bow hunt because it is fun and it's challenging. Same reason i rifle hunt as well. Fortunately, i do not see hunting as a contest with anyone or any animal. I've killed a lot of animals with my bow and a lot of animals with my rifle and enjoy them equally and each for different reasons. I hunt to spend time in nature, with friends/family and to get away from the rat race of daily life. I just enjoy the experience regardless of the weapon i carry. Few things excite me more than chasing big mule deer in the sandhills of the panhandle or pronghorn in the flat country up there with my .270 so saying it's not a challenge and doesn't do it for me just does not apply in my circumstance. I love hunting with any weapon because it's always with great company.
this!
cactusassjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #46
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Because I am a bowhunter....

Kinda of hard to really explain properly. It is just how I like to hunt. It feels better... It feels right. No matter how frustrating it can be at times... it is just the way I like to hunt.
This. Enjoy using a bow and the different skills. Nothing against gun hunting, but there's just something abot a bow and flinging arrows.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #47
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

The RUSH. that is why I do it.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #48
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I helped my Dad for several years (while I was a waterfowling junkie) clean up their doe and cull buck tags on his 6500 acre MLD3 property when 90% of the lease members were there to kill a trophy and a cull worth getting a euro mount on.... Killing that many does and cull bucks for several years will make you lose interest quick. Hell I even bought a brand new 7mm-08 TC Encore Pro Hunter for it and he decided to get off himself in 2008. I sold it soon after because I knew that bowhunting only was the way I was headed on my own lease and I had my other rifles if I ever needed them again. I think I have two deer killed with a rifle since then....both head shot does. One was after a shoulder injury on the last weekend of season and I needed a deer for sausage and one was a meat hunt on somebody else's property.

I just like the up close and personal aspect of bowhunting......I like the shot not being automatic. I like the extra prep...I like watching the deer interact.... I like the tracking (well most lol). I just like everything about it except getting busted.

Would I kill another deer with a rifle? Yes but it's not something I would be pressing to do unless needed or required. Pigs or varmints are a different story. I bought a new 22-250 to earhole a few...but a bow will still be preferred. No problems here with folks using them on deer....It's just not me.

Really and truly I like the year long prep, lease work and get togethers at camp. Killing is just the cherry on top of a full blown banana split. I just like to see the eyes of my cherry before I run an arrow through it....

Last edited by Smart; 09-18-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #49
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

more time to hunt
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #50
Hammerdown15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Warren, Tx

For me, I love shooting my bow. Getting to hunt with it is a bonus. As others have mentioned, being so close to the game is exhilarating. Like the OP, I stopped seeing the “sport” in sitting in a box blind 100-200 yards away over a feeder. I like the challenge of scouting for a great location, playing the wind, and getting within 20-30 yards of an animal without being detected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammerdown15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top