Miniature donkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miniature donkeys

Who has experience with them? I read lots of good things. They apparently need very little grain and live mainly on grazing and hay (don't even need the good stuff). They also can live to be 50 years old per the internet. Most everyone suggests to get a pair as they are very social and cows, horses will generally not keep them "company". My two young girls would probably be obsessed with them.

Concerns: I want to keep them at the weekend place so I'd need to get the cattle guy to feed/tend to them a majority of the time. Also worried about coyotes in the area and unsure how vulnerable a mini donk (or pair) would be. I'm worried about hidden costs (hoof trimming, vet/medicine bills, etc.).

Talk me out of it (or into it) - i haven't made up my mind...

We have had some for 5+ years. They are very gentle like pets. We let them out and they come play in the yard with the kids and then we put them back when finished. They are pretty easy keepers and do not tear much up. They are pretty hardy animals. I deworm with ivomec once a year and that's about it. I give them a scoop of feed every now and then mostly to keep them gentle and tame. Donkeys are very protective against coyotes. Ours will run towards and run off any dog or coyote in the pasture. We have 2 females.

Comment

you should get them, I bought my girls a pair of females-yes you need a minimum of two.-One of them ended up being pregnant so we have 3, They are the best pets, very calm and docile.I also keep ours at our weekend place ,They do just fine during the week, no maintenance on them at all.no special diet or extra feed is required,I put a round bail out for them in November and 3/4 of it is still there-they eat the dormant coastal Bermuda just fine.When we drive up on Fridays they see us coming and start braying-the kids feed them animal crackers for there "treat".From everything I've read they will kill a coyote no problem,,in the 3 years we have had ours no problems with any coyotes or any thing else.-Do it.

Comment

You can spend as much or as little on them as you want. I have 5 full sized ones right now. I have had them for 15+ years. They are bomb proof.

Food makes them friendly and it also makes them mad if they think they are supposed to get some and you don't give it to them.

Most people don't do anything with them. Some worm periodically. A few have their hooves trimmed and a vet yearly visit.

Good luck. They are fun.

Comment

What is the typical price paid and could they roam free on acreage? Any adverse issues with deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
            What is the typical price paid and could they roam free on acreage? Any adverse issues with deer?

Another good question. I assumed that the fencing would be fine for the mini donkeys if it worked for the cows (mostly 5 strand with top strand barbed). I'd rather them free range but could pen them up as/when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post

Another good question. I assumed that the fencing would be fine for the mini donkeys if it worked for the cows (mostly 5 strand with top strand barbed). I'd rather them free range but could pen them up as/when needed. Mine would be adjacent to the deer hunting area on my place but figured if they ran off coyotes (as full size donkeys do) then the deer might favor the place!

Comment

Standard 5 wire fence is fine. I gave 11 away this weekend

Comment

I have given about a dozen donkeys away over the years. They are always free when you don't want them. I paid $250 total for 2 full size females this past summer because I needed them.

Our deer bed down around the donkeys. I guess they feel safer.

Comment

They kill Yotes, and are fine around deer. I've got a couple friends that keep them in their cow pastures to protect calves.

Comment

Brother has one he paired with a mini horse. Kids absolutely love em. He has a Montessori school and the kiddos take care of them. No crazy bills that come with him that he has told me about in the 2 years he has had them.

Comment

My wife has one at our house. He's the tamest and nicest donkey I've ever been around.

Good around dogs, people and kids.

Very very vocal!

Comment

If using them for controlling coyote traffic or predation, I would only put a bred female with the herd. She is going to bond with the herd better and then protect them or her young to any predators. With a male and female/young together they will stay together as a herd and not with the cattle. The older a jack gets and they can get very aggressive around your pets...we had about 5 head(1 jack, 3 jennys and 2 young) on a ranch I managed. The jack grab my lab one day and about killed her. My lab was around them everyday but that day the owner/family was there feeding the mini-donkeys and the jack did not like the dog around. They are noisy also. One thing I did not like was them braying next to my house at all hours since I wanted the peace and quiet of country life. A ranch down the highway about 7 miles from me raises them and has over 50 head of the mini donkeys.

Comment

When I got my donkey, I looked into a mini, but everything I referenced said mini's didn't protect livestock very well. I went with a standard young female. Put her in with my goats and she chased, stomped, and kicked them. She's in a pasture by herself now. In my area, you better be sure you want one before you get it because it's hard to give them away!

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                              If using them for controlling coyote traffic or predation, I would only put a bred female with the herd. She is going to bond with the herd better and then protect them or her young to any predators. With a male and female/young together they will stay together as a herd and not with the cattle. The older a jack gets and they can get very aggressive around your pets...we had about 5 head(1 jack, 3 jennys and 2 young) on a ranch I managed. The jack grab my lab one day and about killed her. My lab was around them everyday but that day the owner/family was there feeding the mini-donkeys and the jack did not like the dog around. They are noisy also. One thing I did not like was them braying next to my house at all hours since I wanted the peace and quiet of country life. A ranch down the highway about 7 miles from me raises them and has over 50 head of the mini donkeys.
                              I agree with most of what is stated here. I'll add that if you're children have a cat outside the gate with them, and run and play with the cat, donkeys don't care for that. Our oldest jenny attacked the cat, and subsequently our daughter who tried to scoop up the cat and carry him to safety, about 3 years ago. The jenny thought she was doing the right thing, but the damage was already done. We put her down and sold the rest of them due to our daughters fear of going anywhere alone for a while. She's perfectly fine now, but the first year or so was rough.

They're fierce protectors of cattle, and youngun's...I hated to put her down, but CDC required it. Just teach your kids to respect them

Comment

Working...
                              X