How close is too close from stand to stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
    Is there a rule in place? If not, then I wouldn't be moving. Our place has a rule of 300 yards but then again we are bow only.

There’s no written rule but i am the new guy and he is the lease manager. Like i said I’ll move 150 yards or so further and it’s fine but I’ll hunt the stand during bow season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
      It depends on how thick the place is imo. 500 yards away is common in East Texas. But up in North Texas, I would corn my lanes out to 500 yards because I could see that far. I think it just depends
      500 yards in East Texas ????, wishful thinking. I've found its more like 200 yards if you're lucky, and if other hunters find out you feed heavy its closer to 100 yards.

Comment

A few hundred is plenty, for someone to gripe about 500-600 just means they have a propensity for drama.

Comment

In East Texas 300-400 would be minimum. Most everywhere else 600

Comment

I have 4 stands or feeders within 600 yds of my feeder. Closest one is 310 feeder to feeder. Its the landowners and they don't hunt much. This in the post oaks

Comment

We are anywhere from 375-800 yards between each of the 14 stands...but we are all bowhunters on property with several ridges and good tree cover so it works out fine. Seeing the same deer is nothing new for us. That can happen on the stands that are a mile apart on opposite ends of the property. It happens..it just adds to the challenge.

Comment

IF you can hear each other's feeders going off, your too close......

Comment

IMO 600 yards is plenty unless there was a rule in place prior to set up.
                  Moving 150-200 yards isnt going to change much.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                    IMO 600 yards is plenty unless there was a rule in place prior to set up.
                    Moving 150-200 yards isnt going to change much.
                    This

If I am hunting with people I know I don't care if we can see each other

Mostly hunt with a bow so 100yds is farther than either one of us is going to shoot halfway

Important thing is to know where each person is in relation to you so you don't accidentally shoot each other

Comment

I think 600 is plenty, especially since the one that risks anything in this situation is the bow hunter, you!

Comment

I think it all depends on the situation. If you know who you’re hunting with and have good rules in place it doesn’t matter if you can see each other. That being said, our closest one is probably 500+ yards but it’s THICK in between. All the other ones are pretty spread out.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                          IF you can hear each other's feeders going off, your too close......

He didn’t even know i was back there till he went to set the hog trap with me

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                            500 yards in East Texas ????, wishful thinking. I've found its more like 200 yards if you're lucky, and if other hunters find out you feed heavy its closer to 100 yards.

I thought we were the only ones. 200-300 is probably the average on our lease. We have some that are closer but we coordinate hunting locations in our camp so we aren’t sitting in the close ones.

Comment

It depends on the situation. I have been on a couple where it was 300 yards through thick woods, and 400+ on pipelines or power lines. On a wide open pipeline I think 400 is too close and would prefer 600. With 400, what happens when that monster buck shows up in the middle? This is based on East Texas leases by the way.

Comment

We are around 900-1000 yards in east Texas but we each have acquired multiple spots to obtain this kind of spacing. Prior to that we were 4-600 yards from eachother

Comment

Working...
                                X