Colorado camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado camping

Looking for recommendations for me and my wife to camp (in a tent) sometime after Labor Day in Colorado. Creek or lake with some fishing close is a must. And close enough to a relatively large town for Kathy not to kill me and leave me for the wolves. Not too wilderness but not too touristy if you know what I mean. Seeing a lot of places closing after Labor Day. Thanks

Williams creek just up the road from Pagosa Springs. Camping, a resovoir, a creek and plenty of hiking.

Comment

I would second the Pagosa Springs area. Beautiful area for sure.

Comment

I would say the same. I have went to the area elk hunting the last 3 years and it is really nice.

Comment

I like the San Juan Mtns in La Plata county. I also like the areas in Delores county.

Comment

Pagosa. Head north on 160 about 6-7 miles, and turn right on East Fork Rd. The road is appprox 10-12 miles of campable ground all right on the San Juan River. Tons of established primitive campsites along the way, with outhouses every few miles. Usually the first 2-3 miles you will see campers. The further back you go the less people you will see.

Comment

Thanks, guys

Comment

Great suggestions mentioned above!

Comment

Those are all good recommendations. This thread must have a plug for Lake City also. Absolutely stunning scenery near a much smaller town than Pagosa or Durango. and you can have a real good chance of putting your eye on a moose or two.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Done Lake City, easeup. Did see moose. One toad mule deer buck. Had rain but over all the scenery was great!

Comment

Buckles lake near pagosa

Comment

Anywhere between South Fork and Lake City

Comment

Pagosa Springs - Jackson Mountain. dispersed free camping.

Comment

Lake Vallecito is a great place to camp.

Comment

Working...
                            X