Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-18-2019, 11:22 PM   #1
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba, Burnet
Default skiing with 4 yr old

How many of you have been skiing with young kids? My youngest is 4 and we are thinking of going skiing for spring break. Any recommendations?

Leaning toward Angel Fire because it's one of the closest for us to drive to.

I'm not a skier. I've only been 2 times when I was in college and didn't ski much on those trips.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #2
CooterBrown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

We’re headed to Durango, CO in mid February with our 3 kids (10,8 & 4). The older two ski, the youngest will go to the day care on the mountain.
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 01:55 AM   #3
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

I would skip it for a few years. I would want to include all my family and putting one in a daycare with strangers while the rest of the fam had fun would ruin it for me YMMV
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 03:42 AM   #4
abilliott
Four Point

We just got back from Taos, I had 4 kiddos with me 12,10,5 and 2. Since Taos offers ski school on ages 3 and up you should be able to take advantage of that. My kids had the best time... even the 5 year old that was in school. Taos also had some really great instructors and a very nice/safe setup for the little ones. I will say this though for you Taos is a tougher mountain to ski as a beginner and I cannot attest to how good the others ski schools are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abilliott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

We like Red River. Just got back from our fifth trip there to ski. The first year we went there my youngest was four and he loved it.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
rbsears
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan Co

We started all our boys at age 4 in private lessons. Now the youngest is 7 and the whole family skis the mountain together.
rbsears is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #7
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Several things to remember: The whole group is limited by the one with the least ability. Spring break week is the busiest time to go. So make reservations for everything including ski rentals and instructors or classes.

At four it may be hard to find classes. Since you all have not been much you could hire a private instructor for the group. If you can find one that will allow a 4 year old.

The best would be snow / daycare program wihike you guys ski. We hated leaving our little ones so we have done it both ways.
TXHunter12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
jlp04c
Six Point

Started our son at 2, he played way more than he wanted to ski. 4 years later, he can literally bomb any hill on the slope and dad can't keep up . I say take em, don't expect much. And just have fun being on the mountain as a family.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

The older I get the less I like the large mountains and crowds. That said, I absolutely loved Red River last year. First time there. Going back in 3 weeks. You can walk everywhere after arrival. We will drive 30 minutes to Taos one day for some hardcore board action.

Put the kids in a half day class. After lunch you can play with them for a couple of hours.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 01-19-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

take them, the early the better! They have lessons for kids that age and I've had them that age fly by me.
We've taken several trips to Angel Fire in NM, going again end of this month.
Of course, my kids are much older now but when they were young we went, got on the lift to the top, we all got off together, looked around and they were GONE down the mountain ... took to it like a duck to water.
We love going together!
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The next Bode Miller start them young.You never know
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #12
Bisch
Pope & Young

Put your 4yr old in a lesson the first day, and he will probably be skiing circles around you on the second day!!! Kids pick it up easy.

And Angelfire is a great place, as long as there is good snow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Put your 4yr old in a lesson the first day, and he will probably be skiing circles around you on the second day!!! Kids pick it up easy.

And Angelfire is a great place, as long as there is good snow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This^^^^^.....my Wife and I started our kids off when they were six or seven. I wouldnít dare try to keep up with them to this day. I donít mind Diamond trails but when they want to go Double Diamond I just meet them down the slope. glad we started them early....Plus, at the younger age they start out snow-plowing and catch on quickly from there. They have them in ski helmets as well.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
lnester
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lufkin

Ski school. At that age (4), the ski school will ski for an hour, head in for 30 minutes, then ski another hour, rinse, repeat. The instructors will take good care of your child.

You and the rest of your family can go enjoy the mountain.

As for location, Taos is hard to beat, or Wolf Creek. Good year for snow, go get after it!
lnester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

We go annually. Classes are awesome to teach the youngins...most instructors are great! The peer social environment helps them learn from each other. But if the classes are too big... the class gets naturally held back to the weakest skiier which retards the quick learners advancement...IMO. Im swapping from snowboarding to skiing so I can harness my 4 yr old and ski with her.

I like to stay in rear trail and have another adult leader. Having an adult in rear trail helps not having to hump back up hill if the youngin wipes out and has a melt down. A leader gives newbie skiier kiddos confidence that the fall line can be cut or attacked head on depending on the aggresiveness of the trail.

Patience will be tested.

Have a great time Dad!
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #16
StrayDog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

If adults/older kids don’t have much experience skiing then I’d say skip Taos - it’s great for the advanced skier but rule number 1 for skiing is have fun.

I’d also highly encourage getting all the kids into skiing - if you stick with it I see people skiing well into their 60’s and 70’s. Skiing is one of the few things I see teenagers enjoying with their parents.

Santa Fe is nice and a great family hill - you just have to drive to/from town about 30 minutes each way. Red River is cool - small, less challenging hill in a nice town.

I just got back from Big Sky Montana and we rented a small ski-in, ski-out cabin with a hot tub, grill, kitchen, wi-fi. If I had a family I’d try and find arrangements like this - throw something in the crockpot and at the end of the day you ski straight to the cabin and relax and eat whenever you want. Get tired - just head back for a mid-day rest.

Last edited by StrayDog; 01-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.
StrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #17
drbonner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Youd be shocked at how well a 4 year old picks up on skiing.
drbonner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #18
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Little kids from about 3-5, pick up on skiing and snowboarding probably faster than any other age group. Put them in group lessons for about 2 or 3 days and they will shock you. Never fails seeing a group of little skiers and boarders and they are shredding.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #19
deerplanter
Ten Point

When my kids were little we would go to red river and ruidoso.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #20
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

Take them while they’re young and it’ll be like riding a bike when they get older.
Raider Power is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #21
ladrones
Pope & Young

The earlier the better for kids. The little ones can pick it up fast.

Another bonus is that all of the NM ski areas have excellent snow this early ski season.

I was in Ruidoso last evening and the town is as busy as itís been in a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladrones is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #22
PEC
Ten Point

Don’t miss out on a great vacation because your child is 4. 1-2 days of ski school and they will be able to ski most blues and any green. You will be more miserable if you wait because their learning curve will be flatter. Sking is my favorite family vacation, and my daughter started at 4.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
Little kids from about 3-5, pick up on skiing and snowboarding probably faster than any other age group. Put them in group lessons for about 2 or 3 days and they will shock you. Never fails seeing a group of little skiers and boarders and they are shredding.
Grommets, as they call them, are awesome.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM   #24
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayDog View Post
If adults/older kids donít have much experience skiing then Iíd say skip Taos - itís great for the advanced skier but rule number 1 for skiing is have fun.

Iíd also highly encourage getting all the kids into skiing - if you stick with it I see people skiing well into their 60ís and 70ís. Skiing is one of the few things I see teenagers enjoying with their parents.

Santa Fe is nice and a great family hill - you just have to drive to/from town about 30 minutes each way. Red River is cool - small, less challenging hill in a nice town.

I just got back from Big Sky Montana and we rented a small ski-in, ski-out cabin with a hot tub, grill, kitchen, wi-fi. If I had a family Iíd try and find arrangements like this - throw something in the crockpot and at the end of the day you ski straight to the cabin and relax and eat whenever you want. Get tired - just head back for a mid-day rest.
Nothing really that challenging at Santa Fe either. Taos is pretty much the only mountain in NM with true double blacks....and boy lemme tell ya they have some doozies. Lol.

Santa Fe is a great little mountain. Love it.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #25
tminc
Eight Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

AngelFire is a great beginners slope, and i wish i would have started at 4/ Raising them right! Have a blast.
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #26
msemmler
Four Point

My son is now 5, but started when he was two. We snowboard, not ski, but we never put in a class just spent some time with him on the bunny slopes. He can make it down any green run now. Don't expect to enjoy the whole mountain with the little ones unless you want to put them in ski school.

He also doesn't last the whole day... it wears him out. He loves taking breaks at the mid mountain lodge for some hot chocolate.
msemmler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top