Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Hunt In: Centerville, Tx
Default Management/Hog help *pic heavy*

Ok, so Im not ashamed to admit, I need help. One being setting up my property to keep deer coming. And two, finding these hogs.

Story, I have had a hog problem for sometime now with them rooting up approximately 100acres all of grazing area for cattle. Confirmed sightings by my Grandfather, Uncle and cousin have stated to have seen a boar approximately 300-400lbs with tusks measuring 6-7in in width. I have myself have seen his tracks and root marks. At any given time there are 3-4 hogs on the property but in upwards of 10-12 have been spotted numerous times. I cant get them to come to my feeders and I have not seen them personally. But I have pics to prove what they have done to the property.

Deer. I have numerous pics of does on my property coming to the feeders but mostly at night. On the northern most part of the property is where the bucks have been spotted. This where my cousin who I stated in an early post had harvested a 203. He conintuely sees 5 bucks cross my property to what I believe is to get water. I have a feeder in place with camera to hopefully catch these boogers on camera.

Thanks for your help guys

Key: Red line - property line
Green lines- Game trails and heavy
Red star- feeder and camera
Black star- where I am thinking of placing feeder and camera
Blue line-creek
Brown square-hog rooting
Attached Images

Txfirerescue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

First pic, northern most part of property
Second pic, west part of property
Thrid pic, east part

I left out the southern most since that is a hay bailing field and I leave it alone for the most part.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Silent Assassin
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Suburban hunt, Public Lands and anywhere I'm invited

Set up along the blue line inside the woods! Hogs travel there more often than not. Good luck!

On ur 2nd pic ur stars shd b opposite side of where u were thinking. My guesses only. If I was there could give a better assessment but thats the best I can with pics provided

Last edited by Silent Assassin; 02-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Silent Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Hard to explain the blue line, its a creek bottom. Impossible to get in or out cause of steep sides, the only way in or out is a game trail I followed which is near the red star (currently where my feeder is at) and our in the open where there is no brush. There is a culvert to cross.

On the east side pic, the heavy brush is where I have pretty much figured out where they are staying. The trails are big enough for a pig to get through but no way big enough to get through for a human, that's why I consider putting the feeders there
Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Time for some clearing I guess
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
huntingaddict

Ok im not much for hunting these hogs but ive read that if u get a big huge can of corn and leave it in a plastic bag and leave in the sun for a week or two it will reak and stink like bad . They will smell it and come a runin. Hello kole im david . New comer to bow hunting and this sight . I and my son and wife would love to meet you sometime and help you out . If we kill these hogs we will give you the meat. Ive watched how to process them so its not hard at all . As for that 3or 4 hundred pound hog your going to have to shoot that mother with an elephant gun lol . 50 cal musket or black powder rifle will do it . If you want you could call us once we all get to know each other . Hope you reply partner .
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
huntingaddict

Hers another thought put your feeder right next to the creek bed thats where they waller and feed also . Then set up a blind and sit there real early in the mornin.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
huntingaddict

Dont know if you got my private nessage or not . My wife is a graduated emt . Lol she asked please let us kill your hogs lol.try those traps also . You know they eat rotton meat also . So leave some chicken out and let it rot for a while . They are like alegaitors they eat anything .
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
native_texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado and Edwards Counties

1. Get several trail cams set up in different places.

2. Set up your ambushs with corn soaked in diesel fuel. They love it.

3. Get several sets of hunters ... all set up at the same time; patience, patience, patience.

4. Use AR-15's with 30 round magazines and red dot scopes (for faster target acquisition).

5. Fire at will.
native_texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Well I'm gonna shoot this hog with my bow hell or high water. I have never seen it, just seen his signs and everyone else has seen.

I've put out numerous attractants but haven't had any luck. The problem with traps is I'm not there but 2 to 3 days out of the month. I'm trying to get them to the feeder and regularly so I can get them when I'm there. Not sure if that's feasible or not.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
huntingaddict

Well i live in spring and we go to willis alot to drop the kids off at the dads maybe we could drive up and check it for you if you like . Kole we arent trying to be pushy ok we are new at all this and well hunting is very very exspensive and we would love to make friends with people in this bowhunter comunity .
Old 02-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Oh yes, expensive definitely. Friends are always welcomed
Old 02-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
huntingaddict

Maybe we could cordanate a hunt with like 7 or 8 people i know 5 right off the bat lol.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
huntingaddict

If we exchange phone numbers maybe we could meet to discuss a stratagy. Our email is dhall0318@aol.com if you wanna leave a number .
Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Cibalo Creek
Four Point

Hunt In: Boerne,and Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfirerescue View Post
Well I'm gonna shoot this hog with my bow hell or high water. I have never seen it, just seen his signs and everyone else has seen.

I've put out numerous attractants but haven't had any luck. The problem with traps is I'm not there but 2 to 3 days out of the month. I'm trying to get them to the feeder and regularly so I can get them when I'm there. Not sure if that's feasible or not.
If u want to shoot him with bow, use tripod and set up in area where u have seen the pigs. Use tree line for cover. Use a post hole digger and make hole 15-20 yards up wind from tripod. Hole should be 3-4 feet deep. Soak corn in diesel fuel, or beer til sour. Pour down hole. usally keeps pigs in area 3-4 days while they work on area. Good luck
Cibalo Creek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
huntingaddict

Hey we would even be will to help out on your farm for payment lol. Ima **** good cook also i make a hell of great pot of etufee jumblia
Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #18
huntingaddict

Lol well i beat that horse didnt i lol never go tan answer of offering help lol.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
Silent Assassin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
Lol well i beat that horse didnt i lol never go tan answer of offering help lol.
Dadgum, you sure heck did and now that horse isn't answering back cuz you just beaten him to death! You must be desperate to find some place to hunt hogs?

To the op, hogs r very smart, creature of habits and nocturnals at most of the time.

You gotta outsmart em! Like Native Texan say, the best way is t.c. To give you an intel on its activities and patterns.

You can't just go and set up everything, thinking that youve got it made.

Hogs will pattern you quick. So, try to pattern em, be patient, find sweet spot, I can almost guarantee you itll be down by the creek or near it.

When you have em down like u know back of your hand. Its time to go for the kill.

It took almost three months before they start frequent the feeder I set up for first time near the creek bottoms.

Research and development on your own on what works and what doesn't for your hogs in the area and youll reap what you sow!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

If you have that much rooting...then you have lots of hogs...more than a dozen. I have 40-50 hogs or more under my feeders at one time and don't have the rooting that u do.

Hogs are never gonna be caught during daylight hours in the wide open pastures. Its either gonna be ambush them at night or make it thicker for them. Just like deer they prefer thicker cover during daylight.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
GarGuy
Pope & Young

We have a bright moon right now an realitively clear night. Unless you dead set on killing them with a bow, You could get out there an sneak right up on them where they are rooting in the moonlight.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
huntingaddict

Default Help a newby

Well yes im desperate didnt u see my screen name hunting addict lol. Realy im lookinghg for a mentor or a hunting budy . I dont know anyone or have ever bow hunted . My son sorta wants to try it and the wife is to busy with school and work . Any sugestions guys
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
Silent Assassin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Well yes im desperate didnt u see my screen name hunting addict lol. Realy im lookinghg for a mentor or a hunting budy . I dont know anyone or have ever bow hunted . My son sorta wants to try it and the wife is to busy with school and work . Any sugestions guys
:thumbup:

If you were close by, Id take you out on our ranch.

Good luck and maybe one of good guys from gs may take you up for hog hunting.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #24
huntingaddict

Well hell thank u for the invite . I think its like 3 or 4 hr drive to caldwell county.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
huntingaddict

Heck if u know txfireresue talk to him for me lol i live like 1 1/2 hrs from his ranch .
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #26
huntingaddict

Well im outa here yall take care
Old 02-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #27
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Thanks for the replies guys....

and sorry not getting back soon enough. As for the help, I dont mind, only thing is, as you see I have a ranch. Im very selective on who I bring and what I do on the property. With being said I have 3 other hunters helping me out as of right now (in laws). They pay for the up keep on the property and we hunt together. It can get quite hectic and clutter very easily.

This is my Grandfathers land (which is being handed down to me) and he, well let just say, is picky.

I really do thank yall for the replies and would like to continue hearing them. I am heading out there in 2wks to check cameras, restock feeders and possibly move them.

Hopefully i wil have pics to post
Old 02-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
If you have that much rooting...then you have lots of hogs...more than a dozen. I have 40-50 hogs or more under my feeders at one time and don't have the rooting that u do.

Hogs are never gonna be caught during daylight hours in the wide open pastures. Its either gonna be ambush them at night or make it thicker for them. Just like deer they prefer thicker cover during daylight.
funny you say that, when seen by my family they are crossing the large fields in the day. the 3 that have been shot so far were all between 8am and 11am

but since, have not...I have come to the conclusion they are coming out between midnight and 5am
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #29
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

This got me thinking, this is a zoomed in spot I did not point out on the early pics. This is where they have completely rooted up the property. Once again, everything in brown is rooting and green is the game trails...these arent the most recent rooting areas. They frequent the creek areas.

Should I stick to the creek areas?
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #30
Silent Assassin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfirerescue View Post
This got me thinking, this is a zoomed in spot I did not point out on the early pics. This is where they have completely rooted up the property. Once again, everything in brown is rooting and green is the game trails...these arent the most recent rooting areas. They frequent the creek areas.

Should I stick to the creek areas?
Stick to the creek area for consistiency but if you want to do a spot n stalk, do it under full moon night out in the open pasture when they are rooting.

They feel more comfortable in the cover near creek because thats their exit route. They are skittish out in the open.

You said your family saw them between 8-11 A.M. and they made the shot at em? If so, they just patterned yall, and went nocturnal!

Always remember this, they are very crafty and smart animal! All you gotta do is to outsmart and study em hard and know their feeding time which I can almost guarantee you, 9 P.M.-6 A.M. My hogs are like that, only few times, Ive seen them out in evenings is a young hogs who may have lost its mother or father that roams without much of education they get from its parents or never pressured during that hours and they slip up and make the mistakes until I shoot im up before they learn from it.

Be prepared to track em if you are using bow. Bring your hogkiller sidearm, not puny 9mm with hollow point if you are tracking at night. You need a knockdown power sidearm. In between eyes, take no chances.

Hog hunting is fun but also dangerous. Know what ya doing and bring all you need with you to be prepared.

I am rooting for your success! Post up LDP! :thumbup:

Good luck, brother!

Another not so secret sauce, use jello mix with sugar, watermelon or strawberry flavor and bud light mixed in 5 gal bucket w corn! Spread em out near creek where the wallows are. They may come quick or they may study it a while before eating it. Put t.c. Over it as well.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #31
demtx
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells, McMullen

My one suggestion, if you want to attract/keep deer, is to have feeder pens. It's best to have pen and stand in place before you start feeding. If the hogs aren't used to feeding there they are a lot less likely to try to break in.
demtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

How big of a pen would you say?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 AM   #33
huntingaddict

sory kole for being som pushy lol. im new to all this and well i just dont know how to get started . have no friends that hunt .
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #34
Kingslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: I need a lease for 2017

Quote:
sory kole for being som pushy lol. im new to all this and well i just dont know how to get started . have no friends that hunt .
That ship done sailed cowboy
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #35
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Baitting hogs in with The posthole digger is one of the best stand set ups you can have once they start hitting It. Also if you are going to try and bowhunt the bigger hog you will have to hunt him at night to even get a chance at him i would bet. Once you start getting pictures of him it will help more on narrowing down the Time but, My best bet is to get a friend and pair up. Get you a good rechangeable spot light with a red lens and it does not have to be a big one. Get you a good blue light set up on your sight pens with a high and low setting on the light power and set you up a good double stand set up for you and a friend and get after them. After you get used to huntting them at night it does not get any easyer. They will not spook on the red light and it is so much easyer to shoot them at night because they calm down so much more. Also Dark nights are the best. Just sit back and listen. You will know one is there when you hear them eatting. Once you turn on the light leave it on. On and off will spook them more than just leaving it on once you have them lite up they will just continue to feed like normal. Good luck
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #36
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

Bro if you're not seeing the hogs at all they're either not there OR in the thick stuff. Certain times of year they have plenty of food in the thickets and dont have to come out at all. If they're in the thick stuff obviously you have to go in there after em. Stalk slow and listen a lot! If there's a big spot ("100acres") that they're rooting set a cam up on a t-post in the field where they're rooting and find out what time they're doing it. Then get the wind right and stick em!

Last edited by Cuz; 02-10-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
Redneck Archer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Michigan and Kentucky

if you were closer I would let you use my hog traps that are sitting dormant right now.

we did a pretty good job on my wifes grandfathers ranch. we thinned em down pretty darn good.

and several nights with 3 of us out having some beers with 12 gauges with buckshot probably helped to.
Redneck Archer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
Cuz
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post

I'm sorry but this is just simply not true. Just yesterday I counted a herd of 19 hogs at 4:15 pm right out in the middle of a wide open field rooting. They are more inclined to be in the open during the night but it's not uncommon to see them rooting in the daytime...
Old 02-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #39
Txfirerescue
Ten Point

All great info guys. I disagree though that they have left. There's new rooting almost every morning and there isn't new stuff it's there a couple days later.

The post hole with 2 stands is what I'm shooting for. My bow is set up with a green stabilizer light with pressure switch which illuminates up to about 100yards. It's awesome. I actually had something walk up on me at night with it on and it didn't spook it. But than again they were in heavy brush and never came out. I'm really starting to think this hog is smarter than me lol
Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #40
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

A few things to think about and they may or may not apply to your place. First, they are going to travel creeks and creekbeds. Even when dry they, and deer, will use them as a travel corridor. Not necessarily down in the bottom of the creekbed either. They will travel from cover to feed along the edges or in the brush growing along them as well as in the bottom.

Second, hogs are somewhat migratory. Sometimes they move in, root up a big area over the course of a few nights and then move on. I have hunted a number of places that could have a ton or could have none. They move thru as food sources and/or water become available or run out. The only rooting that really matters is the stuff that was just done. If it was rooted up a couple weeks ago that is old news and they may not even be anywhere around there now. It is not unusual to have hogs totally leave your property for periods of time and then when the food and/or water is right they come back in force. They are not necessarily going to always be there.

Third, they don't take much pressure to go noctournal. If there are people out there regularly and the hogs get shot at anytime they are seen it only takes shooting at them with a rifle a few times and they will go noctournal for a long time.

IMO your best bet is to identify the thickest areas where you think they might be bedding, then locate where you think they are feeding. Either hunt the places they are feeding or the travel corridors they use.

Get more cameras out there. Game cams have been absolutely invaluable to me when it comes to patterning hogs. Feeders are great but if they have plenty of other food available they may not even come to them. Or if you have alot of deer the deer will beat them to the corn, clean it up and there is no reason for them to come to the feeders. Because of that either the post hole method, hog pipes or hog barrels might be a good option to get them coming to a stand location. Add in some hog lights and hunt them at night if needed.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #41
Cuz
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
A few things to think about and they may or may not apply to your place. First, they are going to travel creeks and creekbeds. Even when dry they, and deer, will use them as a travel corridor. Not necessarily down in the bottom of the creekbed either. They will travel from cover to feed along the edges or in the brush growing along them as well as in the bottom.

Second, hogs are somewhat migratory. Sometimes they move in, root up a big area over the course of a few nights and then move on. I have hunted a number of places that could have a ton or could have none. They move thru as food sources and/or water become available or run out. The only rooting that really matters is the stuff that was just done. If it was rooted up a couple weeks ago that is old news and they may not even be anywhere around there now. It is not unusual to have hogs totally leave your property for periods of time and then when the food and/or water is right they come back in force. They are not necessarily going to always be there.

Third, they don't take much pressure to go noctournal. If there are people out there regularly and the hogs get shot at anytime they are seen it only takes shooting at them with a rifle a few times and they will go noctournal for a long time.

IMO your best bet is to identify the thickest areas where you think they might be bedding, then locate where you think they are feeding. Either hunt the places they are feeding or the travel corridors they use.

Get more cameras out there. Game cams have been absolutely invaluable to me when it comes to patterning hogs. Feeders are great but if they have plenty of other food available they may not even come to them. Or if you have alot of deer the deer will beat them to the corn, clean it up and there is no reason for them to come to the feeders. Because of that either the post hole method, hog pipes or hog barrels might be a good option to get them coming to a stand location. Add in some hog lights and hunt them at night if needed.
Smart man! Lotta good useful info here!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #42
Switchback12
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Madison Co.

Hogs haven't been coming to corn anywhere. Go to tacticalhogcontrol.com. Those guys might have the answer you're lookin for.
Switchback12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #43
BigTex
Four Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co. & McMullen Co.

Just put some salt on their tail.......... Thats how I catch'em!
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top