Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Glad it wasn't worse!!

Comment

Glad no one was hurt. I've had an arrow stray under a privacy fence before. I've learned it's just not a good idea to shoot in a neighborhood unless you back up to a pasture or a wooded area.

Comment

I've shot arrows throw my neighbors fence, shot one that smack broadside on a house, and missed a target that the arrow traveled 120 yards and hit the window chalk line of a house where a man was sitting in his lazy boy chair. He heard a thump and there was 6 inches of my arrow poking through about 8 inches from his head. Had the arrow veered off a couple of inches, I'd killed him.

Tar rant County code says you cannot discharge a bow or firearm within 600 feet of any residential dwelling. I learned my lesson. Never again.

Comment

Don't feel bad. That wouldn't crack the top 50 of stupid/dangerous/reckless stuff I've done.

Comment

I would call you insurance company and see if they will cover it. It was an accident and that's what the liability on your homeowners policy is for.

Comment

I have always been worried about slipping an arrow through the fence. I put up 2 pieces of plywood, side by side, to use as a back stop. I lose an arrow every time I hit the back stop, but I feel safe.

Comment

We've all screwed up at one point or another. I guarantee you there are many people here who know they are fortunate they haven't accidentally killed themselves or someone else. Some people are harder on themselves than others. I screwed up once on the gun range and felt like the biggest most incompetent loser on the planet after they kindly excused me for the day. Call yourself a dumbass for a week or so and then get back in the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                  Welcome to the club. Can't find my pics though.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=166042
                  YUP, thats the one I remembered!

Comment

Originally posted by arrowdynamic View Post
                    Don't feel bad. That wouldn't crack the top 50 of stupid/dangerous/reckless stuff I've done.
                    Amen...you and me BOTH!

I was cleaning my guns in the master bedroom of our house when my wife and I lived in Mesquite several years ago. Had an old .22 revolver I "KNEW WAS UNLOADED" and in a brief moment of total stupidity and lack of ANY SANITY WHATSOEVER I decide to "dry fire" it (I guess just to test the action, IDK?)

YEP, YOU GUESSED...blew a perfect 22 cal hole through and through the bedroom wall and into the kitchen pantry!!! The bullet lodged in a can of Campbell's green pea soup! Ironically I ended up going to work for Campbells several years later.

It quite possibly could have been the single worst experience in my life. I was so upset with myself as my wife and then newborn son were in the living room at the time. I remember balling like a baby (literally) as I was so distraught.

Obviously I will NEVER forget it and can't eat pea soup to this day!!

Comment

Shouldn't loose interest in bowhunting.
                      Just dont shoot in your backyard.

Comment

a few years ago when i still worked for the fire department one of my guys and i decided to take our bows to the station and practice on the back apron . so we set the target up against the side of the building wich was metal . we are both decent shots and didnt figure we had to worry too much about missing the target completely . we both shot a few times , and then its my turn again . so i draw my bow and take aim . As i am doing so a freight train was traveling on the tracks wich are about 50 ft behind us and he blows his horn for the road crossing . This was enough to startle my release . when i let the arrow go it was like slow motion i watched it as it hits the ground right infront of the target and it flew under the target and under the metal wall behind it . on the other side of this metal wall is the room where we kept a washer and dryer we used for washing our gear . we hear the arrow hit the far wall and sound as though it stopped . we breathe a sigh of relief and said ok this is not a good idea . about that time the river of water began flowing out from under the wall . just as luck would have it my arrow hit the ground and slid under the wall directly into the PVC water line that fed the washing machine . did i mention this is about about dusk on a sunday evening so you can forget any of the hardware stores in the vecinity being open . so i ran and shut the water off fortunately for me my dad works on houses for a living and happened to have the parts i need to repair the line , and he only lived 3 miles away .

Comment

I did the same thing when I was a teenager. Stupid cocky and thought I'd never miss my target and ended up missing it and having my arrow go through the fence into neighbors yard. My heart dropped and stomach turned so quick. I'll never forget that feeling and have never shot in a backyard again. I try to limit to practice shooting at ranges or where I hunt. If I can't do that, I make **** sure there's enough room beyond the target to not worry about hitting anything that may be in the arrows path.

Comment

I had a freak deal happen once. I live on a ranch and was shooting in my back yard...with a round bale as my backstop...I had shot several arrows and had to issues. I drew back, anchored, and let it fly as usual...one of the barn cats just so happen to run by the target at the exact moment my arrow hit it. Yeah that cat was pinned to the target and raising all kinds of cain....I ran up there and pulled the arrow out and the cat ran off. Not sure if that little dude survived, but I doubt it.

I felt bad for that. Since then I have my target up off the ground when shooting...most of the time anyway.

Shhhh. Don't tell my wife!!!!

Skinny

Comment

Your liability insurance on your home should cover it as mentioned. There is no deductible on liability so it won't cost u a penny.
                              Even if you have paid already just submit receipts and turn claim in and any reputable company will cut you a check

Comment

Chin up buddy. Learn from it and get back to work. Thanks for posting this, we all need a reminder to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X