Diamond C Ranch Hog Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamond C Ranch Hog Hunt

I had the opportunity to take a customer (and myself) on a hog hunt a few days ago to the Diamond C Ranch in Caddo, Texas. We arrived on Wed. evening in time to hunt and got to the stands around 8 pm. The hogs were already moving, as we saw several on our way to the stand. I got settled in and started seeing a few pigs by 8:20. The wind was at my back and I was afraid none of the pigs would make it to the feeder. A couple of sows finally came in, one of which had 5 babies that were no more than 8 inches tall. They fed for a while and were joined by 5 more, one of which made a grave mistake. The spotted pig fed for probably 5-10 minutes while I waited for a clear shot....the other pigs wouldn't get out of the way. Finally, I got a clear shot and the Hoyt V Tec dropped the hammer. The G5 Montec went in just behind the shoulder and never slowed down when it came out the opposite side. I immediately saw blood, so I stayed put for a few minutes to give her time to expire. I followed a great blood trail for 20 yards, right up to the brush line. Since it was pretty dark, I waited on the guide to show up with his dogs. Once he got there, the dog got on the trail and recovered the pig in less than 5 minutes. She ran around 80 yards and expired. This trip had started off pretty well.

The next morning was a little slow for me, however my customer missed a nice pig.....I think he got a little "pig fever". We had lunch and a nap, then decided to do a little spot and stalk. We walked back to the only pond on the property and saw a few pigs at the water's edge around 150 yards away. We put our best sneak on them...only to get busted. We walked around the tank and jumped the hogs in some brush. I didn't have a whole lot of time to react when the big red and black hog was looking eye to eye with me.....needless to say, I was a little nervous. She made a couple of steps towards me and I came to full draw. She was quartered towards me and I put the 20 yard pin behind her righ shoulder and the Hoyt went to work again. She ran maybe 60 yards and hit the deck.

My customer connected on a nice pig that night and another one the following morning. All in all it was a fantastic experience. I will post more info on the ranch in Rate the Day Lease.
    Attached Files

congrats

Comment

nice piggies

Comment

Its allways fun when your sticken the bacon

Comment

Congrat's on the pigs!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Congrats>