Cory's Youth Season Doe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cory's Youth Season Doe

After a good bow and regular season, Cory (my 13 year old son) made sure he had saved a tag for a youth season doe hunt. Cory is an accomplished bow hunter with 2 bucks (8 point and a 10 point), 3 does, 3 hogs, and a raccoon to his credit all in his first 3 years of bow hunting. As you can tell, I am very proud of him.

Armed with a christmas present video camera, Cory and I headed to the Callahan county lease on Friday. That night we made plans on where and how we were going to try to get his doe on video. The blind we decided on would be a little cramped with both of us, the camera and tripod, but we knew it would be our best spot for the morning hunt. After sneaking into the blind and getting everything situated, the wait began. We could hear deer walking all around us in the dark. Before we could see clearly, does and yearlings started coming in to the feeder. When the feeder finally went off, the does scattered of course, but quickly came back. Cory patiently waited for enough light for the camera and for a good shot. As it usually happens, when the light became bright enough, other problems started to appear. A doe would get in position, then another would move it front or behind the target. This happened several times in the next 15 minutes. Cory is starting to get nervous wondering if the shot is ever going to materialize. It wasn't long before the deer had most of the corn eaten and started to filter away. There was one doe to the left of the feeder and when the others started leaving she started in that direction as well. She headed behind the feeder which would make the shot even farther. Cory drew as she moved to the right at 26 yards. She stopped between the feeder legs for a last bite. He sighted in and hit the release. The 2 blade Rage tipped arrow zipped towards her as she reacted to the shot. She ducked to run and the arrow struck mid body as she quartered away. We were both excited. We reviewed the tape and decided to wait awhile before we started on the blood trail. The tape showed a good hit, but it looked alittle high. It also showed that I forgot to zoom in tight on the shot. Oh well, it was my first attempt at videoing. I will know better next time.

After a 30 minute wait, we exited the blind and looked for sign. The trail was easy to follow. In the first 10 yards, we found a 4 inch pice of lung material and blood sprayed on both sides of the trail. A short 60 yards later, there she was. Those Rage broadheads sure do the job.
    s Youth Season Doe 1-17-2009_0001.wmv

Congrats Cory!

Comment

Great job. A master in the making

Comment

Way to go, Cory!!!
        Lesto!!

Comment

Nice job, Cory!

Comment

Nice shooting young man! Good job dad.

Comment

Thats awesome, Congrats Cory!

Comment

Woohoo! Way to go, Cory!

Comment

Congrats Cory! You laid em down this season.

Bisch

Comment

Congrats! You sound scary in slo mo!

Comment

Working...
                    X