Neutral Density Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral Density Filter

What density filter or filters do you have and how often do you use them? Also it seems there are a lot of different ones so which one do you recommend and why? It looks like it is best and most used around flowing water. Thanks

I've never used one for water. Usually I just set the shutter speed manually to get what I want. However, I have used graduated ND filters to knock down a bright sky many times. They are very valuable for that situation. Otherwise, you're going to take 1/2 a photo and completely lose the rest.

Comment

I have a Lightcraft Fader ND filter. It is adjustable in density. Very nice. Looks like they have a newer model now, and it's cheaper than what I spent on mine.

If you want slow shutter speeds in bright light - like trying to blur moving water during daylight, a filter like this can give you up to 10 stops slower shutter speeds.

Comment

I bought the Tiffen 1, 2, 3, and 4 stop set for about $50. Used it for the first time tonight doing downtown skyline shots...shutter speed was about 1-2 seconds and I wanted car headlights to make longer streaks so put one on and it bumped it to 20-30seconds. They were pretty handy and got the look I was going for.

Comment

I have a couple. I've used them for waterfall shots and some long exposures during the day. I'm not sure which ones I have. I'll have to look and get back to you.

They're handy.

Comment

Thank you all for your input and advice. Do any of you have any pictures you could post using the filter(s)? I was look at a guys pictures at a store this weekend and he said he uses the filter all the time and he has some really great colors in his pictures including the sky. Is there that much difference between the density and the polarized filters? I will also youtube it to see what I can find as well. Thanks again for the input

Comment

I don't use ND filters much anymore unless I am trying to get a long exposure on moving water and it is a bright day. In that case it is only to cut down the overexposure blowouts. Today, if I need or want and ND effect I usually just apply it in Lightroom.

Comment

Here is one I took last night...was getting a 1.6 second exposure at f8 and the streaks from headlights were only 10-15 feet long. Used a 2 or 3 stop ND filter and got the exposure up to 20-30 seconds to make the headlights trail all the way through the photo.

Comment

Cool looking shot closetohome
                  Casey - did you get the chance to see which ones you have
                  Thanks again everybody

Comment

I used to use them to protect the lenses glass, but during the last shuttle launch, my pictures got messed up. I had an image of the rocket blasts offset from the actual image. I don't have any of those pics on this computer, but I can get some and post them if you want. I haven't used one since. The rocket blast was bright enough to reflect off the lenses glass and back onto the filter glass. Pictures of a lifetime messed up.

Comment

Wsteffen - i would like to see some pictures. I would use it more for waterfalls and such and not everyday use

Comment

I have 6 stop and 10 stop ND filters (ND64 and ND1000)

Here is one of my better shots using them. I took this in morning light and needed to knock the light down in order to blur the falls.

Close Falls by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Another

Multnomah Falls B&W by Casey Morris, on Flickr

Comment

Well, if we're going to show off our Multnomah Falls photos... (nice shot btw Casey!)

I used to own a Canon G10 which is a high-end "point and shoot" with all the controls of a professional SLR. It had a nifty built-in ND "filter" feature that I used often. It offered 3 stops of control at the push of a button. All these were taken with that camera and the ND filter in play.

Multnomah Falls, OR by johnmagera, on Flickr

Lower Latourell Falls, Oregon by johnmagera, on Flickr

Bridge below Lower Loutrelle Falls, Oregon by johnmagera, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks Casey and Limbwalker. Those are really nice pictures. Thank you both for taking the time to share

Comment

If anyone has filter questions of any type, please let me know. I work for Tiffen and shot professionally for many years prior. Neutral Density (ND) filters allow you to control how much light reaches your sensor and give you greater control over two things..... shutter speed for long exposures during daylight and aperture to control your depth of field. You can use a 10 stop ND during bright sun with a tripod to do a 30 second exposure. Anything moving in the frame will blur (water, clouds, etc) for a cool effect. Otherwise, if you want to shoot a shallow depth of field like f/2.8 in bright sun you will overexpose without a filter. The filter limits the amount of light entering the lens and allows you to shoot a shallow depth of field at f/2.8 (or similar) while still getting a proper exposure.

Comment

Working...
                              X