Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Blind: Leave it up or take it down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Blind: Leave it up or take it down?

This is my first year using a ground blind, so I'm not familiar with its durability. I have an Ameristep, and I'm hunting in the piney woods in Polk County. I set it up last weekend and left it just to let the deer get used to it, but I'm not sure how long I want to leave it. I'll be back to hunt again next weekend, but hadn't decided if I want to take it down, and set it back up on Friday.

What do y'all do with your pop-up blinds?

Leave it unless you have neighbors that might take it.

Comment

I leave mine. I have 2 that I've left for about 4 years. They are no longer useable this year. I'll pick mine up at the end of season then put them back out at the beginning of September next year.

Comment

Leave it.

Comment

I set one up two days before opening day a couple of years ago. We had some wind on Friday. Saturday morning thirty minutes before sunrise I go to get in my pop up and it is not there. The stakes were in the ground but the blind was gone. I still haven't found it.
          No tracks so it wasn't stolen. Just something to consider...

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
            I leave mine. I have 2 that I've left for about 4 years. They are no longer useable this year. I'll pick mine up at the end of season then put them back out at the beginning of September next year.
            This is what I do. The way I see it is the deer notice changes in their surroundings. Constantly adding and taking away a big "bush" will make them uneasy. I even leave the shooting window on my doublebull open all season long so they get used to that as well.

Comment

Well that solves that. Thanks.

I'm not too worried about it blowing away. I'm in the woods and have each side tied to an adjacent tree. Plus, this one has a floor in it, so I won't have to worry as much about critters. A friend of mine found newborn squirrels in his. Good idea about the shooting window.

Comment

Originally posted by cwd500 View Post
                X2

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
                  This is what I do. The way I see it is the deer notice changes in their surroundings. Constantly adding and taking away a big "bush" will make them uneasy. I even leave the shooting window on my doublebull open all season long so they get used to that as well.
                  Same thing I do.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
                    Just paint the outside of the windows black. Then you can accomplish that while not inviting quite as many wasps.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                      Leave it.
                      This.

Comment

Originally posted by 686PPP View Post
                        Leave it unless you have neighbors that might take it.
                        This, and I will add, check it for snakes before getting in it after leaving it out.

Comment

wind and cows will wreak havoc on ground blinds, as will the sun long term.

Comment

Leave. Set it up properly, use marine string to stakes, I also have some that have set out 4 years, shade helps with durability.

Comment

Leave it in the woods pull it if it's out in the open. I left one at the ranch in South Texas and every time we got a good wind the thing would take off like a kite. It ripped the loops in the bottom where the stakes go through and got blown into a fence. Happened every time I left it out for more than a few days.

Comment

Working...
                              X