Favorite fall plot mixes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite fall plot mixes?

What's everyone's favorite seed mix for fall kill plots? Also, what seeding rate do y'all use? Is overgrazing much of an issue for fall plots like summer plots?

Wheat and dankin radishes, I put it down heavy, 100 pounds of wheat and 5 pounds radish seed.

Comment

100 lbs of oats and 50 lbs of Iron & Clay Cowpeas per acre. The peas draw them in very well but if they make it to the first freeze they are gone. They usually don't make it. I plant a week or two earlier if I can get the oats so the peas get as much growing time. Last year I topped over the oats with Daikon Radishes in November.
      Last edited by texashunter56; 08-11-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I get the fall mix from Turner Seed or Justin Seed here in North Texas. They're basically the same and have winter wheat, oats, cereal rye, turnips, clover, etc. I typically put 125# per acre, which is 25% more than recommended (I think).

As far as overgrazing goes, it all depends on your deer density. I plant 8 acres in Erath and even though we don't have a high deer density, it looks like someone went over the plot with a push mower. It's short. I think the deer hit the plot hard at night.

Comment

I've been doing a mix of wheat, clover, and turnips. 12 acres at the house and will probably do 20 or so at deer camp.

Our fields have quite a bit of clover in them, so they're good pretty much year round, but I feel like the extra green of the wheat and turnips really draw them in. Our plots get their heaviest use from December-February when the acorns are gone.
          Attached Files

Comment

I like the BWI Fall a Wildlife Mix. Seems to be the deer's favorite too. Tried wheat, rye by themselves and got little action. Planted turnips one year and ended up with turnips the size of your head with greens knee high, and the deer wouldn't touch them. Gonna try adding some peas to my mix this year.

Comment

Justin seed fall deer mix is dang good. we plant it in Grayson county. deer density is not too high so no issues with over grazing . about 100 lb an acre.

Comment

In TX Panhandle, just wheat. Cheap and reliable with abundant deer use.

50-60 lb/ac with seed drill, X2 if broadcast.

Not overgrazed if plot size is appropriate relative to deer numbers. Wheat, a grass, has growth point that originates from base of plant which makes them more tolerant to grazing . Stuff like peas and vetch have growth points at the end of the shoots which makes them less tolerant to grazing, but shouldn't be an issue if plot size is appropriate and it rains.

Comment

We used to plant winter wheat, oats and peas but it's pointless anymore. The hogs will destroy all of our work in a night and leave nothing for the deer. I gave up on food plots about 4 years ago.

Comment

We plant oats and Turnips. 100lbs per acre and 200lbs of 30-10-10 fertilizer per acre.

Comment

Working...
                    X