No announcement yet.

School Me On MuzzleLoaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a TC which is really my favorite gun to shoot.
    Except for the cleaning, loading, etc. As far as shooting though it is a dream. Took a bit of experimentation to dial in a propellant / load / bullet combo that it likes. I tried pellets, ended up with blackhorn 209 and "fine tuning" the charge. Also ran a couple different bullets weights and ended up with a heavier one which grouped best from my gun. So, give yourself plenty of time and range trips to get that figured out before you plan to hunt. If I could shoot it out my back door I probably would every day, but city life precludes that.

Comment

I have a .50 cal CVA Wolf and have hunted with it for the past 3 seasons. I’ve actually taken more deer with it than my rifle.

I started off using Powerbelt 295 grain copper hollow point bullets and White Hot pellets. The PowerBelts were very accurate but I was NOT impressed with their terminal performance…they don’t expand…they break apart. It never caused me to lose a deer but I had some run a lot farther than they should have and they left a very small blood trail bc no pass through. I still use white hot pellets.

I switched to a 297grain Thor hollow point and there is a huge difference. I got a pass through each time, huge blood trail and deer didn’t run more than 10-20yds. https://thorbullets.com

I’m not saying Powerbelts are bad…just saying there are better options for deer hunting that are just as accurate. Get on a muzzleloader forum and learn from the experienced hunters there. That helped me a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        How far are you confident to take a deer with it?
        Based on my zero and ability to practice, I would go to 150 yds. I think the rifle is capable of more (200 yds), just haven't had the chance to practice at that distance

Comment

I got a CVA Wolf years ago. Base I was stationed on didn’t allow rifle hunting, but I could use a muzzleloader in the shotgun only areas. Picked it up for $169 delivered to my door from Bass Pro I think. Threw a cheap $50 scope on it, later upgraded cause it had bad low light performance.

Anyway, I played around with powder/bullet combos. Ended up using the 777 pellets and primers that KyleSeipp linked above. But I found mine really liked the 240gr Hornady XTP sabots. As you can see by the link below… the price on them is GREAT. Mine would clover leaf 3 at 100yds. Furthest shot I ever took was right at 175yds. Knew the drop at 150, guessed a little and aimed a little higher. Dropped right into the vitals of a doe and she ran 20yds.

As others mentioned, cleaning is paramount. Black powder is corrosive. So of course, after shooting make sure you clean it REALLY REALLY well. Then coat the barrel with bore butter. Before hunting/shooting the next time, run a couple clean patches through to remove the bore butter.

Something I always did, I cleaned the barrel after EVERY SHOT at the range. Mine didn’t shoot the same with a clean barrel VS a dirty barrel. But that first shot at a deer will be with a squeaky clean barrel. So, might I suggest going to the range with a well stocked cleaning bag, and plenty of time to get it done right. Foaming bore cleaner and pre soaked patches were great. I bought the presoaked patches I will link below, and once I ran out just topped it off with normal patches and poured hoppes #9 on them. I also found a drill bit that perfectly fit my breech plug so I could twist it down in there by hand and remove carbon. Also a pick of sorts to clean out the flash hole. Keep a little grease on the breech plug threads.

I had a little canvas bag I carried. All cleaning supplies, jags, can of carburetor cleaner, powder, pellets, primers…. All in the bag ready to go.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1240562400?pid=562400 -the little tube is nice to get past the breech plug area and into the barrel.
          Last edited by Chase4556; 01-31-2023, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I clean my inlines with window cleaner then rinse with HOT water. People will tell you not to do this because of the ammonia, but it's not a problem if you rinse good and swab the bore dry then an oil patch. My traditional clean the old fashioned way with patches, bore cleaned and elbow grease. I lube my breechplugs with choke tube lube.

Comment

Here's something I learned the other day

Muzzleloader powder is measured in grains by volume NOT weight. I was going to get a scale and pre-load some tubes. Glad I didn't

Comment

Do most of you guys prefer the .50 cal?

Comment

Mine was also a 50 cal cva wolf 50 cal is most popular so easy to find components

Comment

I would be most have a .50 cal but shoot 44-45 cal sabots.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a big fan of the old style Hawkin type rifles and real black powder.
                      That said I have several TC encore rifles and decided to order a 45 cal barrel from MGM. I ordered some oversized bullets from Arroehead and a sizing tool to match them to the barrel.
                      With 80 grains by weight of 209 powder, it shoots as good as any rifle I own.

October country .54
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	128339153_5444212358952843_3086943310327159836_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	24705380

Comment

TC Hawken 50 cal shooting 44 cal sabots, good to 100 yards at least. Accurate and fun to shoot but the inlines have better range and are easier to clean.

Comment

50 cal is probably the most popular caliber comparable to 270 or 308 with center fire rifles. Some guys go with 45 cal and other up to 54 cal…all preference just like any other weapon

Most newer MZ models with easily shoot 150-200 yards…I have a scoped TC Omega that reaches out to 250 yards

I love shooting my TC Hawken and it’s very accurate to 125 yards with a zero power red dot scope on it

Get into it and enjoy shooting them

Comment

I have a CVA Accura with a Bergara barrel. Topped with a Leupy Ultimate Slam muzzy scope.

I shoot 100gr IMR white hot with PowerBelts and 209 primer. It will shoot close to 1” or better groupings at 100. I have only shot a couple deer with it, but all were neck shots ~60 - 110 yards.

I would be comfortable out to 150 easily. Never tried beyond that.

I bought it for limited entry draws, which are basically non existent now in Texas
                            Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-01-2023, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              I have a CVA Accura with a Bergara barrel. Topped with a Leupy Ultimate Slam muzzy scope.

I shoot 100gr IMR white hot with PowerBelts and 209 primer. It will shoot close to 1” or better groupings at 100. I have only shot a couple deer with it, but all were neck shots ~60 - 110 yards.

I would be comfortable out to 150 easily. Never tried beyond that.

I bought it for limited entry draws, which are basically non existent now.
                              I also have the CVA accura. I shoot 90 grains of Blackhorn 209 with 250 hornady sst sabots. I am comfortable out to 150 yards and have killed a hog drt at that range. I also killed a coyote at 209 yards with it. I highly recommend BH powder as it is very consistent, every grain is the same size as well as it is not corrosive. I shoot cci 209 shotgun primers. Need regular shotgun primers vs muzzle loader 209 primers as BH needs the extra umph to set it off

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a CVA Wolf, one of if not the cheapest option out there but shoots good and is easy to clean(its also one of the shortest and lightest options out if your looking to lug it around the mountains). If you think you'll ever hunt out west get a 50 cal w iron sights. As others have mentioned cleaning is a must, I run some hot soapy water down the barrel and scrub it out with a cleaning rod. Then I dry the barrel with some patches and large Q-tips (got a set at Northern Tool for $7 with different sizes) and oil it down.

I'm running Cheddite primers (also very cheap but never had a problem with them) and Pyrodex Select under 240xtp Sabots or Powerbelts.

Primers
                                Order 1 case (5,000) by dropping B off of the item number. To improve ballistic performances with most available powders, Cheddite has developed its dependable and powerful Clerinox primer (US type).  The regularity of Cheddite primers provide a reliable powder ignition at optimum sensitivity will allow your cartridges to perform to your expectations.  This regularity is obtained thanks to a strict quality control of all components : anvil, chamber, cap, mixture and to a continuous performance checking of the primer itself as well as when combined with a specific reference cartridge loading.The non-corrosive explosive mixture does not contain mercuric compounds.  The word, "Clerinox" is a trademark coming from the contraction of the words Clerieux (place in France where the primer paint originates) and "inox" which comes from the meaning, inoxadable=waterproof/stainless (and by extension, non-corroding).

Powder Measure

The CVAs have the quick release breech plug system (make sure you have the correct breech plug in) which makes things very easy.

QRBP

I have a Williams pic rail/ peep sight so if I want to add a scope for load development or hunting in Texas its very easy.

For years I held off on buying a muzzleloader because I didn't know much about them but they are super fun and really quite simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X