What say you, .280 or .284

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been wanting to do a Mauser based build for a while. Going into it I was sure I wanted to build a 280 rem to go with an a-bolt in 280 I have. It has been a proven meat machine for many years. But, now that I've been reading about the 284 Winchester it sure is growing on me. I am down to one of these being the build, what say y'all. Pros and cons

Don't have a .284 but I can vouch for the .280.

Comment

.284 Win is short action and much like the 7mm-08. .280 Rem is long action and just a little bit better IMO, especially if you hand load. But in the end, it's up to you, as I doubt the targets will know the difference.

Comment

Which one is ammo more readily available for?

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
          I have been wanting to do a Mauser based build for a while. Going into it I was sure I wanted to build a 280 rem to go with an a-bolt in 280 I have. It has been a proven meat machine for many years. But, now that I've been reading about the 284 Winchester it sure is growing on me. I am down to one of these being the build, what say y'all. Pros and cons

I'm gonna say .280 AI.

Comment

280 is a bad mother! But I've never shot the 284

Comment

Never had a 284. I like my 280 though.

Comment

280 rem is readily available but .284 is seasonal mostly at around $55 a box. But both will b reloaded

Comment

6.5x284 long action

Comment

If you reload, 280 AI. You wont regret it !!

Comment

280 AI. 7 mag performance with less powder and recoil.

Paging Cajun Blake!!!!

Comment

You would be hard pressed to put any bullet on the 284 bigger than a 130 in a short action magazine. The 284 has lots of potential and is much more efficient than the 280 being a smaller cartridge with less powder and equal performance

Comment

.280 is sweet but I wouldn't want to build a second one unless you went the AI route. A .280 AI would tickle my fancy over a .284 if you have a long action. If you like what you read on a .284, you might look at a 6.5-284 or a .25-.284. I built a .25-.284 on a 98 mauser action and its bad to the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            280 AI. 7 mag performance with less powder and recoil.

Paging Cajun Blake!!!!
                            What he said

If I didn't have a 7 mag and a 6.5x284 that I like, I'd be all over building one

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              .284 Win is short action and much like the 7mm-08. .280 Rem is long action and just a little bit better IMO, especially if you hand load. But in the end, it's up to you, as I doubt the targets will know the difference.
                              I've got a 284 built on a Rem long action to seat berger 168's out and love it. IMO, building on a short action sure limits your bullet/seating depths with magazine constraints.

Comment

Working...
                              X