Did I miss the rut??? (Travis County)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I miss the rut??? (Travis County)

So I have been watching the deer and the projections. The projections said peak rut would be around the 12th of this month. It has been business as usual with the local deer in the area with one or two new bucks every now and again.

Here is what I have seen in person and cameras the past 2 days.

Bucks - still grouped up, new bucks I've never seen before moving into area, lots of nocturnal bucks hanging around the feeder even though the corn had been cleaned up by the afternoon crowd.

Doe - no signs of mounting, still coming to feeders like normal, still in same doe/fawn groups,

Local Groups - the same doe/fawn groups with a single buck come to each side of the property. They are our locals that are always here and seem to stay on their own side of the property and keep the same group.

Did I miss the rut and just didn't notice it??? Or is it just heating up??? I'm super confused.

up here in NW Travis county it is over.

Comment

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
      So I have been watching the deer and the projections. The projections said peak rut would be around the 12th of this month. It has been business as usual with the local deer in the area with one or two new bucks every now and again.

Here is what I have seen in person and cameras the past 2 days.

Bucks - still grouped up, new bucks I've never seen before moving into area, lots of nocturnal bucks hanging around the feeder even though the corn had been cleaned up by the afternoon crowd.

Doe - no signs of mounting, still coming to feeders like normal, still in same doe/fawn groups,

Local Groups - the same doe/fawn groups with a single buck come to each side of the property. They are our locals that are always here and seem to stay on their own side of the property and keep the same group.

Did I miss the rut and just didn't notice it??? Or is it just heating up??? I'm super confused.

It may be happening later than normal. I had peak rut predictions for Leon County off by about a week or two. Also with weird weather we're having who knows what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        up here in NW Travis county it is over.
        I'm SE Travis.

Maybe I just never noticed it. This is my first year hunting here but the deer are acting nothing like they used to when I hunted in Henderson county.

Comment

2nd rut will be 28 days after the first, probably between Christmas & New Year.

Comment

11/11 here was what I would say peak was. By 15th almost non existent

Comment

November 4th peak for our place

Comment

Odd.

In Wimberley it seemed early. They were running hard in late October.

At my lease in San Saba it is as if it hasn't happened yet. no action at all.

Comment

Cool front next week should get them going again during day light hours. Not as heavy but time for the big boys. Mills county here.

Comment

In Junction I think peak was the 11-13 of November. Saw more mature bucks out running all hours of the day than I saw does.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      Odd.

In Wimberley it seemed early. They were running hard in late October.

At my lease in San Saba it is as if it hasn't happened yet. no action at all.

Our bucks south of Dripping rutted hard in late October. But guys just a few miles away weren’t seeing any activity during that time.

Comment

They have already hit their peak rut. Your problem may be that you have too many doe. They don’t have to run as hard if there are ample opportunities to breed

Comment

I grunted an 8 point from 800 yards out this morning in wilbarger county. He was looking for a fight

Comment

Gotta love the Midwest. From about October 25th until the end of November there is no questioning whether the bucks are rutting. It is on !!

I had a friend that killed a post rut/late rutting buck in southeast Iowa yesterday that had five other bucks chasing the same doe.

Comment

Just because you don't see it when you are in your stand on the weekend, doesn't mean it didn't or isn't happening

Comment

Working...
                              X