Turkey Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedBarn View Post
    Who's getting ready for turkey season? I've hunted with shotgun last three seasons, and decided to go bow only this season. Just thinking about it gets me excited.

Share your tips on shot placement, broad heads, calling, etc.
    I usually start getting ready the day after season ends....

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
      I usually start getting ready the day after season ends....
      Same here. I love to deer hunt, but I really love turkey hunting. It's a rush seeing a group of toms dance in front of you 10 yards away.

Comment

Same here. I love to deer hunt, but I really love turkey hunting. It's a rush seeing a group of toms dance in front of you 10 yards away.
        Yes it is!

Comment

Don't have a place to turkey hunt now, but when we had our place out west, I got 40 turkeys with my bow over the years... The last 15 or so were with the Turkey Guillotine. Makes for some great video... best ever hunt was a 3 for 3 morning in the spring... When you shoot a turkey with that Guillotine, a lot of times the turkey will just drop in his tracks for about 30 seconds or so, then they commence to flopping and doing flips in the air and making a ton of racket. If there are other gobblers there, often they will jump on the one that is shot to enforce their dominance over the dead bird... That's what happened one morning... I shot one. He started the flopping dance and a big ol double beard bird came rushing in an tried to fight with his now headless buddy... I whistled at him. He stopped and put his head up high searching for the source of the sudden sound... His head went flying off too just like his now lifeless buddy... When he started his flopping, a third one came in to join in the fight. I only had 2 guillotines so he got a snuffer to the heart/lung area... To this day, one of my all time favorite hunts... shots were made from a double bull blind...

Comment

I am actually looking forward to spring season again. Been a few years since i have put much effort into hunting turkeys. Going to try and get a mature gobbler with my bow. Been about 10-12 years since i have shot one with my bow. It is a challenge!!

Comment

This will be my first year turkey hunting. I will be in the backyard trying to call them in from wherever the heck I hear them at. Hope it works!

Comment

My favorite hunt.

Comment

Are you bow hunters hunting out of a popup or brush blind? I've always hunted behind brush with a shotgun. I have noticed that once they're locked on the decoys, there is a window of opportunity to move around unnoticed.

Comment

Are you bow hunters hunting out of a popup or brush blind? I've always hunted behind brush with a shotgun. I have noticed that once they're locked on the decoys, there is a window of opportunity to move around unnoticed.
                    Some do it successfully, but I have never had any luck bow hunting turkeys without being in a pop-up. At those close ranges I would always get busted on the draw. In my experience turkeys pay no attention to a blind.

Comment

I've bow killed several in the fall from a tree stand at a feeder, but have only had bow-success in the spring by using a pop up. Perhaps this year will change I'm excited to whack some spring gobblers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Patton; 01-09-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Spring turkey, with your bow, on the ground using native cover is only way to do it! It's tough and challenging, but absolutely worth it. Set your decoys close (10-12 yrds), be patient and let the birds commit before trying to draw. Learn where the vitals are in the various body positions and do not simply shoot for center mass. Challenge yourself and let it be about the hunt, and not the take. Once you're successful doing this way you may never go back to a blind/popup again. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Duke1227 View Post
                          Crappie next, then turkey.
                          Yessir! Come pick me up ill be ready whenever

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                            I'm hoping to get after them on public land!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
                            I haven't seen any public land that offers spring turkey other than in san angelo

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                              I haven't seen any public land that offers spring turkey other than in san angelo
                              I'm in North Tx and I'm planning on going to LBJ grasslands which is 30 minutes from my house. But also put in for a few draws that I'm hoping for!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm ready! Bow only again this year and will be shooting my usual Ramcats.

Comment

Working...
                                X