No announcement yet.

Revolver for wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

44 mag. LOL I prefer a revolver over auto. Most ladies cannot handle the slide back. But the best info here is to let her shoot each and then decide.

Comment

My wife has a stainless steel ported 357 magnum. It is loaded with 38s. The extra weight makes the recoil easy.

Look for one that is a 7 round cylinder.

Comment

Whatever gun feels good in HER hand. Went through same thing with my wife. She liked my glock 19 gen 4 cause it was comfortable in her hand and slide easy to pull. Cou get her a glock 43 in .380. Smaller but very comfortable, easy to slide and hardly any recoil

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          My wife has a stainless steel ported 357 magnum. It is loaded with 38s. The extra weight makes the recoil easy.

Look for one that is a 7 round cylinder.
          This was going to be my suggestion. Find a revolver with a 2-4" barrel that is ported. It'll be louder, but recoil is greatly reduced, so that she can shoot 357 when needed, or even 38+P with ease, maybe even one-handed. I'd go 4" barrel since you're talking about home/vehicle gun, and not concealed.

Comment

Keep the info coming. Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife's experience shooting revolvers:

*Doesn't like/won't shoot lightweight 38 revolvers (s&w 642/Taurus)
              *Really likes Ruger LCR in 22 Mag
              *Likes Ruger sp101 with standard pressure 38 loads
              *Likes steel frame, 3" S&W J frame in 32 S&W long (Buff Bore makes some good ammo for this cartridge)

In a semi-auto she is okay shooting 9mm in Glock 19 and Ruger SR9 but the recoil in a Glock 43 is too much. She can't work the slide, without a lot of effort, on any of the above SA pistols.

For a house/car gun the ruger SP series would be a good choice.
              Last edited by mikebyrge; 11-28-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

My wife likes revolvers also. She shoots light weight small revolvers well but enjoys shooting larger heavier guns, revolvers and autos.

I believe she started out thinking the smaller guns were safer or less scary.
                She had to find out for herself and I tried not to steer her in any direction but instead went along with whatever she wanted. I did encourage her to try other handguns. I also didn't allow her to shoot anything hot until she was comfortable shooting.

Her favorite handgun is a S&W model 64, 38 special. It's a medium frame stainless 6 shot revolver with 4" barrel. Very comfortable and soft shooting. She even picked out some pretty wood grips from eBay.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Comment

J frame in 357 mag loaded with 38 +p ammo. Love mine and it fits my hand and shoots where I look not just aim. Hammerless is the way to go for concealed.
                  Revolvers make sense so she doesn't have to lock and load it to shoot, carry it on an empty cylinder and just pull the trigger when needed.
                  Maybe a crimson trace for help aiming .

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    J frame in 357 mag loaded with 38 +p ammo. Love mine and it fits my hand and shoots where I look not just aim. Hammerless is the way to go for concealed.
                    Revolvers make sense so she doesn't have to lock and load it to shoot, carry it on an empty cylinder and just pull the trigger when needed.
                    Maybe a crimson trace for help aiming .
                    It's not necessary to have an empty cylinder under the hammer on modern double action revolvers. They are safer than a Glock.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife and daughter both have S&W 642's. My wife calls hers "thumper". Shoots +P ammo and loves it.

Comment

Neither my wife nor my young daughter care for firearms. That being said, they both like the S&W Model 642 (stainless steel cylinder & barrel, alloy frame) for its simplicity and easier trigger pull. The Model 642, and it's blued steel version - the Model 442, have been bestsellers for S&W for many years. They're lightweight, easy to operate, and the trigger pull, though double-action-only (DAO), is generally smoother and lighter than a similar model with the exposed hammer. If they want more weight, the comparable model in all stainless steel is the Model 640. I'd stick with chambering in .38 Special, and load with standard velocity ammo. Also, Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grips are an excellent addition - not just because of the laser, but the grips have an air chamber along the backstop that helps to soak up recoil. The model 642/442 and 640 are all small framed revolvers - what S&W refer to as J-frames. The 642 and 442 are known as "Airweights" due to their alloy frames. Collectively, the revolvers with the concealed hammer, like the 642/442 and 640 are known as the Centennial models. Here's a link for more information and photos:

If your wife isn't planning on carrying the piece, then as someone mentioned earlier, she could go up to a larger framed revolver like a Model 10 or 64 (blued steel and stainless steel, respectively). These are in S&W's K-frame family and can be found in barrel lengths of 3.0 inch (rare and hard to find) and 4.0 inches. But these are going to be carried in the car/truck, unless your wife is really into firearms and willing to dress around the larger revolvers.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

You said "carry at home and in car" I take that to mean that she is not going to carry on her person. If that is the case, get her a 4 inch 357. Ruger or Smith, 6, 7, or 8 shot. Practice with 38s and carry with 357s. If she is going to carry it, then a J frame is hard to beat

Comment

My wife and daughter both have a Taurus 85,SS, bobbed hammer a nd trigger job. They practice with 38 spcl and carry + P .

Comment

I have decide to get a Ruger LCR 22 magnum for my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                                Ruger SP101 is hard to beat the extra weight helps with recoil if she wanted to shoot 357's in it
                                There you go. Loaded with 38 +P

Comment

Working...
                                X