Tripod set ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod set ups

Just got a 12’ tripod, I’ve never hunted out of one usually I hunt in a tree stand or a pop up. My place is covered in mesquite about 12’-14’ tall. Question for you guys is do y’all brush in your tripods or just tuck them tight against a tree? I’ve been hunting out of it for 2 weeks and haven’t been busted but I feel that I’m not in enough coverage to make a shot. Any ideas or suggestions? Feel free to post pics of your setups.
    Attached Files

Sorry the pic is sideways, not sure how to fix it.

Comment

I usually put some military style camo netting behind mine and part way to the sides. Don't have a handy pic, but it isn't hard to do if you have something to tie it to. In windy country, tie it well, or it won't last.
      Attached Files

Comment

It really depends on your deer, some places they almost never look up and others they almost always look up in tree's for danger. When I'm hunting places that I'm not sure or know the deer look up, I tuck them in the thickest cover I can find and I usually have to take off the braces to the legs or even the leg itself so I can get it in the cover good and then put them back on. I always try to find a spot that has really good cover behind me because if I put it in a spot like yours is in, I would get busted all the time. The more cover you have right behind you, the harder it is for the deer to pick you off. Also having big branches next to you also helps brake up your outline.
        Last edited by gonehuntin68; 11-26-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

We usually place ours directly in front of a large tree to break up your outline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a “deer’s eye view” of a 12’ tripod I recently set up. I took the picture while standing in the spot I plan to toss hand corn - 15 yards away. After looking at this pic I went back and added netting behind it to reduce my silhouette. Those are all live oaks which makes a big difference this time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by jerp; 11-26-2017, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Tree as back drop.

Comment

I know it's basically impossible to see my tripod in this pic but red X marks the hole I shoot through from the tripod. To set up this tripod, I had to take the legs off first and put the seat portion up in first, then I fed the legs through the branches to the seat and then put the braces back on the legs. The deer never even look my way at this spot. The water you see is not normally there but the picture was taken as the river was starting to flood.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting OP! I just bought this one from Academy ($89). There are a couple of oak canopy's I can tuck this under. Deer are pegging me in the blind to quick.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys! Definitely need to step my game up lol. NP .270 that the same one I have. I do have some more of the camo netting. I’ll try to get out there this week and put some up in the surrounding trees. I really wish I had some oaks to hang a lock on in.

Comment

Originally posted by PROUDTEXAN View Post
                      Awesome thanks guys! Definitely need to step my game up lol. NP .270 that the same one I have. I do have some more of the camo netting. I’ll try to get out there this week and put some up in the surrounding trees. I really wish I had some oaks to hang a lock on in.
                      How safe is the seating platform to move in and out of?

Comment

One of mine.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                          How safe is the seating platform to move in and out of?
                          I feel like it’s safe, I’ve hunted out of tree stands that made me feel a lot more uncomfortable. The seat itself is surprisingly comfortable to.

Comment

I have the same tripod too, but the seat and backrest material rotted away after the first year. I replaced them with plywood and use a 1" foam cushion and it works great. I also cut off the rifle ledge in front of the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                              I know it's basically impossible to see my tripod in this pic but red X marks the hole I shoot through from the tripod. To set up this tripod, I had to take the legs off first and put the seat portion up in first, then I fed the legs through the branches to the seat and then put the braces back on the legs. The deer never even look my way at this spot. The water you see is not normally there but the picture was taken as the river was starting to flood.
                              Children, observe a correct tri-pod setup...just sayin

Comment

Working...
                              X