Trailer Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Upgrades

Did some trailer upgrades over the Christmas Break.

I added some expanded metal to the the trailer. I welded each section to the outside of the trailer. Most trailers I've seen have it welded on the inside which then stresses the welds and they eventually break. I also also boxed in the strap holes so that the straps don't get cut from the expanded.

Lastly I made a load bar to help keep my gas cans in check.
    Attached Files

That’s awesome!!! Great job.

Comment

Cool idea! Explain again why it’s better for the expanded metal to be on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

very nice now time to start on mine

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
          Cool idea! Explain again why it’s better for the expanded metal to be on the outside.

X2 Seems like if the expanded metal is welded to the outside carg inside the trailer would push against it and possible popping it loose..

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
            X2 Seems like if the expanded metal is welded to the outside carg inside the trailer would push against it and possible popping it loose..
            So on another trailer we have and most that I have seen, the builders are a little lazy. They weld the expanded metal to the inside of the trailers rails. It's easier to do this because they can tack weld 8 foot long pieces of expanded to the sides of the trailer. (I cut individual sections of expanded to size for each opening.)

The problem with this is, when you attach straps to the expanded it stress out the tack welds and they eventually break. All of the stress from the straps is applied to the tack welds.

Since I put the expanded on the outside, the stress from the straps is spread out over the whole piece of expanded and no significant stress is put on the welds because the bars of the trailer are there for support.

I hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              So on another trailer we have and most that I have seen, the builders are a little lazy. They weld the expanded metal to the inside of the trailers rails. It's easier to do this because they can tack weld 8 foot long pieces of expanded to the sides of the trailer. (I cut individual sections of expanded to size for each opening.)

The problem with this is, when you attach straps to the expanded it stress out the tack welds and they eventually break. All of the stress from the straps is applied to the tack welds.

Since I put the expanded on the outside, the stress from the straps is spread out over the whole piece of expanded and no significant stress is put on the welds because the bars of the trailer are there for support.

I hope this makes sense.
              I see you are using the expanded metal to attach straps to. That would make sense.

Comment

Nice, I've been meaning to do that to mine for the longest time.

Comment

That load bar is pretty slick!

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                    I see you are using the expanded metal to attach straps to. That would make sense.

Yea, I see now. Surely you’re not talking about ratchet straps, more like bungee cords?

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                      Yea, I see now. Surely you’re not talking about ratchet straps, more like bungee cords?

primarily bungee cords but have used ratchet straps before just to secure a load but not hold anything big like a ranger or atv.

Just the torque from holding something in place can pop the welds over time when the expanded is welded to the inside of the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        primarily bungee cords but have used ratchet straps before just to secure a load but not hold anything big like a ranger or atv.

Just the torque from holding something in place can pop the welds over time when the expanded is welded to the inside of the frame.

Makes sense! You’ve inspired me to upgrade my trailer. I picked up a stick of C channel last night for stake pockets.

Comment

Put a D-ring every 24" on it before you paint it.

Comment

Comment

you even tacked every point on the expanded metal. That's tedious work!

Comment

Working...
                              X