Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 07-17-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
rockspringshunt
Spike

Default DIY timed protein feeder

Anyone have good ideas for a diy timed protein feeder. Have a normal gravity tube feeder but canít keep up with the $$ of the feed.
rockspringshunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Screw a 5 gallon bucket to the bottom of your feeder - timer cut out slots so your deer can reach in there and get the protein. Either that are cut out the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket and put a trough under the feeder and let the protein drop down in it when your timer spins it out .
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
timoub007
Eight Point

I have an idea on how you can convert certain gravity tube fed protein feeders to timed using Mike's Hammer unit without welding. I just converted one of mine, an ASF 2k Evo of, this past weekend. I'm pleased with how it turned out but will not have a final verdict on how much it regulated the feed consumption for a while.

Post up what kind of feeder you have, and pics if possible. I will work on uploading some pics of what modifications I made.

Tim
timoub007 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

Krivomanoutdoors.com
Attached Images

low_tec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Yes I know how to do it, but am struggling with how to package it for sale.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
sweetinlow660
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County SE Oklahoma

buy a corn bank timer unit install in your current gravity feeder. problem solved
sweetinlow660 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

I have converted my free choice feeders to the hammer. They are awesome units
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
skipetex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
buy a corn bank timer unit install in your current gravity feeder. problem solved
Corn yes, pellet protien I had trouble with last year. But I found the protien shaped like small dog food and it fed decent.
Love my corn bank by itself as a silent corn feeder tho.
skipetex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
rockspringshunt
Spike

I don’t have any pictures of the gravity tube it’s just one that you buy and bolt onto bottom of barrel. My deer don’t seem to like the protein on the ground there’s always some of it after they’ve been there for a feed. May just because they like it in the tube and if I switch to feeding protein like corn they’ll get used to it. I was thinking for along the lines of using some redneck enginuity and fixing a bucket around spin feeder and letting it drop into a tube/trough. I have bad coons so was trying to stay away from troughs. Has anyone tried this? Share any tips? If I have to weld it will be my first time welding but u gotta start somewhere.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

This is what a friend of mine did and he swears by it.

He has been running different variations of this for 10+ years and never had a clog.

The keys to making it work:
1) 4" hole
2) use a flat disc spinner plate, the larger the better.

I'll try and see if I can find pictures of the inside of his contraption.

If I were you I would just by a hammer unit. Just my opinion.
Attached Images

ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
timoub007
Eight Point

Here are some pictures of how you can attach a Hammer feeding system to an All Seasons 2k Evolution protein feeder.
The silver parts are called unistrut, and besides metal shops you can find it at Home Depot. There are captive nuts designed for the slotted rails or you could probably get by with common nuts and bolts if you wanted to spend more time fiddling with the connections. There are 90 degree angle brackets holding the pieces of unistrut together. I drilled two holes in the top of the mechanism box and ran bolts up into the captive nuts in the piece of unistrut on top of the box.

ASF Evolution 2k pf Hammer conversion https://imgur.com/a/BXvAKVM

Thank you Mike for shipping me just the mechanism, box and timer and for answering my questions to get this done. I just installed it last weekend and will report back about it after some time has gone by. I have little doubt that it will work as expected.

Tim
Old 07-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
Charlie
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I converted my free-choice protein feeder to a timed feeder and should have done this sooner. The Axis deer would eat 800 pounds in 7 days.
Attached Images

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
Charlie
Six Point

I used the Hammer unit and it was easy to install.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
Charlie
Six Point

The feeder feeds about 6 pounds at a time.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #15
Big_gun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Open for Suggestions

Get in touch with Mike with the hammer system and he has several adaptors for his unit to mount to feeders... worst case if you can weld a flat plat with 4 mounting holes you can probably get it adapted. He is more then willing to help ya.
Big_gun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #16
rockspringshunt
Spike

decided to upgrade the protein feeder. Only have a 300 lb now so going to upgrade to 500-750 timed protein feeder. Suggestions on to buy a dedicated timed protein feeder or buy one and use the hammer?
Old 07-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #17
timoub007
Eight Point

If you are buying, go with a krivoman complete feeder from a good site sponsor.

T
Old 07-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #18
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoub007 View Post
Here are some pictures of how you can attach a Hammer feeding system to an All Seasons 2k Evolution protein feeder.

The silver parts are called unistrut, and besides metal shops you can find it at Home Depot. There are captive nuts designed for the slotted rails or you could probably get by with common nuts and bolts if you wanted to spend more time fiddling with the connections. There are 90 degree angle brackets holding the pieces of unistrut together. I drilled two holes in the top of the mechanism box and ran bolts up into the captive nuts in the piece of unistrut on top of the box.

ASF Evolution 2k pf Hammer conversion https://imgur.com/a/BXvAKVM

Thank you Mike for shipping me just the mechanism, box and timer and for answering my questions to get this done. I just installed it last weekend and will report back about it after some time has gone by. I have little doubt that it will work as expected.

Tim

Oh wow. You got the Hammer system moving the big shut off plate. That is genius if it works.

I have seen the tubes cut off but never done this way.

Please let me know how it works. I would love to convert my 3K ASF.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #19
Krivoman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas County

I can make anything work for your feeders. I sell the lower timed unit with the hammer timer unit in an all steel setup.

https://krivomanoutdoors.com/product...-unit-protein/
Krivoman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #20
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico

Pm me with your number and I can give you away to do it for 45 dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #21
timoub007
Eight Point

In my last reply I mentioned that I would provide an update on how my modified ASF is working with the Hammer unit moving the big shut off slide.

It took a little bit of tweaking and a couple of attempts but I believe that I have it setup perfectly now. The way that the slide gate is constructed in the 2k pf allows for pellets to get trapped in the track that the gate slides in. These pieces of protein were causing the slide to bind and bottom out before the actuator had finished it's stroke. When this happens it would either try to bend or break stuff at attachment points or it would pop the fuse.

To combat this I installed a few small pieces of sheet metal inside the feeder that shrinks the opening slightly. This keeps the pellets away from the tracks on each side and allows me to adjust the actuator so that it does not have to close the slide all the way against the end track, it just closes enough to move past the sheet metal I added.

These changes have the 2k working well!!!

After I got the Hammer installed on the 2k I tackled installing it on my older 1k ASF pf with the 4 round feed tubes. I approached the installation the same as I did on the 2k but it took a little more tweaking to get the unistrut positioned correctly and to hold well since all of the surfaces are round.

The other thing I had to tweak is the stopping point of the actuator stroke and thus how far in the slide moves. This adjustment is actually how I figured out how to get the 2k fixed and running well. You see on the 1k the square slide that stops flow on the round pipe has to go past the end to be fully closed. It is also bigger than the pipe diameter so the tracks that it rides in are not exposed to the protein pellets. When I first got it installed on the 1k, the open position of the actuator was actually just barely opening the slide and no feed was being dropped.

Anyway enough words I'm sure you guys want pictures. Here are some showing both installs discussed in this post.

ASF 2k pf internal modifications and 1k pf Hammer installation https://imgur.com/a/C0T6cga

Tim
Old 12-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoub007 View Post
In my last reply I mentioned that I would provide an update on how my modified ASF is working with the Hammer unit moving the big shut off slide.

It took a little bit of tweaking and a couple of attempts but I believe that I have it setup perfectly now. The way that the slide gate is constructed in the 2k pf allows for pellets to get trapped in the track that the gate slides in. These pieces of protein were causing the slide to bind and bottom out before the actuator had finished it's stroke. When this happens it would either try to bend or break stuff at attachment points or it would pop the fuse.

To combat this I installed a few small pieces of sheet metal inside the feeder that shrinks the opening slightly. This keeps the pellets away from the tracks on each side and allows me to adjust the actuator so that it does not have to close the slide all the way against the end track, it just closes enough to move past the sheet metal I added.

These changes have the 2k working well!!!

After I got the Hammer installed on the 2k I tackled installing it on my older 1k ASF pf with the 4 round feed tubes. I approached the installation the same as I did on the 2k but it took a little more tweaking to get the unistrut positioned correctly and to hold well since all of the surfaces are round.

The other thing I had to tweak is the stopping point of the actuator stroke and thus how far in the slide moves. This adjustment is actually how I figured out how to get the 2k fixed and running well. You see on the 1k the square slide that stops flow on the round pipe has to go past the end to be fully closed. It is also bigger than the pipe diameter so the tracks that it rides in are not exposed to the protein pellets. When I first got it installed on the 1k, the open position of the actuator was actually just barely opening the slide and no feed was being dropped.

Anyway enough words I'm sure you guys want pictures. Here are some showing both installs discussed in this post.

ASF 2k pf internal modifications and 1k pf Hammer installation https://imgur.com/a/C0T6cga

Tim

Good idea on the internal metal. Looks like you got it working well.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #23
STONE KILLER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass county

Follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STONE KILLER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #24
ballgame
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
Have you tried this?

Most protein feeders I have seen have a 4" spout. Don't think the cornbank will work with that big of opening.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #25
ballgame
Ten Point

PSA: I emailed with the owner of Cornbank and he said that it will not work with protein.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #26
Kmiche2
Spike

following
Kmiche2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top