Spray foam insulation comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray foam insulation comparison

Several people have asked about this over the years so I thought I'd do a comparison. My neighbor and I both had house built in 2017. His is 3099sf and mine is 3086sf. His was completed in August and mine in October 2017.i do keep my house about 2 degrees cooler than he does. So considering we have more hot days than cold that works against me. We both have the excat same ac/heat system. Built by the same builder. He has a pool and my wife has a electric car she plugs in daily. Other than that they are very similar. He has 2 young kids that leave every light in the house on and I have one teenager that does the same. So I think it's pretty even. Our houses are next door to each other and get the same amount of sunlight, temperature etc.

Over the last 12 months his electric Bill's are $782 more than mine. I paid $8100 more for the cost of the sprayfoam. So it looks like it will be a 10 year payback on the foam. Now to me personally where the foam really makes a difference is in the facts that my attic stays cool, about 7 degrees + or - of the house temperature, so I have tons of storage, no insulation to walk thru getting stuff in and out of the attic, my house is quieter and the best thing of all.... I have less dust in my house than he does. The only drawback we can see is the cost and the fact that I have to have a ERV running 24/7. It is placed by my spare bedroom and sounds like a very quiet fan running. Most people who come to my house never even hear it though.

Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes! My neighbor now wishes he would have done it too. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide whether to spend the money on sprayfoam.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CADDOKILLER; 02-02-2019, 08:19 AM.

I have two similar houses, one with foam and one with regular insulation, the foamed house average electric bill is 80.00, the regular insulation house average bill is 250. I do not know what the cost difference between the two insulations are, I do know that the HVAC equipment in the foam house runs about half the time compared to the other, also it is always cooler or warmer in the foamed house.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
      I have two similar houses, one with foam and one with regular insulation, the foamed house average electric bill is 80.00, the regular insulation house average bill is 250. I do not know what the cost difference between the two insulations are, I do know that the HVAC equipment in the foam house runs about half the time compared to the other, also it is always cooler or warmer in the foamed house.
      That is another good point. My ac runs less too so theoretically it should last longer.

Comment

Yep. Figure in less strain in ac equipment and some extra years of use on it and that 10 year payback drops even lower.

Comment

Another thing that will aid in the sprayfoam payback is that regular insulation sags over the years and become less efficient. Spray foam doesn't do that. I bet on years 10 plus of this this houses life the payback become even quicker.

Comment

Really cool comparison. Have you researched the health risks? I thought I read on here that someone decided against spray foam on account of the possible health risks...

Comment

Good comparison. Nice to have data like this.

Comment

We used it in an add-on. 800 sq. ft. Added an A/C system for that area and at the same time, replaced the (crappy builder grade) windows in the rest of the house.
                Started comparing electricity usage and it stayed the same! ...even after adding the xtra footage and a new a/c system! Windows and spray foam are worth it. Wondering if it doesn't cut down on some of the allergens as well. Sure love the cooler and less messy aspect of attic storage too.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                  Really cool comparison. Have you researched the health risks? I thought I read on here that someone decided against spray foam on account of the possible health risks...
                  From what I have read, some people have reacted different that other. Chemical vapors from some of the agents used in the foam. The other health risk comes when there is a leak and mold growth is escalated.

Here is how I see it.
                  Positives.
                  Lower utility bills
                  Better sound barrier for metal roofs

Risk or Negatives.
                  Extremely hard to find a roof or plumbing leak
                  Altering exterior wall electric and plumbing is a little challenging
                  Higher install cost
                  Possible health concerns but not isolated

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                    Several people have asked about this over the years so I thought I'd do a comparison. My neighbor and I both had house built in 2017. His is 3099sf and mine is 3086sf. His was completed in August and mine in October 2017.i do keep my house about 2 degrees cooler than he does. So considering we have more hot days than cold that works against me. We both have the excat same ac/heat system. Built by the same builder. He has a pool and my wife has a electric car she plugs in daily. Other than that they are very similar. He has 2 young kids that leave every light in the house on and I have one teenager that does the same. So I think it's pretty even. Our houses are next door to each other and get the same amount of sunlight, temperature etc.

Over the last 12 months his electric Bill's are $782 more than mine. I paid $8100 more for the cost of the sprayfoam. So it looks like it will be a 10 year payback on the foam. Now to me personally where the foam really makes a difference is in the facts that my attic stays cool, about 7 degrees + or - of the house temperature, so I have tons of storage, no insulation to walk thru getting stuff in and out of the attic, my house is quieter and the best thing of all.... I have less dust in my house than he does. The only drawback we can see is the cost and the fact that I have to have a ERV running 24/7. It is placed by my spare bedroom and sounds like a very quiet fan running. Most people who come to my house never even hear it though.

Is it worth it? In my opinion, yes! My neighbor now wishes he would have done it too. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide whether to spend the money on sprayfoam.

The house we just built in 1,800 sq/ft and we paid $4,650 for the spray foam. That was after adding it under the stairs and under the one upstairs room.

I do not know what regular insulation costs but I'd assume 2-3k? So I guess I'm saying if people shop around it would only be a 6-7 year payback.

It's well worth it IMO

BTW - What's an ERV?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      The house we just built in 1,800 sq/ft and we paid $4,650 for the spray foam. That was after adding it under the stairs and under the one upstairs room.

I do not know what regular insulation costs but I'd assume 2-3k? So I guess I'm saying if people shop around it would only be a 6-7 year payback.

It's well worth it IMO

BTW - What's an ERV?
                      https://www.lennox.com/products/indo...entilation/erv

No way I would have spray foam without it.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                        Just from my research talking to several builders and people who have it is the only health risks occurs when it is not done properly. Some people try to cheap out and not install some sort of return air system in their house and it causes mold and does not allow fresh, temp controlled air back into the house. But that's just my research.

Mold is a HUGE problem with sprayfoam ic not installed properly.

Comment

Foam is worth every penny! Hands down!!

Comment

Anyone ever sprayfoamed the walls and just did blow in on top of the ceilings? I have a customer on a house I’m building that wants this. I’ve never had this requested and not sure about it.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                              https://www.lennox.com/products/indo...entilation/erv

No way I would have spray foam without it.

What does it do and prevent?

Comment

Working...
                              X