Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 02-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #1251
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Started shooting a black eagle carnivore with a total of 192 grains of weight in the front. I think my FOC is around 16%. I completely blew through a pig and a deer this year. The pig was shot with a slick trick viper and the deer was shot with a two blade Magnus stinger.

I really like this setup, but the 192 grains is made up with a 42 grain insert and a 50 grain weight with a 100 grain head. I have had problems with the weight unscrewing and rattling around. I want to switch to just the 42 grain insert and a 150 grain head to get rid of the issue with rattling.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #1252
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Started shooting a black eagle carnivore with a total of 192 grains of weight in the front. I think my FOC is around 16%. I completely blew through a pig and a deer this year. The pig was shot with a slick trick viper and the deer was shot with a two blade Magnus stinger.

I really like this setup, but the 192 grains is made up with a 42 grain insert and a 50 grain weight with a 100 grain head. I have had problems with the weight unscrewing and rattling around. I want to switch to just the 42 grain insert and a 150 grain head to get rid of the issue with rattling.
The weight screws into the back of the insert similar to a Gold Tip arrow?
Did you try Loctite?
I'm running 50 grains on my regular setup and 30? on my test arrows. I've been using them 3 years(?) now... only lost one weight. It came out the nock when I shot. Sounded like a .22 going off. Luckily I was at the bow shop and they have the long allen wrench to put it back in.

I've been thinking of dropping to a 100 grain head myself and adding weight behind the insert to make up the difference, similar to what you run.
Simply so IF I need to get some Broadheads I can get them quickly and easily. I haven't found many places that carry the 125 grain Magnus Stingers, my preferred head, for now.
let alone the 190 grian landshark or maybe its the tree shark....
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #1253
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
The weight screws into the back of the insert similar to a Gold Tip arrow?
Did you try Loctite?
I'm running 50 grains on my regular setup and 30? on my test arrows. I've been using them 3 years(?) now... only lost one weight. It came out the nock when I shot. Sounded like a .22 going off. Luckily I was at the bow shop and they have the long allen wrench to put it back in.

I've been thinking of dropping to a 100 grain head myself and adding weight behind the insert to make up the difference, similar to what you run.
Simply so IF I need to get some Broadheads I can get them quickly and easily. I haven't found many places that carry the 125 grain Magnus Stingers, my preferred head, for now.
let alone the 190 grian landshark or maybe its the tree shark....
Yea it screws into the back of insert. I have a weird thing about eliminating moving parts or variables, so Iíd rather spend more money on BHs and not worry about the inserts. It just feels simpler, and simple is key to me
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #1254
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

I have used both the Gold Tip and Black Eagle rear insert weights and use the Blue Loctite and have never had one rattle loose, ever and I have been doing this rear insert weights for years
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #1255
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttechhunter View Post
This thread makes me feel like my 420 grain 12% FOC arrows I just built are in adequate!
They arent. I shoot a 350gr arrow with 11pct FOC...I lace everything I shoot
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #1256
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Bump :-)
It's been 14 months since last post.

Anybody got anything new to share this year?
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #1257
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBlkCld View Post
Sorry but 430 grains is not "heavy", thus its "hard" hitting capabilities are limited. Can it kill most anything in North America? Sure but that doesn't necessarily constitute "hard" hitting. Lets take say a 600-650 gr arrow, now that will be a hard hitting arrow. It may not be moving as fast but it will hit like a ton of bricks. In this instance, you have momentum in your favor. It goes back to the slow sledge hammer vs fast claw hammer comparison. I put it like this, would you rather be hit by a smart car doing 60 or a freight train doing 40? Now there will be some arrows in the 425-475 range that will no doubt hit good a hard but not in relation to something a full 100-200 gr heavier.
^ Yup what he said.
I shoot right at 600 total weight with around 22% FOC
Carries momentum further at longer distance. Hits like a freight train.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #1258
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I have used both the Gold Tip and Black Eagle rear insert weights and use the Blue Loctite and have never had one rattle loose, ever and I have been doing this rear insert weights for years
^This right here.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 11:03 PM   #1259
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

I can’t believe we started this post in 2014.
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #1260
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

https://shootingtime.com/archery/high-foc-arrows/
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #1261
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by enewman View Post
I canít believe we started this post in 2014.

It was one for the ages lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #1262
Black-N-Red
Eight Point

I threw 2 arrows together yesterday for my Carbon Spyder to get the weight up from last year. Lasts year arrow weighed in at 371gr. Killed my biggest buck with them but didnít get the penetration I needed. Arrows I put together yesterday are GT Velocity 300 spine, 27 1/8Ē throat to carbon, regular insert, 70gr weight behind the insert, 100gr head (cause I have a ton of 100gr heads) & 3 fletched with AAE Pro Maxx vanes. Total weight came in at 448gr. Iíve only shot them tonight & seem to be flying well, Iíll check farther distances tomorrow. As for FOC Iím getting 17.74%.

Question: could I increase the foc any if I was to use a 50gr brass insert with just a 20gr weight behind it? The reason I ask is that the 50 & 20gr weights together are 1Ē long. My thinking is that if I use a 50gr insert it would be putting more weight to the front of the shaft there for increasing foc. I know not by much but when shooting an arrow that weights only 448gr grains I think all the foc I could muster up would be beneficial.

Side note:
Iím really liking the foc game. Iíve never played around with foc till this year & ive never had arrows fly as straight as I have them flying now. They maybe flying slow but theyíre flying straight!!
Black-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #1263
Rat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-N-Red View Post
Question: could I increase the foc any if I was to use a 50gr brass insert with just a 20gr weight behind it? The reason I ask is that the 50 & 20gr weights together are 1Ē long. My thinking is that if I use a 50gr insert it would be putting more weight to the front of the shaft there for increasing foc. I know not by much but when shooting an arrow that weights only 448gr grains I think all the foc I could muster up would be beneficial.

Side note:
Iím really liking the foc game. Iíve never played around with foc till this year & ive never had arrows fly as straight as I have them flying now. They maybe flying slow but theyíre flying straight!!
Yes, about 1% or so. I shoot the exact same shafts and changing from stacked weights and Alu. inserts to a Brass insert gave me about a 1% bump. Regardless, they are just easier to build. Even though I always use loctite on the weights I am also always worried they are going to come loose (which they never have).
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #1264
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Got with muddyfuzzy to build me a new set of sticks, and first time I’ve ever Gave weight or foc a thought.. 500 gr black eagle spartan with 17% foc. Should be a hammer and be a good setup for Africa when I go in 2 years
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top