Fun with acetylene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun with acetylene

Did a fun little project after work today with my torch. Just used a #3 welding tip, which provided plenty of heat. Came out great for a first attempt! I think I’m going to attempt forging a chipping hammer head for the top then heat the extra handle material to fold over the top and hold the head to the handle. Or maybe it will become something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice

Comment

I like it!

Comment

thats really cool

Comment

Very cool. Is it made from chain?

Comment

I was wondering the same...at first. He braided the metal. Folded one piece and tagged another leg on at the loop then braided. Heat fold. Heat fold. Heat fold. Pimp.

That is super cool TXPit.

Comment

Looks like a good kayak anchor just like it is.

Comment

I need one like that except about 2 foot long, it make a good key fob for my wife, but she would probably still misplace it.

Comment

That's cool! I watched a show years ago and Indian Larry tig welded the links of a chain together. He used it for a down tube on a chopper.

Comment

Very cool, can you tell us more details on how you made it?

Comment

From the title, I thought you were blowing up ant beds or ground hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Very cool, can you tell us more details on how you made it?
                        Sure no problem. Probably easier to visualize the process. I attached the video I got the idea from below. Personally, for 1/4” stock though, a rosebud puts out more heat than you need and just wastes gas. The #3 tip gave me better control of the heat but still put out enough to get the entire thing glowing for when I tightened it up with a hammer.

I have a 10ft length of 5/8” rod stock that I’m going to try using next to make a bigger version. Should make a handle about 12-15” long and stout enough to hold a pretty serious blade on the end. Gonna need a bigger vise and a bigger anvil though!

Comment

That's super cool

Comment

Very nice my friend! You are just full of cool ideas! Talented too!

Comment

Is this a grappling hook?

Comment

Working...
                              X