Trophy question on pigs and yotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boar with big cutters....yes
    Coyotes only if we are hunting a competition....we’ve killed a 42# and 45#’er

Comment

Agreed. 300+ on hogs and any yote over 35 lbs is impressive specimen in my books.

Comment

I think Ia bog boar is a trophy for sure. And I never really wanted to kill a coyote or would've considered mounting one till I got this pic a few years ago. I wanted to kill that one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

A boar with huge cutters and a black coyote yes. Otherwise it's just another coyote or hog. As far as the difficulty aspect of it I'd consider coyotes to be smarter than just about any other critter you can hunt. So getting one with a bow is trophy worthy in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
            Have you ever been in precision archery and seen their hog mounts? That's what I'm hoping for.
            Yes I have.

It is interesting to listen to peoples comments on what is trophies to thm. I have taken many yotes, called a couole in, but I consider them vermin. The only one I would consider mounting is a black one. Newtin Cty has that phase color.

Hogs are vermin you can eat. I never really considered having one mounted. I have kilt my share of hogs, come close one time to 300. Shot him in the ear hole at 72 yards with my 22 mag. I took one that weighed 150, gorgeous red hide with a beautiful full bristle on his neck. Guess I missed on that one.

Loving the comments, keep em coming. Thanx
            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-10-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I always carry scales to weigh big hogs.

Comment

A trophy to me is something personal to remember a hunt. Could be your son's first squirrel or rabbit, or an animal that you put in a lot of effort to bag. Doesn't matter to me if anyone else would consider it a "trophy...it's all about the memories.

I made rugs from my first 2 bow killed coyotes. Never mounted any hogs, but we have a monster boar on the lease that I would do a euro mount of. We only see him on cameras.

Comment

Coyote with a bow = trophy

Big hog 300# or massive cutters = trophy

Would have yote hide tanned if a good quality coat

Hog euro but hog shoulder mounts don't do anything for me

Comment

Would love to have a big unusual colored boar mounted as a trophy for the cabin, but too tight!
                    Have only considered a euro on a couple, but was alone and no help with him.
                    Coyotes, no. Just kill them when I see them

Comment

"The only one I would consider mounting is a black one. Newtin Cty has that phase color"

A few years ago on my lease east of newton we had an old man kill a black coyote and a normal color phase together. He didnt seem to care and just dumped it in the gut pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Are they calibrated to add 30-100 pounds?

To op, remember also that a trophies vary area to area also. Some places it's very hard to kill a coyote at all. Same with hogs.

Some are special memories also.

Comment

One of my best memories hunting was when I called a coyote in. I was deer hunting and I saw him across a clearcut. Called him across the cut and he went straight down wind to a point where I couldn't see him, didn't smell me for whatever reason. I switched to squeaker from a squealer. He came right to me. 15 yd shot. Got it on video. That was pretty sweet.

Comment

I think the phrase of the trophy being in the eye of the beholder holds true. For me, a 'trophy pig' is going to either have extra long cutters, weigh a whole lot, weigh kind-of whole lot and be a cool color, or perhaps one I have a history with trying to kill. A 'trophy coyote' would have to either be black or weigh 40+ lbs.
                            Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            They are trophies when they are trophies. A trophy is just something your are proud of.
                            This^
                            Last edited by Patton; 12-10-2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Are they calibrated to add 30-100 pounds?

To op, remember also that a trophies vary area to area also. Some places it's very hard to kill a coyote at all. Same with hogs.

Some are special memories also.
                              I like to keep a clear conscious. How about you?

Always helps to have TBH witnesses too.

The fish are biting. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                                So true :-)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X