new lens pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new lens pics

I finally got a portrait lens. These aren't exactly portraits but got some cool pics. I was able to get really close to these little buggers.

And some of the kids

My gosh man...those are awesome. The colors really pop!

Comment

That's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
        My gosh man...those are awesome. The colors really pop!
        The first one is my favorite out of the butterfly pics. The colors in that one were pretty crazy.

Comment

Whst lens and body is it on?

Comment

D5100 body, going to get a D750 soon.
            Lens is a 50mm 1.8 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-af...&skuId=3188049

Comment

Those are the kinds of portraits I like taking! Very well done, sir.

Comment

Great shots! Portrait work has always been a favorite of mine.

Tip: With aperture that high, always put your focal point on your subjects eyes! That is where the human eye looks first when studying a portrait! The portrait can look soft if the eyes aren't sharp.

You will love your 50mm! Keep taking and posting pics!!

Comment

Nice shots!

It's interesting what different people consider the ideal portrait lens. I have taken portraits with almost all my lenses at one time or another. I have a 50mm f/1.2 prime and have also used it for portraits, but would probably consider that somewhat on the low end of portrait focal length. I think most of my portrait shots probably happen from about 70mm to about 100mm.

But one thing I really love about using a 50mm prime for candid portraits is that, because it's physically short, the people you're shooting tend to underestimate the magnification that's involved. I can point my 70-200mm at someone and even if I'm farther away from them and only have it dialed to 70mm, they tend to get a little paranoid. Whereas I can walk right up and take what is actually a tighter shot with the 50mm and it's no big deal to them. That can be very helpful for getting some good candids in a crowd.

You will love that lens!

Comment

Great pics!

And some good advise. Reminds me to get my camera out and the prime lens and get some pics of the kids. Great time of year for it and they grow up so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
                      Nice shots!

It's interesting what different people consider the ideal portrait lens. I have taken portraits with almost all my lenses at one time or another. I have a 50mm f/1.2 prime and have also used it for portraits, but would probably consider that somewhat on the low end of portrait focal length. I think most of my portrait shots probably happen from about 70mm to about 100mm.

But one thing I really love about using a 50mm prime for candid portraits is that, because it's physically short, the people you're shooting tend to underestimate the magnification that's involved. I can point my 70-200mm at someone and even if I'm farther away from them and only have it dialed to 70mm, they tend to get a little paranoid. Whereas I can walk right up and take what is actually a tighter shot with the 50mm and it's no big deal to them. That can be very helpful for getting some good candids in a crowd.

You will love that lens!
                      I'm still shooting dx format so it has equivalent of 75mm lens. I have a 70-300 also and I've used it a lot. The picture of my son on the horse was shot with the 70-300 at around 200mm. I love the 70-300 lens because it is so universal length wise, but its slow f stop hurts in low light. That's why I wanted a fast 50 prime lens. What I really want is a better body that is FX format. I'm planning on the Nikon D750 in January or February when money permits.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                        Great shots! Portrait work has always been a favorite of mine.

Tip: With aperture that high, always put your focal point on your subjects eyes! That is where the human eye looks first when studying a portrait! The portrait can look soft if the eyes aren't sharp.

You will love your 50mm! Keep taking and posting pics!!
                        Thanks for the tip. Never thought about that at all. But your exactly right, when I go to look at a pic that is where I start. I primarily shoot wildlife ad scenery so I'm new to people. lol.

Comment

Nice shots. Vivid colors.

Comment

Great shots! Are these edited or color enhanced?

Comment

Working...
                            X