New Lens! (Tamron super zoom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Lens! (Tamron super zoom)

Monday, I had a meeting in Houston, and thought I'd go in early to see if Houston Camera Exchange had an clean used 100-400L or 400 5.6L lenses. I've been very happy with my 200-500 Tamron for the past year and a half, but it was mainly just to see if I wanted to spend more $ on a wildlife lens, or not. For the $450 investment, that 200-500 Tamron was a much better lens than I expected, and I enjoyed using it a lot.

But when I discovered Tamron was coming out with the 150-600 with Vibration Correction (VC), I was intrigued. Esp. since the brand new price was just over $1K - about what I'd spend on a used 100-400L or 400 5.6L anyway.

But they have been so hard to find that I figued I was going to get the first of the three I could lay my hands on for a good price.

Monday was a sign, I guess, since HCX didn't have either of the L lenses, but they did just get in the Tamron! I figure someone was trying to tell me something, so I traded in my 200-500 and bought the new lens.

That evening, I was at the Houston Zoo for the last hour of the day, and had a chance to run around and take some photos. These were all hand-held in very low light. A tough test for a 600mm lens on a 1.6x crop body! (50D).

Here's what I came up with. I was more than satisfied. I think I made a good decision. More to follow for sure!

BTW, these are small jpegs straight out of the camera - no PP at all.
    Attached Files

Wow! Great pics!

What is the f stop range on that lens?

And how big is it?

Comment

You're killing me!

Because mine is still on backorder!

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
        You're killing me!

Because mine is still on backorder!
        LOL David. Hope you get it sooner than later.

Those are really good shots John. I got a look at this lens when shooting the white hummingbird in August. I would like to own it as well but would work to trade my current long lens, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM for it. I'm going to have to wait until they are readily available though.

Comment

Sorry Snakelover! I truly wasn't expecting Houston Camera Exchange to even have one as I knew they were on backorder all over the place, including B&H - where I usually shop. I nearly placed an order for one months ago there, but decided I liked my 200-500 just fine.

Well, then I borrowed a buddy's 100-400 that was noticeably sharper than mine, and figured it was time to upgrade. I honestly was looking for a used 100-400 when the guy behind the counter said "you know we just got in a Tamron 150-600..." to which I replied "REEEAAAAAALLLLYYYYY... ?!?"

Mike, that 150-600 is a F5-6.3 lens

I had it out again today and I'm digging the extra reach on the short end as much as I am on the long end.

And yea, it's friggin' sharp as heck. Easily as sharp as that 100-400 I borrowed.

Here's a couple from today...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Limbwalker; 10-01-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I'm happy you were able to get one. And I can be patient. I just hope Tamron keeps building them right and doesn't start cutting any corners to try to catch up with demand. B&H keeps sending me order status emails saying it's still on backorder. Of course, every time they do that, I open the email hoping to read, "Your order has shipped."

Nice pics!

Comment

Sounds like I need to put one on back order

Comment

I'd keep checking in with Houston Camera Exchange and see if they have another (I forgot to ask, I was so excited about getting the one I have !) or will be getting another soon. Those are great folks there. I've had a good experience every time I've walked in that place.

Comment

Now I want a new lense that I don't really need but could really use.

Comment

A few from yesterday afternoon. The hawk was sitting on my back yard fence when I got home, trying to catch sparrows off my neighbor's feeders.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have been doing quite a bit of reading on this lens, and now I want one.

Sigma is coming out with 2 new lenses to compete with the Tamron, but look to be more expensive.

Comment

Yea, it's pretty impressive, but I have to admit I'm not digging the added weight vs. my old 200-500. This thing weighs 2x as much at about 4.5 lbs. I was used to my 2.5 lb. lens, I guess.

BTW, all those images are jpeg's straight from the camera with maybe a little crop. No sharpening done at all, so they would only get better if I knew how to do the least bit of PP. That's something I just haven't learned yet.

Comment

Looks like it's working well for you!! There is a lot of buzz about this lens. Keep sharing your pics from it.

Comment

Those are very impressive pictures

Comment

I would like to see these stocked. I would be willing to trade my Canon L glass for this lens.

Comment

Working...
                              X