Beavers Bend State Park ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beavers Bend State Park ?

Anyone trout fish this area? Family & I are taking a 3 day trip the weekend before Thansgiving. My son is bugging me about fishing. Thought we might try our hand at some trout fishing. Is November bad timing to be successful? What's recommended...shallow water, still or find good moving water? Live bait or artificial? For the record I don't have fly fishing gear nor do I know squat about trout fishing...Just looking for tips to give my son a good experience. Thanks

Hard to go wrong with salmon eggs. Barbless artificial lures only are allowed in the red zones.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
      Anyone trout fish this area? Family & I are taking a 3 day trip the weekend before Thansgiving. My son is bugging me about fishing. Thought we might try our hand at some trout fishing. Is November bad timing to be successful? What's recommended...shallow water, still or find good moving water? Live bait or artificial? For the record I don't have fly fishing gear nor do I know squat about trout fishing...Just looking for tips to give my son a good experience. Thanks

When you get there go to the fly shop and ask them what to use. They have all the stuff you would need even if you aren't fly fishing. They can tell you what they are biting on. There are certain zones down there where you can only use artificial and Barb has to be pinched. They are strict on that too. If you can stick the hook in cotton and the barb pulls any cotton they can give you a ticket. You'll probably want to stay in the section where you can have barbed hooks. There is a bridge that was washed out, if you hike up river you have a better chance at catching fish in pools.

Some buddies and I this year hiked from the dam to the washed out bridge and fished on the way down. It was a lot of fun and really pretty. We caught most of our fish in pools on the way down and less people fish those pools.

With that said my buddy and I fished the barbless section for thought in our waders and you could see the fish in about a foot and a half of water. I fly fished and he used a barbless super duper and caught like 6 fish and I caught 0. I think the area we fished got hit with flies so much they weren't use to the super duper. You just have to throw those back that you catch in that zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used salmon eggs down stream from the bridge where the fly only zone (I believe that what's it is). There are great areas and some GREAT areas, love that place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I fly fish there but small gold super dupers work well. Theres also bass,crappie,walleye in there in some sections as well. Small crankbaits or spinners for them.
          Last edited by Fishxbones; 10-10-2017, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

You can also go to the lake. Plenty of campgrounds and ramps to bank fish the coves. Bass and sand bass should still be schooling chasing shad. If you have a boat you can really clean up

Comment

Cheapest canned corn you can find (tougher the better and stays on hook better)

Have not found a place where you can use baits that canned corn does not work on trout. Split shot 6 to 12 inches above small hook. Load up the hook and load up on the trout. Fresh trout sure makes a great meal.

I believe below the dam you can use worms, corn, whaterever to catch trout. Great experience for youngster. When the whistle blows get out of there as the dams are opening.

Comment

Beavers Bend has some outstanding fishing. BuckHand used to go every year. I went a couple of years ago and had an absolute blast. I caught 90% of my fish on a 1/8oz Mepp’s in-line spinner in firetiger color. Find moving water with big boulders. Cast on the up current side and basically just keep the lure off bottom while it drifts around the big boulders. Fish will be on the down current side. My biggest was 28” when we went.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                    Beavers Bend has some outstanding fishing. BuckHand used to go every year. I went a couple of years ago and had an absolute blast. I caught 90% of my fish on a 1/8oz Mepp’s in-line spinner in firetiger color. Find moving water with big boulders. Cast on the up current side and basically just keep the lure off bottom while it drifts around the big boulders. Fish will be on the down current side. My biggest was 28” when we went.

That's a haul right there! Very nice

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Looks like per the map that zone 1 is where we will be which is included the lake dam & below all the way to the state park dam. This covers the swim areas & the powerhouse. Shows use of barbed hooks & bait is permitted. Limit is 6 for rainbows

Comment

Took a family trip in July. Every other Thursday the fish and game dept release 500 brown trout and 1500 rainbow trout. They released them on the river side of the dam that particular day. I didn't have fly fishing gear. So I used a black and white rooster tale 2 casts, caught 2 rainbows landed. Then I lost my lure on a rock the next cast. I went with a gold spoon and limited out within 45 minutes. It was a really cool experience because the water is clear and you can see the trout chase your lure. Talked to some of the locals and they said the best time to go is in January.

Comment

It's a fun place! I've just fly fished it and I'm terrible but usually we can catch a few. It doesn't seem as good as it was before the floods IMO but still worth going! Winter is the time to go!

Comment

If I wanted to tent camp there and fish the river, where would the best place be to camp? I would also like to fish behind the dam.

Comment

Working...
                              X