So Close....Too Close (my new longbow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Close....Too Close (my new longbow)

Finally got to go out to the lease with the BlueRidge that I bought from Stick. Wow, what a sweet shooting bow. I finally got comfortable enough to try to hunt with it and try to get something into my comfortable shooting range (which is about 12-15 yards). Now keep in mind that I have killed hogs and javis with my recurves but that was about 8-10 years ago so I'm in the learning process again.

Beautiful morning to go and as I was going in my BIL who leases and takes care of this ranch was coming out and he said that he'd already corned the roads and there were already deer out eating it.......sure enough there were deer all over the place including where my torn up Max Ground Blind was, still, a promising sight.

I proceeded to drive up and scare off all the deer and started throwing my Buck Candy laced corn (they love this stuff). I decided to put this corn out at about 8-10 yards just to be on the safe side.......mistake. Do you all know that at that distance the deer can HEAR you breath, well they can. I had about 8 doe and a couple of bucks all within breathing range.

I'm going to have to keep practicing to extend my effective shooting range to 15-20 yards. So anytime I tried to make a move to try to get into position to shoot I had 20 pairs of ears and eyes trying to figure out what the heck was making that noise and movement.

So No I didn't get a shot but nevertheless had a great time, this is what hunting is all about, thank you Lord.
    Attached Files

Wow what great pictures. Just learn to control that breathing and make sure your clothing is quiet. I've killed deer at 5 yards without them hearing. Keep after them, I know you'll succeed. Thanks again for posting the photos, Durk.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!!! I made the same mistake a little over a week ago and put a pile of corn to close to a tree stand I was hunting of my Bosses. Sure enough when I went to draw back every time the deer would spook. I still have a lot of learning to do with this Trad hunting. The good thing is I get to gain that experience by hunting more and more

Comment

"Do you all know that at that distance the deer can HEAR you breathe?"

Yeah and if you are like me, you breathe quite a bit louder when there's a deer at 10 yards!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post

Yeah and if you are like me, you breathe quite a bit louder when there's a deer at 10 yards!
          Amen to that as well as a road racing heart beat!!!lol Great pics! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post

Yes Jerp, I think its called hyperventilating, but what do I know. If they weren't so noisy I would have had a paper bag to breath into......I was getting light headed

Comment

Nice set up. I had the same thing last night. It was dead calm, and a doe came in to 15 yards and it was too close. I couldn't hardly move to turn on my video camera without her looking at me. I don't hate the wind like I used to....it covers my noise.

Comment

you should have just reched out and petted them to calm them down

Comment

It's true, I made the mistake of touching a fletch last year and some does bolted. When they are close, you have to be ninja quiet.

Comment

Stuck a Javi, now have a 8 ptr in front, he's kind of young I think

Comment

Nice post, Congrats and welcome to the funnest hunting you will ever have.............

Comment

Wow! Great pic!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I love to shoot my deer at 10yds! That is one of the reasons I like the netting in my blind windows. They sometimes hear little noises I make but a lot of times just look in my direction for a minute and then go about their business.......until one of them gets shot! And yes, even with the netting, the real nervous ones bolt and run at the slightest sound. And I agree with bdphunt too.....a little wind in the right direction is a good thing!

Good luck! Looks like you got some good deer on that place.

Bisch

Comment

Good Luck. Congrats on the Javi

Comment

Good stuff Rudy! You could always hunt naked to cut down on the noise. Heaven knows it's hot enough down there to.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X