Stick bow Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick bow Poll

I want to start shooting traditional but do not know which style of bow to get.
    What is your favorite bow and why? I plan on tree stand/ground blind hunting for deer and pigs. Also include a picture of your bow so I can get a feel for what I want to shoot.

Its going to be hard to get a feel for what you want to shoot from a picture. The best way to find out what is right for you is to get together with some trad guys in your area and shoot all of their bows. My personal favorite is my Bobcatt II recurve by Sarrels. You can see some great pics on his website. www.Sarrels Archery.com.

Comment

Pics really won't do you any good, you should put your hands on several and find what fits you and feels good in your hand. Mr. Sarrels does make some fine bows

Comment

I understand the best way is to actually go out and shoot them but I just wanted to see what style of bow is used the most among TBH. Kinda of like buying a new car. One may drive awesome but if its not appealing to your eye you probably wont buy it.

Comment

Sarrels Sierra and my Sarrels Teton are my two favorite bows on my wall they both just fit my hand and are smooth shooting and I feel zero handshock out of either one with the right arrow

Comment

Originally posted by Court2005 View Post
            I understand the best way is to actually go out and shoot them but I just wanted to see what style of bow is used the most among TBH. Kinda of like buying a new car. One may drive awesome but if its not appealing to your eye you probably wont buy it.
            I'm not sure there is a bow thats used "the most". Almost every one of us has at least one recurve, one longbow and one selfbow. We have three or four of each. Heck, I have three longbows and three selfbows. I don't even know how many Arvin has.

Comment

Sarrels,black widow,centaur,bigjims thunderchild, a few martins..... Just a few I have shot, i havent shot one I dislike yet!lol

Comment

I have 2 on the wall that i love the most. My Horne 3 piece longbow, and my Bob Lee "Ultimate" recurve. Both are great looking bows in their own way, as well as great shooters. But the feel of each is night and day. It's all about finding the right one. And when you find it, keep it. I sold a Black Widow a while back that I really regret selling. When you find "the bow" you'll know it.
                B

Comment

I like longbows and recurves..... Dont shoot one better than the other in my honest opinion. In my exprience longbows tend to be quiter.

Comment

I am thinned WAY down from past years on numbers of bows. I have a go to recurve as well as longbow I shoot the longbow best but still love to shoot the recurve. I shoot "little, short, stupid bows ( longbow is 50"s tip to tip and my recurve is 49&1/2"s). The longbow is a Lost Creek, one recurve is a Black Mountain "Shaman" and my other recurve is a Sarrels Wildcatt.

Comment

Well everyone else has pretty much got this one covered!

Traditional bows are very subjective when it comes to individual fit and feel. Most bowyers will have a particular style or trend within the various models they offer but there are few few universal applications when it comes to picking the right bow.

If you are coming from shooting a compound you would probably be well served to buy a recurve first. Recurves typically have a medium or high-wrist grip profile that is similar to what you would have on a compound bow, longbows will typically have a low-wrist grip which some converts find akward at first.

Outside of that your options are pretty much wide open! I'd recommend starting off with something that doesn't break the bank ($150-$200 max). Get yourself a well made bow that's at a good starting weight (see other thread) and once you have your sea legs start going to some trad only shoots and politely ask folks to give their bows a test drive. There are a lot of talented bowyers out there and once you have an idea of what would you want all you have to do is pick out your wood combinations and turn 'em loose!

BTW, There are a ton of "show us your bow" threads here in the trad section, just do a quick search and you'll have enough eye candy to keep you drooling for a couple of hours
                      Last edited by agtex42; 11-27-2012, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Bows are like Women, Once you try one you want to try them all. Just kidding girls don't jump on me. If you want some advice buy a Takedown.

Comment

Journeyman

I have shot a lot of different bows and I prefer the Journeyman Recurves http://www.journeymanarchery.com/Home_Page.php.

Here's a picture of one of my bows from last month.

Comment

big black widow fan myself
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	lion3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	24145027

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	24145028