No announcement yet.

A Karmann Ghia named Sue - 31May11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***NOTE*** My last post above was a repost from 04Jun11...similar to Joey's motorcycle rebuild, I am going to keep my progress under one thread versus multiples.

What a better way to spend Father’s Day than underneath a vehicle turning a wrench and getting a tad bit greasy. After church services and a little lunch, Mason joined me in the garage as we were gonna pull Sue’s guts out…

After a bit of research, I knew what needed to be disconnected, labeled, removed, etc. I commenced to surveying the situation.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	23997786

Name:	IMG_3501.JPG
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	23997787

And under the watchful eye of Mason, I got my fat A under Sue and took out the four bolts that keep her engine attached to the tranny.

Name:	IMG_3506.JPG
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	23997788

Name:	IMG_3510.JPG
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	23997789

Approximately one hour after entering the garage; the beast was out of her home.

Name:	IMG_3512.JPG
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	23997790

Name:	IMG_3513.JPG
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	23997791

She will receive a SCAT engine upgrade taking her from 1600cc’s to 1641cc’s, an generator to alternator conversion and a Pertronix electronic ignition kit. Other than that, standard rebuild with stock style pieces and parts.

I couldn’t have done it without the help of “man-child”…helping his father out on Father’s Day…love it.

Name:	IMG_3518.JPG
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	23997792

Now I can sit back and contemplate the next steps…stay tuned.

Name:	IMG_3521.JPG
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	23997793
    Last edited by KHo; 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Awesome Kevin!

Comment

Nodding..........yep, uh huh................nodding....

I'm ashamed to say the VW motor knowledge has evaded me through the years....

I did drive a girl in high schools bug up a fairly sizeable hill one time on a bet though! Because my dad told me they'd do it! Apparently my grandad had one for a deer lease vehicle back in the day.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Nodding..........yep, uh huh................nodding....

I'm ashamed to say the VW motor knowledge has evaded me through the years....

I did drive a girl in high schools bug up a fairly sizeable hill one time on a bet though! Because my dad told me they'd do it! Apparently my grandad had one for a deer lease vehicle back in the day.....
            VERY simple engines Dale. Remove in an hour, rebuild in a day, reinstall in an hour. The transmission is almost as simple. Keep following along as I will - slowly, but surely - have her in multiple pieces.

Speaking of VW lease vehicles, we had one at our lease in Shiro for many years. Cows ate the seats after someone left the doors ajar as they originally contained straw. My dad and lease mates put modified dually hubs on the rear and had double tires, chained, in the back...she was a machine. Rough has heck to ride in, but she would get you across the property and back and then some...

Comment

I am a fan of this thread for sure.

Good job Kevin! Your turning into TBH's version of Chip Foose

Comment

Need an update, hand!
                Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Awesome project, can't wait to see what's next. Great Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                    I am a fan of this thread for sure.

Good job Kevin! Your turning into TBH's version of Chip Foose
                    That what I was thinking. But Foose gets it done in a week Good job and can't wait to see the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey~AP View Post
                      Need an update, hand!
                      Yep, get back to work, boys!
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

This is very cool!!!! Nice job on the rebuild so far!

Comment

This is a good thread. I, too, bought a bug when I joined the AF back in 1986. i found an old 1960 bug convertible, restored it, from ground up. Replaced the original 1600cc motor w/generator to a modern day (at the time) 2110cc motor, dual carbs and very nice sounding exhaust. kept the original glass from the convertible and had a new top made. Wish I had pics to show...maybe i can find some to scan and post.

keep up the good work...I have always had a soft spot for bugs and ghias.

Comment

With the pop-up being sold last weekend, the AFE for the next phase of Sue was approved. Mason and I made the trek to the west side this morning to Texas Aircooled...I left them with quite a laundry list that will get Sue's engine purring like a käfer in no time. It will take several weeks for all the pieces and parts to arrive so I have time for the other portion of this phase. Removing the body from the frame and doing as much body work, welding, etc. prior to paint and body - the next phase of the project.

This is how we started this afternoon - re-arranging everything in the garage and allowing us as much room as possible to move around. I have quite a bit of room in my rental, storage unit, so the loose parts will be heading there tomorrow or over the next few days.

Name:	IMG_3695.JPG
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	24018066

In order to lift the body, I wanted to remove the doors for weight considerations and other repairs, so that was next. It was quite a feat with some of the hardware that was involved.

Name:	IMG_3696.JPG
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	24018067

With the doors removed, there is a tendency for the body to fold - ever so slightly - upon itself; therefore, I would need to construct a brace that would take the place of the door frames. My new grinder got a bit of a workout today.

Name:	IMG_3699.JPG
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	24018068

This may give you an idea of the brace in question...

Name:	IMG_3710.JPG
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	24018069

And the other end...I think the sticker is somewhat ironic here...

Name:	IMG_3711.JPG
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	24018070

And a bit more grinding...

Name:	IMG_3702.JPG
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	24018071

And things went downhill from here. I haven't welded since??? and it is apparent. I fooled with heat and feed until I was blue in the face. I am enlisting the help of my dad for some OJT.

Name:	IMG_3707.JPG
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	24018072

Until next time...

Comment

Did some the early models of these have Porsche Engines from the factory ?

Comment

Originally posted by marceco View Post
                                Did some the early models of these have Porsche Engines from the factory ?
                                I am not for sure...I know my 1973 shown at the very top had both an Audi and VW logo on the block. I haven't found anything similiar on "Sue's" block...yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X