X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teeth look 3.5 but he's obviously older. I say 4.5

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      I see 3 in those teeth, but aging by tooth wear is a very inaccurate method.

Too many variables unaccounted for.
      Yep. No way that’s a 3.5 year old buck.

I shot a buck 2 weeks ago I know for a fact was at least 4.5. Looking at his jaw you’d swear he was 2.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Yep. No way that’s a 3.5 year old buck.

I shot a buck 2 weeks ago I know for a fact was at least 4.5. Looking at his jaw you’d swear he was 2.5.
        I know for sure he's not 3.5. He weighed 183 on the hoof and they have been chasing for the last 10 days or more, so he was probably closer to 190 a few weeks ago. I'm thinking he is 5.5, going to send tooth off and see what they have to say. Either way my son is happy.

Comment

old enough, congrats to ur son, nice buck

Comment

Havent yall been feeding protein for a number of years now? That will have a tremendous impact on wear. As you know I was across the fence from you for a long time. After my deer were on protein for 4 or 5 years, it became impossible to use wear as an age indicator. My known 7.5+ yr old deer had teeth of a 4.5 or 5.5 yr old.

Comment

Congrats to your son!

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnEO View Post
                No sway back, no real paunch in his stomach, and no roman nose...this buck is not old. I'll say no older than the 4 year old range, maybe 3.5.
                X2

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  Havent yall been feeding protein for a number of years now? That will have a tremendous impact on wear. As you know I was across the fence from you for a long time. After my deer were on protein for 4 or 5 years, it became impossible to use wear as an age indicator. My known 7.5+ yr old deer had teeth of a 4.5 or 5.5 yr old.
                  The only problem with this is, I have sent teeth off that were aged at 4.5 by biologist and came back 4.5 from lab. Have sent teeth off that looked 4.5 and came back 6.5. The deer I posted looked 6.5 on the hoof, but now I'm just not sure. Do you think he's in the 6.5+ range? To answer your question on protein, this would be our 6th year.

Comment

5.5, good buck. Congrats to your son!

Comment

6.5 and the teeth don't change that. We've had known deer that were over 6.5, that had 4.5 yo teeth.

Comment

Sure had me fooled. By looking at the pics I figured 5 for sure. Makes me doubt the management 8 I had in mind. Coastal deer in my opinion are the hardest to age on the hoof.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          The only problem with this is, I have sent teeth off that were aged at 4.5 by biologist and came back 4.5 from lab. Have sent teeth off that looked 4.5 and came back 6.5. The deer I posted looked 6.5 on the hoof, but now I'm just not sure. Do you think he's in the 6.5+ range? To answer your question on protein, this would be our 6th year.
                          I'm in the 6.5+ camp. When you get the teeth back I'd sure like to know they say.

Comment

I was guessing 4.5 based on your pictures. His jaw shows 3.5 to 4.5. Interested to see what age the lab comes up with.

Comment

Congrats to your son....nice buck!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X