No announcement yet.

Porcupines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We shoot them , dogs , cattle, and pocupins love to chew on wires and hydroelectric lines on tractors

Comment

They are kinda cool critters. I really don't see what good it is to shoot them but then I am not a ranch owner either. We've seen them off and on in San Saba County but it's not something you see every day. To each his own I guess.

Comment

Kill them on our place. They'll eat quite a bit of protein and show up every night.

Comment

I shot one to have it mounted. I probably won't shoot another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
            I would love to shoot one just for the mount . Same as a badger .
            X2!!!!!

Comment

The are nothing more than another Corn thief! Also, the will do a lot of damage to fruit trees.

Comment

Have shot one with my bow many years ago, and not had the opportunity to shoot another. That being said I have seen pics of several in Callahan county and I will shoot them if given the opportunity. Cool little critters, but I do not want to know what my vet bill will be if my dog found one and decided to introduce herself.

Comment

They don't bother anything on our place. I have no desire to shoot one.

Comment

Only reason I'd shoot one is if I had fruit or nut trees and they showed up. they will kill big trees in a short period of time. They eat the bark, especially on fruit trees. We had 'em on our place out west. They never bothered anything so I didn't bother them.

Comment

My dad doesn't like them because he says they eat his trees. I give them a pass.

Comment

It would have to be a big one I wanted to mount... I've literally walked up to one and poked it with a shed when we were looking for a deer one day a few years back. It was sleeping in the sun and when my shadow covered his face he woke up, and just walked off...

Comment

Shoot. Landowner says shoot every single one because they will kill the baby goats

Comment

Our land owner instructed us to kill every one we see. Something about they messing up his Dorper ground maggots aka sheep. I would much rather kill all them ground maggots. Ground maggots are danged near as bad as goats.
                            When I see a p-pine I just use a rock or limb and smash it's little head. No use wasting a perfectly good arra. They are real slow moving so easy to get close to.
                            Do not run over one with your ATV even with tires full of elephant snot.
                            Last edited by muzzlebrake; 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Cutest critter I've ever seen was a baby 'cupine on Juno Road, north of Comstock.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                                They can and do kill trees by eating the bark off. They can also be a pain in protein feeders. I kinds like them, but I'm probably in the minority. They can cause an issue to dogs and deer, but deer typically know to keep the hell away from them...
                                ^^^^This. They eat the bark off trees and it kills the tree eventually.

Comment

Working...
                                X