DIY water well drilling rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY water well drilling rig

Me and a buddy decided to try and build a water drilling rig. we just started looking online and watching YouTube videos for all the info we needed. we're not sure if this this will work but we will give it a try. we are doing this on the cheap and are using a lot of scrap metal and whatever else we can find. bought the water swivel, hydraulic motor, valve body , and most of the other misc. parts off eBay.

this is probably going to be a long build and we are in no hurry to get it done.

here is a picture of the motors, valve body and swivel

here we made the base out of I-beam and my buddy is welding the 14' upright. we used 4" channel and 2 3/8" pipe cut to 3" for spacers.

this picture shows the 14' upright welded to the base . we didn't realize how tall 14' was until we stood it up and almost took out the light.

next we started on the sled that will travel up and down the Channel. this will hold our motor and swivel. we're not sure exactly what we are doing and wanted to make sure this thing would be heavy enough to carry the weight of all of our drill stem. so we used 1/2" plate.

here is the sled on the upright with the motor and swivel in place.

on most of the rigs we looked at online never had any support on the swivel. all the weight was on the motor and the swivel just hung there. you can see that we added the bottom plate and added a support bearing. this should carry all the weight of the drill stem.

Here is a video on it and some of the other stuff we still need to do.

sorry couldn't get the video to load so just click on the link
    AY
    Last edited by yanta61; 09-26-2011, 08:23 AM.

looking forward to seeing this work. Very cool project.

Comment

awesome project, tuned in for results

Comment

wow this could get expensive. are there any permits that you have to get to be able to drill?

Comment

That is cool. Good luck with your endevor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
            That is cool. Good luck with your endevor.
            X2 pretty cool

Comment

thanks.... we are looking into the permits.

Comment

awsome project.ill be following

Comment

By chance do you know how deep you are planning on wanting to drill?
                  What size drill stem are you planning on using?
                  For several years I have been wanting to build a similar well drilling rig.

Comment

I will be watching. My FIL is building one also. Helps him out owning his own machine shop. cant wait to see yours working.

Comment

Originally posted by F250DSLPWR View Post
                      By chance do you know how deep you are planning on wanting to drill?
                      What size drill stem are you planning on using?
                      For several years I have been wanting to build a similar well drilling rig.
                      we would like to hit 350' but not sure if we are going to be able to get down that deep. we think our weak link is going to be the water swivel. we're not sure if we are going to get enough water flow to bring the cutting up. we're just going to start drilling and see what happened.

we are still looking for drill stem. we are looking for something from 1 1/2"-2 3/8" the hard part is finding it in 10' section with the heavy drill stem threads. originally we were just going to use regular 1 1/2 sch 40 pipe with npt thread but after more research on the net they said that the npt threads don't hold up and will strip out....

Comment

Originally posted by deercrazy View Post
                        I will be watching. My FIL is building one also. Helps him out owning his own machine shop. cant wait to see yours working.
                        is he going to make his water swivel? we might need a biger swivel.

Comment

What do you use for casing, and screen. My well was drilled 5 inch wide to accomodate 4 inch pvc casing. On the bottom of the casing was a sand screen. This is the only way I know how to set up a well. How is yours going to be set up. We are only 60 foot to water though. I have thought about buying a drill for myself.
                          IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

These guys make a good swivel. http://www.hydra-jett.com

Comment

very cool

Comment

Better than a shovel.

Comment

Working...
                              X