Low Fence Coleman County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low Fence Coleman County

First year with my very own place! I was pretty concerned that I might be culling for next couple years - my place hasn’t been hunted for decades but according to the neighbors we have a guy that “when he’s not in the pen, shoots everything that walks and has his buddies out to do the same”. Luckily I hear he went back to the Pen 6 months ago! Check out the G1 on that young fella in pic 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CONGRATS!! Nothing like your own place!!! Good Luck & it looks like you have a nice bunch of up & comers!
    What part of the county are you in?

Comment

Low Fence Coleman County

Near Rockwood. I got a bunch of young ‘uns but just happy to see my very own deer. I am fine with a 120 class buck every year or two. [emoji4]

Comment

Good Deal! Nice looking place! Enjoy it! I know you will!!

Comment

Nice! Love Coleman County. Getting cams up and running this weekend!!

Comment

Originally posted by DSMCasey View Post
            Near Rockwood. I got a bunch of young ‘uns but just happy to see my very own deer. I am fine with a 120 class buck every year or two. [emoji4]

With letting them age up you will get much better than that.

My family is from Trickham. Hunted a lot of land around there. Seen deer up to 150, and that was 0 management just not shooting young deer. I've always said if I had the money to do things RIGHT you could have MONSTERS every year from that area

Comment

That is very encouraging! I am only on 100 acres and the neighbors have all agreed to an 8pt or better rule which is a good start. No one feeds protein though which is a big push from me. Other downside is there are a lot of high fence places in the area which hurts the deer numbers pretty bad where I am at. Positive thing though is there are ZERO hogs. Not a single one in decades. Can’t explain it as there are tons all over coleman but none at my ranch or any neighbors.

Comment

Looking good. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMCasey View Post
                  That is very encouraging! I am only on 100 acres and the neighbors have all agreed to an 8pt or better rule which is a good start. No one feeds protein though which is a big push from me. Other downside is there are a lot of high fence places in the area which hurts the deer numbers pretty bad where I am at. Positive thing though is there are ZERO hogs. Not a single one in decades. Can’t explain it as there are tons all over coleman but none at my ranch or any neighbors.

Don’t ruin it! We’re around the Valera area on 67 and didn’t have hugs for YEARS. They showed up in 2016 and haven’t left since. We see them every weekend!

Comment

Hunted just southwest of there around Doole, lots of winter wheat fields in the area. Years with rain at the right time and there are some nice deer there. A 130-140" deer was not uncommon if you put the time in. If you get one on cam the best time to get him was last week of bow season, around the 3rd and 4th week of November they would rut hard and new deer would show up then in December they head to the nearest green wheat field.

Comment

Also it was like we had 2 completely different deer species as in typical full grown 120 pound hill country deer and a northern variety that may weigh180 pounds. It was night and day body sizes but aging them on the hoof was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                        Also it was like we had 2 completely different deer species as in typical full grown 120 pound hill country deer and a northern variety that may weigh180 pounds. It was night and day body sizes but aging them on the hoof was the same.
                        Same experience in Lohn

Comment

We are down county road 222 by Whon, just passed Rockwood. I trap around 15 hogs a year during deer season...

Comment

I get to Coleman County regularly. Great dove hunts and quail can be great to if weather cooperates. Have never seen a hog on his ranch.

Comment

Looks like your off to good start. Good luck on the up coming season.

Comment

Working...
                              X