Gear Review: Danner High Ground Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Review: Danner High Ground Boots

I rarely make a good purchase. I'm that guy that buys something spur of the moment and then regrets it later. But this time I hit one out of the park. We got lucky with a last minute elk hunt and I had just a few days to prepare. The only hunting boots I have are snake boots and they weren't going to cut it for walking several miles a day up and down hills in New Mexico.

I went to the nearest store (Gander Mountain) on my lunch break at work. I tried on several boots (Danners, Under Armour, LaCrosse). As soon as I tried on the Danner high ground I felt like I had the right boot. I have some feet problems (plantar faciitis, flat feet, etc.). But they felt good. I got a size 11 (my usual boot size) and took them home.

I walked about a mile in them around the neighborhood...so far so good. Then I took off jogging about a 1/2 mile. Still felt good.

I didn't get to wear them again until the hunt. On some days we walked 5+ miles.....a lot of it in wet grass. A lot of loose rocks, ledges, up and down hills, cactus/thorns, etc. No problems! I never lost my footing or slid/slipped. The goretex Danners kept the wet out and kept my feet dry. Other guys were complaining about their wet socks but mine were good to go.

The boots just felt good. I felt like I could walk all day. My calves and thighs were a little tight each morning....but my feet NEVER hurt. And that was a first for me.

They look good, feel good, not too heavy, and I never got a blister, hot spot, friction, nothing.

I highly recommend these boots for hunting...especially if you're going to be walking a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 9.54.00 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	25067328

DETAILS

100% waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX® liner is engineered to keep your feet dry and comfortable

Realtree® Xtra Green® camo is designed with three distinct layers of color and pattern for maximum effectiveness.

Durable oiled-nubuc leather upper plus breathable 900 Denier nylon for excellent durability and abrasion resistance

Cushioning antimicrobial polyurethane footbed

EVA midsole provides added cushioning

Lock and load lacing system - ghillies across the forefoot for secure fit, and locking speed hooks for quick, easy lacing

Danner Talon™ outsole provides extremely lightweight athletic performance in rugged conditions.

Nylon shank

8" height

46 oz
    Last edited by Chew; 09-17-2015, 09:53 PM.

I love when gear works like it should. How much were they?

Comment

I think they were $149

Comment

I wear Danner Pronghorns when I do a lot of walking following my hounds.

Comfortable, tough boots.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Thanks for the real world info

Comment

I have been looking at those very boots for a while now and you just sold me on them. I read a similar article in Bowhunter last year about these boots but you just did it for me. Thanks and Happy Hunting this year.

Comment

Great to hear that. You never know if magazine reviews are biased or not.

Comment

Those are what my buddy had elk hunting. Loved them. I looking for a mid high tennis shoe type and I think under armor just came out with one

Comment

Good boots

Comment

I ordered these yesterday. I'm glad to hear your feet were dry, a few of the cabelas reviews had guys complaining of wet feet

Comment

I guess some brands just fit certain people better than other brands - just a matter of finding the one for you. For me it is Danner. I have a pair of Promghorns, Jackals and the Sharptail snakeboots I don't think they make anymore. I have never had sore feet after wearing any of them

Comment

I got these boots after ready this review. I got them on sale at Cabelas and wore them right out of the box on a 4 day scouting trip. Lots of walking through very damp grass. I was very pleased with these boots. Thanks for posting

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertx View Post
                            I got these boots after ready this review. I got them on sale at Cabelas and wore them right out of the box on a 4 day scouting trip. Lots of walking through very damp grass. I was very pleased with these boots. Thanks for posting

Great to hear!

Comment

Had the same exact pair....leaked walking through wet grass. They were comfortable though!

Comment

Working...
                              X