Plywood Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backyard smoker - it works!

Guys I made one real similar to this one about a year ago... it's odd seeing another build so close to your own (i had never seen the link above until today). I tried several heating sources but settled on the propane as well. I use an old cast iron skillet with a pie tin for a lid, keep the fire on as low as possible, smoke at about 125-135 deg. for 4-6 hrs for regular smokes links depending on what level of cooking you are taking them. My method is somewhere between the "cold smoke" and fully cooked "hot smoke" methods. I will go to 150 and up for snack sticks that are fully cooked and ready to eat. Enjoy the pics and try it yourself... not difficult at all.
    Attached Files

Comment

In order for me to give an educated opinion on these constructions I'm gonna need you to send me a bunch of samples. You know, for taste testing and such. =)

Looks like a solid system. The plywood contains the smoke and should never get hot enough to be concerned over it igniting.

I saw on some show this weekend where a guy had made a temporary smoker out of a cardboard box.

Comment

great job on the smoker and those links look yummy

Comment

Nice job Ryan - bring samples to Tulsa this weekend.

Comment

Food looks good tfc.
            Mike stop by, ill have some jerky I made with a new recipe. I made it in the dehydrator though because my regulator didn't make it in time.
            Last edited by doublearrow; 11-10-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

The pine plywood don't make for a nasty flavor? Curious about that cause you know you wouldn't use pine to burn in a pit.

Comment

I have a friend that has one made out of sheet metal on the sides and roof. For the door, he used an old solid glass type screen door. This way he says he can watch his meat as he cooks. He just lays a piece of steel on the ground and builds his fire on top of that.

Comment

cool project...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
                    The pine plywood don't make for a nasty flavor? Curious about that cause you know you wouldn't use pine to burn in a pit.
                    I seasoned it today with mesquite. I think the wood right on the burner the smoking wood gets hot enough to burn, but thats it. The plywood never gets hot enough to smoke to impart any bad flavor. It doesn't have any plywood smell now, strong smell of mesquite.

Comment

How does this have air circulation? I heard a big part of making jerky is having good air circulation moving through the smoker? Just a curious question

Comment

The vent down at the burner level let's fresh air in, the vent at the top acts as a chimeny causing a constant draft through the smoker. You can play with the vents getting it to draft as much or as little as you want.
                        I put some mesquite in friday and ran it up pretty hot kind of trying to season the smoker. Hopefully I will get some meat going this week.

Comment

I have a smoker like your and it works great good job

Comment

Great idea!

May have to dive in on one of these bad bous!

Comment

I need to try one of these!

Comment

Working...
                              X