San Angelo White Eyes..end of tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
    You always lose a few. Problem is, these are not deer that are disappearing after the season or rut when they're run down. They are "here today and gone tomorrow deer". I only get concerned about the home deer. Those that are regular as rain. White Eyes was at one of our feeders every day. He was in peak condition from what you can see. Odds of another one of our deer killing him is not great. Also, almost every carcass that we find is within 100 yards of a road. I found three this past weekend while shed hunting. White Eyes was about 30 yards off a road, a young 7 was about 50 yards off a road. The only other carcass that I found was one I knew that I shot last year. He was a sick deer with a green, oozing abscess that we called Pus Pocket. It was a mercy killing and I knew the area where he died. Two years ago, we found 8 buck carcasses within 100 yards of our road on the south near the Feed Lot. If they were scattered about the lease, I'd say most were natural mortality. The proximity to the roads of the majority of the carcasses indicates something else. I also don't comment on the deer that are border deer that disappear. I could run a pretty good thread of those deer that disappear, but that's just part of a low fence property. You lose those deer. It's the internal deer that chap my hide. Freak was probably a border loss. White Eyes was internal. Pretty Boy was definately internal. Lucky was definately internal. I lost a camera at his pen during that time. I figure once again that he was shot around my pen and they had to take or disable the camera to remain anonymous. We have so many cameras on the place that eventually they'll get caught.
    Man.....that's hard to swallow John..........I had no idea yall lost those kind of numbers internally. I hear ya on the home body deer coming up missing as well.......that's for sure a problem I don't want. For what its worth I still think you have done a great job with the deer in the area. I'm still working on ours and yet to kill a deer above 140 class but seen deer in the 150 class "always not in deer season" lol ........letting a boat load of deer walk and feeding year round I hope to change that.

Comment

Sorry to hear, Doc.

Great Read. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I HATE poachers! Sounds like you have a heck of a problem with all the dead deer you are finding near your roads. On a positive note, at least the poachers arent stealing your trailcameras....that would add insult to injury!

Comment

OK, here are the pics of BC10 the year he disappeared.

He holds his head at a severe upright position like the Freak. He's gray like the Freak. Sweeper is a brownish colored deer. He has the black "Y" like the Freak. Sweeper has a more monotone face. When I look at BC10, I see the Freak in the face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	23878112

Name:	BC10 rt.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	23878113

Name:	BC10 left.JPG
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	23878114

Name:	BC10 hdon.JPG
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	23878115

Name:	BC10 hd dwn.JPG
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	23878116

Name:	BC10 gd pic.JPG
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	23878117

Name:	BC10 away.JPG
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	23878118

Comment

They've gotten 4 cameras and 4 more cards.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
              Probably thrown in there by some Mathews shooter. LOL
              All right now let's keep it civil, I resemble that remark!!
              You guys sure keep good records wish my guys could.

Comment

Cool thread. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

The tooth wear and replacement method so many of us use in aging deer was developed in northern New York, by my understanding.

Comment

That's a shame. I hope you catch the guys doing this.

Comment

that just chaps me!!!

I think you should use this website in a way so that they know you are going to the lease and then show up a day early.

Heck, maybe drop several people off out there to spend the night with night vision and radios. Have a way to block them in on the road.

This pi$$es me off. People have no respect.

Comment

what a great (yet sad) thread

thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X