Ar or mini 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ar or mini 30

I'm probably the only one on the planet without one but the hogs have returned in full force so I'm in need. How weather resistant is a "standard" ar? I'd like something that can ride with me in a gator but be able to take the occasional rain shower without turning to a bunch of rust. It will get wiped down regularly but will spend a large amount of its life outdoors. I am looking also at the stainless/synthetic mini 30.

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated. Pete

The AR is a very resilient and reliable weapon. After a nasty dust storm/ rain shower, air blow it out and wipe it dwn with C.L.P. done. youre welcome
    Last edited by talleywack97; 03-18-2018, 05:23 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

Most of an AR is aluminum. As stated above, dry it out and wipe it down. Get a stainless barrel and your even better off.

Comment

Ar or mini 30

IMO an AR in 7.62x39 with a stainless barrel is the way to go. Cheap ammo and plenty of power for the hogs.

And like stated above. Easy to care for. Wipe off and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks folks, that's what I was wondering. How much of an ar is steel. If it's not much I'll probably go that route since you can change things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
            Thanks folks, that's what I was wondering. How much of an ar is steel. If it's not much I'll probably go that route since you can change things up.
            With a stainless barrel. Trigger components, BCG, springs and gas block.....maybe.

But they are all coated and covered so the weather does not get to them, other than the gas block which is coated and the BCG which is also coated.

Comment

AR all the way, in 300 Blackout. The mini Rugers 14/30 have never been known for accuracy, but they are minute of hog killers. Think about this regarding the AR design. It is good enough for our soldiers to take to battle every day and win with. Plus there are so many do dads that you can add. Lego for men is what the modern sporting rifle has been called.
              Parts up the wazoo being made by everyone and their mom.
              PLUS
              I have a stainless Ruger Mini 14, for over 30 years and in my experience stainless galls.
              Mushrooms like a chisel that has been beat good. Stainless semi autos are susceptible to this. Hardened steel the way to go.

Comment

Ar

Comment

A smart aleck part of me ask if this is a legitimate question? But of course it is. Hands down, the AR platform is what you want. It is the absolute most versatile platform on the planet. The Mini-14 simply does not compare in any category and I mean that. The mini 14 does not compare to the AR platform in any category.

Edited: the mini 14 does throw projectiles out of the muzzle in a somewhat reliable fashion. Even if you don't know exactly where they're going to go and end up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by SC-Texas; 03-18-2018, 01:18 PM.

Comment

AR all the way

Comment

A mini used to cost less than most decent AR's. They have a reputation for reliability but also for sub par accuracy. Now that everyone seems to make ARs, prices have dropped and the platform is so much more versatile that, IMO a mini just doesn't really make sense unless you just want one. A .223/5.56 is going to give you more options, but 7.62x39 is a great hog caliber as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                        A mini used to cost less than most decent AR's. They have a reputation for reliability but also for sub par accuracy. Now that everyone seems to make ARs, prices have dropped and the platform is so much more versatile that, IMO a mini just doesn't really make sense unless you just want one. A .223/5.56 is going to give you more options, but 7.62x39 is a great hog caliber as well.
                        Is very hard to attach Optics to a Mini-14. Especially if you were going to switch between day nights and night or thermal sites.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a cheap Bushmaster AR carbine, in 5.56, that has been the best ranch rifle ever. That thing has been beaten around, rain, mud, many hundred miles on a 4 wheeler, carried it in the truck a good bit. It has always been dead on and never gave me any problems, except when I have tried to quietly chamber rounds, by not letting the bolt drop. I have done that a couple of times and somehow wound up picking up one round out of the mag, then picked up a second round. Because I was looking at a coyote, to make sure it did not disappear and was not paying attention to how far back I was pulling the bolt. When I just pull the charge handle and let it drop, it chambers fine. Because of the not being able to quietly chamber a round easily, I have since bought to side charge AR uppers. With those I can quietly chamber a round.

I know I have slipped and few while carrying my Bushmaster at least twice, when I was sure, the gun had to be knocked off sight, it was not, still dead on. As for ammo, it took some work to find what it liked, but once I figured out what it likes, that is all I shoot out of the gun.

If you are buying a AR specifically for hogs, I would probably look at one in a 6.5 Grendel. The 5.56 chambering or a 223 Wylde will work but best to stick with head shots. If you want a 5.56 or 223 AR, I would look for one with a 223 Wylde barrel, it will be more accurate, with common ammo.

If you get a AR, there are so many options for accessories, ect. My little 5.56 carbine, I have set up, with a short rail on the left side of the hand guard. I have a 750 lumen light I mount on that rail, it is very easy to push the button for the light, with my left thumb. With the scope I have on that gun, plus that light, I can easily see clearly out to 200 yards, probably closer to 300 yards. I used it for coyotes around the house all the time. I wish I had the money to afford a nice night vision scope, but my light and scope work very well and are much cheaper.

Comment

Id build an AR in 300 blackout

Comment

Ar. You're really over exaggerating the abuse you think you're putting the gun through

Comment

Working...
                              X