Eye dominance and corrective lenses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye dominance and corrective lenses?

My son turned 2 and got a 243 for his birthday. Score! But it's right handed and he's having some trouble with his right eye.

A week after his birthday he had his 2 year old check up, and the pediatrician suggested we see an eye doctor. It was news to us, but he is far sighted and had to get glasses.

The good news is that he is wearing his glasses and adjusting like a champ. What I'm curious about is his eye dominance when I start teaching him to shoot. His left eye is perfect...his right eye is a +2.25. I suspect he'll be right handed like the rest of us.

Should I reach him to shoot left or right handed? Or will he be able to inherently know the difference and help me help him?
    Last edited by TxAg; 08-04-2018, 07:26 PM.

Id say let him decide. Whatever comes natural to him.

Comment

bump

Comment

If he learns to shoot right handed he will have more gun and bow options his entire life. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Try both ways and see what he likes best. One way will be more natural to him in the end. I can shoot a rifle both ways, I’m left handed, but learned both over the years. Left handed feels more natural.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
            If he learns to shoot right handed he will have more gun and bow options his entire life. Just my thoughts.
            This. With bows I find it not to be as bad. I still don’t own a left handed gun due to the extra cost.

Comment

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I would teach him to shoot guns and bows on his dominant eye side.

Comment

You should do an eye dominance test and see if he is still left eye dominant. Eye dominance has a lot to do with the brain's connection to the eyes so it may not change even though his vision has been corrected. Shooting that requires both eyes open like archery and shotguns is difficult if you are not aiming with the dominant eye.

Comment

Left handed fishing reels are cheaper lol

That said, i would see if you can do some of the eye dommanace tests with him, see what comes to him naturally

That said im cross dominant, left eye but right handed. Ive been told i woukd shoot more comfortablely if i had learned to shoot lefty
                  Last edited by catslayer; 08-05-2018, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Can't address the eye dominance issue but I have worn glasses since 6 yrs. old. With corrective lenses your son should see 20-20 (both eyes equal). I am able to shoot my bow or guns right or left as far as vision is concerned but I'm right handed so that is more comfortable.
                      One other thing that I found out is whether using a scope or binoculars, I don't have to wear my glasses as they act as vision correction.
                      Give him some time and watch to see the results. He will do his best however he is most comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                      X