Reloading bench dilemma, need some ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading bench dilemma, need some ideas

I have about 12' of usable workbench in my shop. Problem is I have 5 reloading presses, plus a casting station that are all used regularly. Currently they are all bolted to the bench with not near enough room left on the left to do anything else like gun work. I'm trying to brainstorm a mounting option where the presses are "mobile" for lack of a better term. Basically store them all down on the end of the bench tight to one another, and move the one I'm using at the time to the main work area. I'm thinking mount each press on 12" square of 3/4" plywood, then having studs sticking out of the bench in all the appropriate places. Simple wingnuts and washers to hold the plywood bases to the studs and bench.

Any other ideas out there?

Plate steel so they do not tear up as bad over time?

Comment

Install a receiver to your bench then mount each press or tool to a hitch. Swap them out as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So a Google of "modular reloading bench" gave me the idea of using the T channel. I think that will be the best route. Similar to this:

Comment

Here is the one I want to build when I finally get my lil piece of heaven.

T Track mounted. And Room. You already have the room...

One thing you might consider is only have 2 stations of Track going across the bench so that you can easily slide your presses onto the station. Keeping them mounted to a good 3/4 Plywood base would let you normalize the dimensions. Then you could also do the same T Track basic set up on a reinforced shelf for storing the presses you are not immediately using.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            Install a receiver to your bench then mount each press or tool to a hitch. Swap them out as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Thatsa great idea...Just find ones that fit snug and don't wiggle...Even buy your own stock and make your own

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post

One thing you might consider is only have 2 stations of Track going across the bench so that you can easily slide your presses onto the station. Keeping them mounted to a good 3/4 Plywood base would let you normalize the dimensions. Then you could also do the same T Track basic set up on a reinforced shelf for storing the presses you are not immediately using.
              That was one of the ones I was looking at. I will also top the bench with 1/4" whiteboard. Gives me a bright clean surface to find small parts on, and a scratch pad when reloading. When it gets tore up eventually, just replace the top piece.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                Thatsa great idea...Just find ones that fit snug and don't wiggle...Even buy your own stock and make your own
                This is what I did. I also put a piece of 10 ga underneath my 1 3/4" hardwood butcher block top. I bolted it to my stands - no flex and I bolted my press and my vice directly to the wood/steel. Using oversized washers and oversized bolt holes I keep my bolts in tension and don't have to worry about cracking my wood top.

They also make some nifty fastners for t-track (oversized knobs that make it easy to hand tighten by hand so you don't have to search for wrenches.)

Comment

Inline Fabrication.

Get a ultra mount, and plates to swap presses out in seconds.

It's super strong, and puts the press at a more useful height.

It is a bit of an investment, but rock solid construction and great customer service. I have several of their press enhancements, and have been happy with each and every one.

Comment

I have each press mounted on a 12"X12" piece of 3/4 plywood with holes to mount it to the bench. Matching captive nuts in the bench. Solid enough to reload 50BMG so pretty solid. 4 bolts hold it in place so easy change out.

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post

That is awesome

Comment

Working...
                      X