Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
Berretta Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bell Co. Where ever invited
Default 22-250

I have been wanting a 22-250 for awhile and never owned one. Been interest in the Ruger American rifles also. I finally found that combination so I I bought it. Fixing to put a 3x9 luepold on it that I have what bullets does everyone think will pattern best? I want to. E able to shoot deer if I choose. Thanks in advance
Berretta Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I'd try 55gr. Sofpoints first. Wouldn't really shoot any of the v-max stuff at a deer.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

I killed several with the Nosler BT. I kept all shots under 125-yards, just the way my set-up was at the time, and out of the 7 I shot behind the shoulder, none went further than 30-yards. It was like pouring jello when field dressing.
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
breadman
Eight Point

softpoints for sure , shot placement is a must if you want to take a deer humainly with 22-250 or 223 . not my goto caliber for deer but have killed a few with a 223. neck shots worked well for me . that bullet is so fast !! shooting threw the rib cage they wont even know there shot , and most cases run dang near to the next county before falling dead .
breadman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
Lawhorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: S.Texas

I love federal offering tipped with a sierra game king. I've gotten plenty of pass throughs with this round. Lots of dead deer. Stay away from big bones. Double lung them and they'll be dead within 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman View Post
softpoints for sure , shot placement is a must if you want to take a deer humainly with 22-250 or 223 . not my goto caliber for deer but have killed a few with a 223. neck shots worked well for me . that bullet is so fast !! shooting threw the rib cage they wont even know there shot , and most cases run dang near to the next county before falling dead .
Durn, those deer I shot there must have been those that gave up the ghost upon hearing the shot
Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

I'm looking for that exact same rifle, but used. With the 1 in 10 barrel twist, I'd try 60 gr Nosler Partitions, 64 gr Winchester Power Points or Nosler 64 gr Bonded Solid base.
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Everyone should own a 22-250. I have killed more deer with that rifle than all my other rifles combined. I use a Sierra 55 gr HPBT and it is like C4 explosives. For body shots, I would recommend 55 gr soft points. Mine likes the Remington Cor-Loks. I seldom take body shots with any rifle but I have killed deer at 340 yards with my HPBT load. As others have stated, a body shot turns the organs to goo. It is a vicious round and is under rated by many people. You will love it!!
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Old Mathews
Six Point

Hunt In: DeWitt county & Anywhere I can

Great gun. Killed a lot of deer with mine using Remington core lokt 55 gr soft point. No problem
Old Mathews is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

My favorite for deer is the Winchester 64 grain power point.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #11
kc5rkg
Six Point

Hunt In: South TX

I've been shooting the Barnes Vor-tx in my Tikka 22-250 and it shoots great. I have not taken a deer with it yet, but have shot a few hogs and the 50 grain TSX performed very well.
kc5rkg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Yelladog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman View Post

This always comes up. Shoot good ammo and you can shoot them anywhere you would shoot them with any other caliber or bow. That's like me saying on a bow hunting forum shot placement is key. Duh
Op stick with 55/60grn soft points or I prefer the fed premium nosler partitions. Never shot them in the neck and they have always dropped sure didn't run a mile.

Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #13
the-butcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: cushing,tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelladog View Post
This always comes up. Shoot good ammo and you can shoot them anywhere you would shoot them with any other caliber or bow. That's like me saying on a bow hunting forum shot placement is key. Duh
Op stick with 55/60grn soft points or I prefer the fed premium nosler partitions. Never shot them in the neck and they have always dropped sure didn't run a mile.

Yep. A good bullet that will stay together and shoot em good = dead deer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
the-butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
Four Point

If you handload try the Hornady 60 gr HP's, crazy accurate and a deer killer. I have been using my 22-250 with these bullets for 40 years now on WT/Axis/Audad/Pigs, and always one shot no tracking. I am using them in my AR 223W and my AR 22-250 with great results. 34 gr 4064
257 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

22-250 is about the funnest gun ever to shoot. My favorite P-dog gun.
A 36gr Barnes pill will absolutely vaporize the biggest prairie dog.
Watch this https://youtu.be/P4jQsaqBGOY
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #16
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

The Federal Blue box in 55 gr are great for deer, they make a bigger hole then Remington PSP. No need to buy expensive ammo. Trust me I know from experience.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #17
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Stay away from the ballistic tips, they'll kill deer, but you have to take shots like your bow hunting and avoid the shoulder, usually won't get an exit.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
22-250 is about the funnest gun ever to shoot. My favorite P-dog gun.
A 36gr Barnes pill will absolutely vaporize the biggest prairie dog.
Watch this https://youtu.be/P4jQsaqBGOY
They will splatter a prairie dog. I wasn't impressed with their performance on coyotes though. My uncle loaded some up once. I really like Hornady 52gr. BTHP's for coyotes.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #19
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Erath County and Davis County Iowa

Two most accurate .22-250 that I have had are both relatively inexpensive rifles. Remington 788 and Savage Axis.

Maybe not the best choice, but I always loaded Sierra 55 grain boat tail hollow point, 37grs. IMR 4895. This load runs at about 3700 fps. This load has always had explosive results on deer. Neck shot or behind the shoulder..... It will liquefy the lungs.

A rancher and elk guide from Montana was telling me about his .338 Lapua. I asked him if the Lapua was his all time favorite elk rifle. He said "Nope. I have killed more elk with a .22-250 that any other rifle. Shoot them in the head. They don't run off and you don't ruin any meat".
Arrowsmith is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #20
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Pick a decent soft point or solid copper like the Barnes and let er rip. Every animal I have shot with the 53 grain Barnes drop like hit by lighting. I don't take head/neck shots, all either high shoulder or behind the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
coop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Pardon my ignorance but how does the 223 stack up against the 22-250?
coop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #22
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
Slower

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #23
coop
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Slower

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Is that about the only difference?

I have a couple 223s that are extremely accurate and do an excellent job on hogs shot in the head. Would I notice much difference with the 22-250?

I guess what I'm asking is, is the 22-250 that much better round?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #24
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is that about the only difference?

I have a couple 223s that are extremely accurate and do an excellent job on hogs shot in the head. Would I notice much difference with the 22-250?

I guess what I'm asking is, is the 22-250 that much better round?
It'll basically do at 400 yards what a .223 will do at 200 yards. It shoots noticeably flatter. I have and really like both calibers but for a varmint gun the 22-250 is hard to beat in my opinion. It also depends on what you're looking for in a predator/varmint gun. The .223 is noticeably easier on the fur if you skin your coyotes and stuff
Old 09-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #25
Jibby
Four Point

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs and Drawn hunts

I have a BLR 81 in 22-250. I've killed probably a dozen deer with it. Only one didn't drop in its tracks and that was a high lung shot. I feel pretty confident with it on shots 100 yards and in. I've used hornady 55 grain and federal 60 grain partition. On the range, the 55 grain gave me better groups, but not that big of a difference. I would probably think twice on a shot more than 200 yards.
Jibby is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #26
Mr. Stickers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brackettville Tx.

I've lost count of how many deer I've killed with the lil 22-250......55gr Sierra game kings & winchester silver tips none have gone more then 25 or 30 steps, with 95% dropping right there like a bolt of lightning hit them....the ones that were not DRT were shot in the pocket behind shoulder, the rest were head & neck shots.....it will make a nasty mess of things in a hurry
Mr. Stickers is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
longhorn_cop
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tx panhandle, Mex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5rkg View Post
I've been shooting the Barnes Vor-tx in my Tikka 22-250 and it shoots great. I have not taken a deer with it yet, but have shot a few hogs and the 50 grain TSX performed very well.

Have shot tons of javis, yotes, deer and a few pigs in mexico with this load. Great round

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
longhorn_cop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #28
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Quote:

The 22-250 is inherently accurate. I've never heard anyone say, "I couldn't make this P.O.S. shoot accurately." If it were ever uttered, that individual cannot shoot well.

The 223 is getting velocities from 2900-3200 or so. My 22-250 is shooting a 55 gr HPBT at 3813 FPS. The difference in trajectory is substantial.

When I killed that doe at 340 yards, I removed the opposite shoulder and leg with no knife. Just twisted it off. She ran two strides and front flipped into a cedar. It is a vicious sum buck.
Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #29
coop
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
It'll basically do at 400 yards what a .223 will do at 200 yards. It shoots noticeably flatter. I have and really like both calibers but for a varmint gun the 22-250 is hard to beat in my opinion. It also depends on what you're looking for in a predator/varmint gun. The .223 is noticeably easier on the fur if you skin your coyotes and stuff
Thank you for the information. That's exactly what I was wanting to know.

JC
Old 09-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #30
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

My son has a Ruger American stainless compact 22-250 i load the 64 gr. Nosler Bonded Performance bullets for it. Holds about a 3/4" 5 shot group.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #31
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

22-250 is in my opinion one of the best WT killing rounds there is.

I shoot a sierra game king HP and it works great on deer and pigs.
dclifton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #32
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Shot my first few deer with a 22-250 and 55 gr Remington Hollow points, it definitely makes jello out of the insides

Shot a big pig a few months ago with a ruger American and 55 gr Winchester ballistic tips, shot him behind the shoulder. Ran about 75 yards bleeding the whole way

55 gr psp does alright, not as explosive. I'd like to try a Barnes and see how they do
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #33
Tejas Wildlife
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever I happen to be!

22-250 is my favorite round. Longest shots on prairie dogs with it was 513 & 520 yards. Now I am not that good of a shot but had a fantastic spotter telling me how much to hold over and to which side. Just a red mist in the air when the bullet hit them.

NOTHING is more fun than watching a coyote fall over on it's back when you hit it with a 22-250! You will literally laugh out loud when you see it happen. Everyone is right about the "jello effect" on the animal tissue at the impact site.

ENJOY!!
Tejas Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #34
IvoryRoot
Six Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

I use mine for shooting does and spikes. They don't usually run when half of their head is missing.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #35
44mAG
Ten Point

I have killed a few deer and my mother has killed every deer she has ever shot with good ole 55 grain Remington core loks out of a 22-250. All behind the shoulder shots.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 AM   #36
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
22-250 is my favorite round. Longest shots on prairie dogs with it was 513 & 520 yards. Now I am not that good of a shot but had a fantastic spotter telling me how much to hold over and to which side. Just a red mist in the air when the bullet hit them.

NOTHING is more fun than watching a coyote fall over on it's back when you hit it with a 22-250! You will literally laugh out loud when you see it happen. Everyone is right about the "jello effect" on the animal tissue at the impact site.

ENJOY!!
It is a fun round to shoot. I won a Savage Axis 2 in a coyote hunt last Winter. Best $60 I've ever spent.

On one hunt we called up a yote and my buddy never saw it. I wanted him to shoot it but by the time he saw the dang thing she was heading the opposite way a little over 300 yards out and all I could see was the coyotes neck and head. It stopped to take one last look and I took my rifle off safe. My buddy said "Don't shoot. You ain't gonna hit that." The crosshairs were already settled on her forehead and it wasn't long and we could hear the "WHOP!" It's almost not fair it's so easy to kill stuff with that rifle. I didn't see the bullet hit but it was real still out that day so I for sure heard it hit.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #37
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Do a youtube search on the stock. Ruger says that it is a free floating barrel but on most the stock is touching the barrel at the front of the stock. Not a big deal, it took me about 10 mins to take care of with a dremel. When I took mine to the range I would have one rouge bullet about 66% of the time on a 5 group shot on my 204. I would have attributed this to my ability to pull the trigger well but after I worked my stock I don't have the problem any more. You will also find some negative stuff about the clip but they have taken care of this issue.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #38
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

60 grain partition. Put the bullet where it needs to go, and know your limits.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top