Camp food ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp food ideas

I'm headed to Colorado in a few weeks and will be preparing one meal for camp. Plan is to cook it at home and freeze it, then thaw and eat on whichever night we decide.

I'm thinking some type of stew. Y'all have any suggestions?

we did something similar on a mule deer hunt in Utah some years ago. each person made a large "one dish meal" in a disposable aluminum pan and froze it. This was our dinner each night, so we did not have to spend time cooking. I don't remember each one, but I do remember stew, enchiladas, lasagna, chicken and rice, things like that. We took snacks and lunch meat to eat during the day. It worked out really good. Im sure you will get lots of good ideas here

Comment

I will be doing the same thing next week. I am thinking a big batch of crawfish etouffee with the rice already mixed in would work great. Just vacuum seal a big bag of it and freeze then dump it in the Dutch oven one evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A big pot of stew with biscuits is always my go to.

Comment

our favorite meal was 7 bean soup with ground meat of your choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

Taco Soup!

Comment

Big hunk of leg of lamb, cubed up and browned (leave on ALL the fat! AMAZING flavor!). Throw in diced onion and cook until turning clear. Pour in a beer (I usually use shiner or fosters) to deglaze the pan. Baby carrots and diced potatoes and chicken broth to cover everything. Cook until potatoes are soft, then I usually hit it with a little corn starch slurry to thicken the juice (I almost like it gravy consistency). Salt and pepper, and serve with baguettes. It's fantastic after being frozen, too. Your friends will wonder when you turned into a gourmet.

Comment

Ribs

Comment

I'm not familiar with hunting in the mountains but I do know you'll need to eat some protein and carbs for energy. I'd go with pasta, lasagna, Meatloaf/mashed potatoes, beef stroganoff(rice or noodles). These will freeze well and should stick to your ribs.

Comment

I always cook all of my meals before hand, and vacuum seal them. Fill the turkey frying pot full of water and boil the bags. We take all kinds of stuff. Chili, soups, pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and other sides. Pretty much anything you want. Just grab a bag/bags of what you want and throw it in the pot to heat up.

When I spike camp, it Mountainhouse meals.

Comment

Hard to go wrong with a big batch of chili.

Comment

I just made a big pot of venison stew to take to deer camp this weekend!

Bisch

Comment

Camped this summer up there. We precooked venison chili, vacuumed seal it Then froze it. It stayed partially frozen for 5 days in a yeti. Easy clean up and frito corn chips to top it off.

Comment

Chicken and Sausage gumbo, with a side bag of rice.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                              Taco Soup!
                              Yep, or King Ranch chicken spaghetti.

Comment

Working...
                              X