Is this bow repairable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this bow repairable?

The only recurves (and string bows) I've ever owned are Red Wing Hunters. I have a 41# '68 that was my 1st bow a friend restored to like-new condition, and an early 70s 54# I gave to my son.

I have a 50# RWH in my garage that the lower limb glass is toast. It was hanging, unstrung when I first noticed it, and it's actually getting worse with time I noticed.

My questions are- is it possible and what would it cost to repair, or is it a gonner? Having shot RWHs since I was a kid, when I feel the handle on the riser, or a spit second I'm almost 50 years back in time. I could never throw it out, I'd rather make a lamp or something out of it.

No

Comment

That one is pretty much toast, Bill. Better just hang it up and keep it for sentiments sake.

Bisch

Comment

Nope

Comment

You confirmed my suspicion. I was looking at it today trying to figure out how I could cut and machine a groove in it and make it the grip on my compound. There's probably more important projects that I should think about.

Comment

Make a beer fridge handle out of it

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
              You confirmed my suspicion. I was looking at it today trying to figure out how I could cut and machine a groove in it and make it the grip on my compound. There's probably more important projects that I should think about.
              That is a pretty cool idea!

Comment

Cut it off at the shelf, drill a hole down into the grip area and glue the shaft of a sling shot into it. Make you a sling shot with the grip you love.

Comment

Cut the riser out of it and make a lamp out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    Cut it off at the shelf, drill a hole down into the grip area and glue the shaft of a sling shot into it. Make you a sling shot with the grip you love.
                    I like it!

Comment

How about making it into another bow? I put it back on a shelf in the garage and can't bring myself to throw it out. Maybe that's why my garage looks like it does!

When guys are building their own fiberglass bows, do I assume when the wood form is cut for the limbs to be shaped, that the form is only for a specific riser design? I wonder out loud on a rainy Sunday morning drinking my coffee how to make it into a new longbow for example?

Comment

Garden ornament. Sorry.
                        Arvin

Comment

There's got to be a way to attach to a beer stein. Let me think about it.

Comment

I actually had a dream last night where I took a broken bow, cut the limbs off, and modified it into a takedown. Someday I will try that in reality.

Comment

Working...
                            X