Heavy Arrow Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Arrow Education

Not my video but I've been saying this for years....

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Cool video, thanks for sharing...

Comment

I'm new to hog hunting and this was very eye opening.

Comment

Difference between a bulldozer going 5 mph and a Smart Car going 60 mph? I would always opt for the heavier arrow, even for deer.

Comment

I sure got an education with this video. I have always tried to shoot the pigs in the shoulder but did not realize the penetration was not very good with my deer setup. I sure going to use a bow set up for heavy arrows from now on. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Comment

yeah that is a very educational video, saw it already on the sight you got it from

Comment

That's an interesting video, no doubt. But think about the stats of those two setups...

1) 270fps, 400grains, 65 foot pounds of kinetic energy.
              2) 260fps, 700grains, 99 foot pounds of kinetic energy.

Obviously, to push an arrow weighing 75% more at essentially the same speed, bow #2 is set to a lot higher draw weight. That's why he calls it "the more powerful bow."

So really all the video proves is that a bow that produces more than 50% more kinetic energy penetrates better. A more powerful bow penetrates better than a weaker bow. That's not exactly surprising, is it?

If you want to isolate the effect of arrow weight, you have make everything else equal and just change that one factor.
              Last edited by Snakelover; 11-19-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

What arrow do you think he is using for his hog setup?

Comment

Eye opening, BUT, not scientific. He used a 3 blade head (cut on contact or no?) with a lighter arrow, and lighter draw weight (although he didn't say that, one can assume in this case) and got little penetration. Then he used a 2 blade, cut on contact head, with a heavy arrow, and heavier draw weight and got ALMOST a complete passthrough. A scientific test would have used the same bow, same broadhead, same everything, just a heavier arrow. Then same arrow, same head, different bow. Then same arrow, same bow, different head. To get a real test, he needs to keep all variables the same except one per test. All that test truly shows is that one complete setup is better for big hogs than the other, assuming that the hunter can handle the heavier draw weight and shoot it as well as the lighter bow. I could probaby shoot bow with 80-90-100 lbs draw weight, but I can guarantee that I'd be a better shot with my 60-70 lb bow.

Comment

700 grains at 29" I want to know what ARROW HE WAS SHOOTING.

Comment

I agree with Txfireguy. Thanks for sharing though; it was very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonebowyer View Post
                        I agree with Txfireguy. Thanks for sharing though; it was very interesting.

Comment

here ya go... Video two just what the doctor ordered...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                            Eye opening, BUT, not scientific. He used a 3 blade head (cut on contact or no?) with a lighter arrow, and lighter draw weight (although he didn't say that, one can assume in this case) and got little penetration. Then he used a 2 blade, cut on contact head, with a heavy arrow, and heavier draw weight and got ALMOST a complete passthrough. A scientific test would have used the same bow, same broadhead, same everything, just a heavier arrow. Then same arrow, same head, different bow. Then same arrow, same bow, different head. To get a real test, he needs to keep all variables the same except one per test. All that test truly shows is that one complete setup is better for big hogs than the other, assuming that the hunter can handle the heavier draw weight and shoot it as well as the lighter bow. I could probaby shoot bow with 80-90-100 lbs draw weight, but I can guarantee that I'd be a better shot with my 60-70 lb bow.
                            And a fresh hog for each shot... I figure no matter which arrow strikes first, it has to have weakened the bone and tissue somewhat, allowing the second arrow less resistance, hence greater penetration.

Comment

Nice bit of education. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X