Another Food Plot Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
    Okay several points to respond too. In regards to Anderson County, I am near Elkhart and Slocum.

The bachelor groups tend to always break up in Sept, but it's frustrating seeing 10 different bucks on camera, then I plant and then poof. I still see a few but not like before. I think that has to do more with the time of year than me. If I kill a buck off a food plot, I am thinking it could happen on Oct 3rd, not 31st. I will be hunting over scrapes and travel corridors then.

I will say that I typically run 3 corn feeders year around, and rarely saw bucks. I put in food plots and saw a ton. They do not like hanging around feeders.
    You are not too far north of me. I am NNW of Grapeland, a couple miles south of the Anderson County line. I agree with you about the corn feeders. I run them during October-December, but I think its more of a mental deal for me than for the deer. I have never seen a mature buck on camera or with my own eyes in the feed pen eating corn. However, my buddy that hunts around Lovelady has giants that eat under his feeder in the daylight. Every place and deer is different I guess.

Comment

Looks like I am probably the same distance away from 287 as you.

Well I this morning, I was thinking whether or not to run this one feeder. I think I will because when my kid brother comes down, it gives him a place to hunt, but the main reason I think the feeder is benefiting me, is that there is a major scrape line that runs just behind it. I think the bucks cruise by and smell for does that are feeding.

If I run the feeder, I will keep the scrapes active. I think I will hunt these scrapes during the peak days of the rut, and only then. I'll roll the dice on the food plots till then.

Comment

I haven't updated since Thanksgiving, but I haven't been out the lease much. I went March 1st, and didn't go back until this past weekend. That is almost 4 full months. A few camera's died (the cheap ones) and the nice ones lasted right on through.

For the food plots. I planted, Oats, Kale, Clover, and Chicory in September of last year. I sprayed the food plots for grass on March 1st. I am over the moon about my plots. Just a bit of weed and the ground is covered in clover. The deer have been able to munch on the clover all spring and summer, and it's still going. I think I am going to keep this strategy going. Plant once a year and be covered year around.

This fall I think I am going to plant, Clover (for next summer), Oats (for the winter), Peas (for the fall). I just don't have much luck with Chicory, so it's coming out, and the Kale grew great, but it didn't get consumed. I mowed down 4 foot high Kale stalks this weekend. And still had plenty of mature plants growing.

Okay, time to get on Tapatalk and post some pictures.
        What did you spray the grass with on March 1? Round-up?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          What did you spray the grass with on March 1? Round-up?
          I used a grass selective deal. I got it from Iron Gate Feed and Seed in Palestine. It kills grasses only. I'll try and remember to take a picture next time I am down there.

Comment

I used a grass selective deal. I got it from Iron Gate Feed and Seed in Palestine. It kills grasses only. I'll try and remember to take a picture next time I am down there.
            Sounds like clethodim, commonly called cleth

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
              Sounds like clethodim, commonly called cleth
              Sounds right.

Comment

Can't believe they let your kale get that tall. Its crazy how preference is different from region to region.

Remind me again....have you planted that plot in previous years? I remember my first year planting my place the deer wouldn't touch anything but oats. Now 6 years later I could plant just about anything in that plot and they will eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  Can't believe they let your kale get that tall. Its crazy how preference is different from region to region.

Remind me again....have you planted that plot in previous years? I remember my first year planting my place the deer wouldn't touch anything but oats. Now 6 years later I could plant just about anything in that plot and they will eat it.
                  Yeah, my thoughts were about the same, why they ate yours and not mine. That was the third fall to have food down there, but the first year was a bust. So it's the 2nd successful plot. They kept the oats mowed to the ground, but I had kale 4 foot tall.

Comment

Working...
                  X