Deer stand plywood not lasting a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately, smart siding, hardie, or anything over 3/8” ply is just too heavy for how these stands work, so I will have to look into this further.
    There is a 1/4 marine grade out there

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      Not treated. It has been impossible to find 1/4” treated and any thicker than 1/4” and the stands are too heavy to easily pull up and down.

I might tray some type of deck sealer first next time, just wonder if it will hold paint well after it dries.
      Use Marine grade or sign board . Talk with sign makers in your area can usually buy old ones cheap with vinyl coverings (think new neighborhood home for sale signs) they leave up for years.thats all we build out of

Comment

I assume you are painted inside and out.

Stop

Only paint the outside, you're trapping moisture in the plywood it needs to breathe on the inside

Comment

Based on your description you have taken a lot of steps to really seal the wood using the silicone and such. Could it be that your stand is sealed too much and its causing moisture to be trapped on the inside? If you think this is the case try adding a vent on 2 sides at the top. put a piece of window screen behind the vent to keep creepy crawlers out, but still allow the stand to breathe.

Comment

I've used an MDO plywood that i got from a sign shop, but it wont hold up to what I've seen so far of the Smart siding.
            My next blind will be Smart siding and i don't believe i will ever have to rebuild it again period!

Comment

I would recommend using Smart siding. It’s osb sheathing designed to weather the elements. It comes primed already. Also paint sticks really well to it. I’ve built two blinds using this product and they’ve held up for 4 years now. The key to making this product last , or any product you use is to keeping water from seeping onto unpainted surfaces or seeping in behind the panel. Seal up the areas around windows and corners.

Comment

Thompson's water seal.

I have three all wood box stands now in East Tx. 1/4" plywood. One is in the bottoms that stays damp. No problems.
                Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-02-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Skin it with metal, it's a little expensive but lite weight and will last forever. My last stand that I built I did this and I think I'm converting them all over to this as time goes by.

Comment

You might try priming it with Kilz. Has some mold on sheet rock from a water leak hit it with Kilz before I textured and repainted mold did not come though.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      We use 3/8” marine grade plywood on ours. We have a sign shop in town that sells it used for $8.00 a 4x8 sheet. It lasts forever.

We set this one up this weekend. Still needs paint.
                      Does that sign shop sell to anybody or do you have to know somebody LOl

Comment

Deer stand plywood not lasting a year?

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                        Does that sign shop sell to anybody or do you have to know somebody LOl

Just go in and ask. They sell to anybody.

Comment

Thanks for the information guys.

Comment

If I wanted to go with metal, where could I metal that is smooth sided vs. Corrugated metal

Comment

I would use LP SmartSide Panels. They are already primed and ready for paint and will last for 20+ years. We made the switch and will never use plywood again.

Comment

Working...
                              X