Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #101
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I'm almost 49 years old (next month) and I enjoy watching other folks shoot a deer as much as I enjoy shooting them....especially kids or a new hunter.
I'm a new Hunter �� jk...but I do love your attitude about it, Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Kick him off and I’ll take his spot and it will just be me and my fiancť.

Easy enough and everyone stays happy.

We want and need a lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
We live together and are getting married in less than 2 months so we are immediate family.

Quote:
No worries here. I just wanted to make sure to let the op know that I’d be following the rules!

Quote:
Again, another reason to tell that guy to pound sand and I’ll happily send you money today for his place.

Quote:
Sweet! That’s awesome. Put me at the top of the list if there is anything available!

For the love of Pete, kick the dude off and let DapperDan get on the lease so he'll shut up just razzing you, DD
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #102
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River Co. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil67 View Post
If money's not the issue for them why not pay the full membership for his father?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
"his dad and another members dad want to split a membership."

Sounds like 2 Dads who you dont want to hunt as a guest with their Son's want to be able to.

This isn't 2 random buddies splitting a spot, or anything like that from what has been said.
This is what they come up with after we explained the "immediate family rule "

We had several members want to add guys to bring cost down. There were a few that didn't, so I didn't add people. Now the ones that didn't want more people on want this split membership, to me it's still adding members. They are trying to circumvent the family only guest rule.

To me tha that's 13 members regardless, I don't care they claim the 2 dads "may only come 1 time a year each" we had full paying members last year that didn't come at all so that makes no difference to me.

I'm about to send money back to anyone who don't want to follow the only rule on the place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
arrowslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #103
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Split memberships - No way. As stated many times in this thread, just too much headache.

Family member guest - Just me, but I prefer it to be the lease member's dependents or as someone else stated, perhaps extend that out to children that are still on their parents insurance, which can be up through 26.

My only deal is that at some point, another spot should just be purchased. I wouldn't want for a lease member to be bringing his 30 year old son; who is probably more than capable of buying their own spot.

As stated, all leases are different and there isn't a one size fits all set of rules. My problem with a liberal guest policy is sometimes these guest get to take advantage of "shared" areas or items; such as beds in a cabin that other paying lease members might want. It's not always just about one lease member's allotment.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #104
Scubasteveo
Six Point

Hunt In: Kennard,anywhere else I can mooch

Quote:
The two big hangups I have on split memberships are.

1) on our place, the guest has to have his member present to access the property....or ask another member to "chaperone" them. A split membership would allow full access to another member. That's one more person a leaseboss or landowner has to account for. No need to add an extra personality in the mix with an opinion. Its OK if he's a good one but hell if he's a bad one. I'd rather not take the chance.

2) Split membership would allow for some ooops when they are in the field together in separate blinds. Our place is one trophy, one mgmt deer and two(sometimes three) does. What happens if they both shoot a trophy on the same hunt or have one deer left on their allotment and come in with one each?. Yes it is is rare, but it could happen. I'd prefer to not to have to deal with that.
The split spot would have to be mandated that they are never there at the same time. I completely agree with points above.
Scubasteveo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #105
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

The splitting memberships is a situational deal. We thought about allowing it on our place because we really don't have may good deer so we thought what the heck lets go ahead and let two guys pay one membership because they couldn't afford it alone and they can only shoot 2 deer between the two. Ultimately we decided against it because we have year round access to the place so essentially to guys got the added benefit of that perk while only having to pay for one membership. There are more than a couple of guys on my lease that never shoot a deer, they just use it as a place to get out of the city so we figured if these guys saw someone else pair up to pay only one membership they might do the same thing. Like it was said before in this post, it isn't worth the hassle.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #106
deerplanter
Ten Point

I have always made sure that my grandkids could count as immediate family even though they don't live with me.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #107
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default Couple lease rules being questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
I'm a new Hunter Ū*ĹŪł jk...but I do love your attitude about it, Smart b

For the love of Pete, kick the dude off and let DapperDan get on the lease so he'll shut up just razzing you, DD b

Coming in too strong?

Iíll work on being more subtle going forward.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #108
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

The only way I'd allow a spot to be split is if you have two existing members who each already pay for a full spot and they decide rather than bringing in another hunter that they would rather split an open spot and give themselves a couple more deer each. They then each get half the stand locations, etc of the spot they are splitting.

So if you currently get 2 bucks, 2 does and 2 stand locations each the members splitting the third spot pay 1.5x the price of a spot and each get 3 bucks, 3 does and 3 stand locations. That works out pretty well if they are good and proven members and can actually decrease some of your drama and headaches.

I would not split a spot for 2 new members. I would also take a firm stand and tell the guys you are having the issue with that the rules are the rules and if they don't like it hit the trail. You can fill those spots in a couple of days.

If you really want to decrease your headaches go to 6 guns at $3600/gun. You'll cut out half your headaches.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #109
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
On another note, 75% of our hunting is single hang on stands, 20% climbing tree stands and 10% ground blinds. Other than the groundblinds that my dad has put there are no stands to hold two people. They are not going to hunt together that is not what he is wanting. They will put these "guest" in one of our club stands.

Concerning your very last sentence....That would be a big ďNOĒ then. Just set your rules the way you want them and stick to it. If the group wants to chang3 something up then vote on it or something.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #110
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I agree with immediate family being those who live under your roof. But at the same time I don't have a problem with someone bringing guests including their dad, grown child, sibling, etc. So long as the guest hunts in the member's spots, follows the rules and kills off the member's allotment. And the member is 100% responsible for everything the guest does.

In your situation the issue will be that if they bring their dads to hunt they will be hunting more of your group stands. If they only had 2 stands that were their stands and they and their guests had to hunt their stands only then you wouldn't have an issue. But with 14 group stands they are going to be hunting all over the place.

One option would be to give a little on the guest rule and allow them to bring their dads, siblings, grown kids, friends, etc hunting but make it a rule that a guest must hunt in the stand with a member. That cuts out having guests taking up a bunch of spots. And it would make bringing a guest less attractive. You could still bring dad out for a weekend hunt but you aren't gonna want to share a blind with him every weekend. That would cut out a bunch of your issues as well.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #111
BuckRage
Ten Point

make it very specific. Immediate family members only and no splitting memberships. Splitting membership could get ugly.
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #112
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

no on splits

I don't have family that hunts and do not have kids. I bring my guests from my friends list. They work and have a good time getting away. They are my responsibility while at the lease. If permitted to hunt I sit in blind with them to make sure mistakes are not made.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #113
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

I understand the feelings with guest rule and what is "family".

No understanding with the split lease membership. That smells bad all around.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #114
TKK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
I agree with immediate family being those who live under your roof. But at the same time I don't have a problem with someone bringing guests including their dad, grown child, sibling, etc. So long as the guest hunts in the member's spots, follows the rules and kills off the member's allotment. And the member is 100% responsible for everything the guest does.

In your situation the issue will be that if they bring their dads to hunt they will be hunting more of your group stands. If they only had 2 stands that were their stands and they and their guests had to hunt their stands only then you wouldn't have an issue. But with 14 group stands they are going to be hunting all over the place.

One option would be to give a little on the guest rule and allow them to bring their dads, siblings, grown kids, friends, etc hunting but make it a rule that a guest must hunt in the stand with a member. That cuts out having guests taking up a bunch of spots. And it would make bringing a guest less attractive. You could still bring dad out for a weekend hunt but you aren't gonna want to share a blind with him every weekend. That would cut out a bunch of your issues as well.
Your last paragraph is correct - as long as guest must sit with member it cuts back on how many guest folks will bring
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #115
Huntsman27
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

We have 4 lease members on our place and the allotment of deer allowed per member is more than is allowed by TPWD, each membership is allowed 2 bucks and 6 doe and/or spikes.

All 4 of us are good friends and co-workers. When we first starting talking with our land owner about the place we explained we wanted a place to bring extended family members which is why we limited the membership to only four. I can't legally shoot two bucks and six doe but my guests can come and shoot deer that I am allotted.

Our guest rule was written to accommodate what we wanted as far as being able to bring family it reads as follows:

Paid hunters may, at the hunters discretion, be accompanied by any or all of the following family members: Spouses, Children & their Spouses, Grand kids. All deer harvested are attributed to the paid hunters allotment. Paid hunters are not allowed to exceed the agreed upon buck/doe allotment regardless if the animal is harvested by the paid hunter or an extended family member. All game harvested must be complaint with TPWD game laws.

This is a very liberal guest rule from what I have seen on other places but it has worked for us and our land owner. The four members enjoy hunting but as others have said I think we enjoy the deer camp experience and get great pleasure in being with family and friends in the woods.
Huntsman27 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #116
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for a place

No splitting memberships. Immediate family is wife and kids under 18. Give an inch and they will take a mile.

Last edited by sharkhunter; 04-09-2018 at 05:33 PM.
sharkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #117
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
As long as everybody agrees on whatever your lease rules are, they're good rules.
This
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #118
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I see the split memberships as a problem in the form of too many people hunting at one time. So for example using some of the numbers posted above,

if you currently have 10 members on 2000 acres, that's 200 acres per person, which is consider low pressure. Split memberships is now 20 people on 2000 acres, which is 100 acres per person = high pressure.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #119
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

IMO, both of those things would be exceptions to the rules that would require prior approval.

With 12 spots Iíd focus on finding the right guys that would rather follow the spirit of the rules than those looking for every loophole and to find trouble.

On the guest policy, Iíd rather have the guy that hunts by himself almost the whole year bring a kid from his church or a grandchild out than one who brings his family of 5 every weekend.

On splitting memberships, I know a lot of guys in their 60ís and 70ís that havenít pulled the trigger on a deer in 10+ years, but they like to get away from their wives and sit around the campfire telling stories. If everyone approves that they share a limit and donít bring guests, it wouldnít bother me, but youíre setting up a future situation where a couple young guys will want to do the same and hunt hard every weekend.

As others have said, there are serious hunting leases and then there are family leases, you have to decide which one you want to have.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #120
Hunting4fun
Four Point

How do you guys on leases define Trophy bucks? Seems to me that there would be arguments if someone shot Trophy and claimed it was a cull.
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 PM   #121
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting4fun View Post
How do you guys on leases define Trophy bucks? Seems to me that there would be arguments if someone shot Trophy and claimed it was a cull.
We do 5.5 or older and 130+. If it's 5.5 or older and 125 or less then it's usually a bonus management deer for whoever.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #122
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Quote:
It should be defined in the rules. Does not mean there won't be room for interpretation (or disagreements) but you can get pretty tight on the definitions. If the lease has good hunters it won't be an issue.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #123
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
We don't have a buck rule. We are all grown men that got on this place to shoot mature deer. What is a trophy to one may not be to another. Shoot a 125" 8 point fine we have tons of those, let the 125" 3.5 year old tens walk. We are all in agreement to shoot a buck bigger than your last one.

We have 2 buck tags if your lucky enough to use them on trophy bucks use them, if you see a cull use one, if you see two culls use them. If you don't see anything you like eat tag soup.

90% of our hunting is archery it's hard hunting in the mountains but when that 180 steps out it will be all worth it!

Last edited by arrowslinger; 04-11-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #124
txhunter007
Six Point

I would say whatever your rules are to stick with them in a consistent manner. I was on a lease where the lease manager had rules for everyone else to follow but not followed by him. He made exceptions to his rules depending on the person breaking them. When he was confronted with the fact that him and his guests(1 uncle, 2 cousins, and his buddy) had shot 4 bucks that year, on top of his son shooting a buck + grandson shooting a cull buck and doe + daughter in law shooting a cull buck and doe + his wife shooting a buck, he replied that he is the lease manager and he sets and changes whatever rules he wants. So after that I, along with 4 other members packed our feeders and equipment and left. The guy was confused at why we were leaving lol, and had the gall to claim we were putting him in a bind for next year. I personally wouldn't have any issue with the rules you laid out. Split memberships are very bad ideas.
txhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #125
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Kick him off. Nothing but trouble if you ask me. There is ALWAYS some idiot that wants to change a good and it is usually the worst member on the lease. Whenever you start compromising your rules you are done, toast.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #126
BBRU
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Rule 1- Seems fine with parents, siblings, and kids

Rule 2- No go unless you want to add more rules clarifying how to handle a two member spot with trophies and more guest and everything.
X2
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #127
silentstalker92
Six Point

Hunt In: votaw

Their are pros and cons to having guests. I was able to kill my first deer with a bow because I was a guess. Now that being said, the guest better make **** sure he knows the rules and doesn't break any.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
silentstalker92 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #128
asu-indian
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

If you've got 12 members plus their immediate family, you better have thousands of acres if your goal is deer like the one you indicated, at least consistently. That's a lot of deer taken each year.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #129
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
If you've got 12 members plus their immediate family, you better have thousands of acres if your goal is deer like the one you indicated, at least consistently. That's a lot of deer taken each year.
We have 3k acres but yes the deer pictured is what all 12 of us want. That's why I don't even care to consider a guest rule.

There is a 30k acre lease in Nashoba its 900 a year and bring your whole family. Probably 40 family's on it. That's just not the club I want.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #130
Homer75
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jackson co slamming piggies

Quote:
We have 3k acres but yes the deer pictured is what all 12 of us want. That's why I don't even care to consider a guest rule.

There is a 30k acre lease in Nashoba its 900 a year and bring your whole family. Probably 40 family's on it. That's just not the club I want.

Thatís 750 ac and $900 per family. Thatís better than most guys on this website.
Do the 2 dads really want to hunt or just pay for a spot to hang out with everyone? Iím sure I missed something but, sounds like they just want to hangout, Iíve been on leases with those type of guys.
Homer75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #131
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer75 View Post
Thatís 750 ac and $900 per family. Thatís better than most guys on this website.
Do the 2 dads really want to hunt or just pay for a spot to hang out with everyone? Iím sure I missed something but, sounds like they just want to hangout, Iíve been on leases with those type of guys.
They want to hunt, one of them owner of a archery shop.

That other lease is a example not sure on those numbers.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 AM   #132
arrowslinger
Ten Point

So we took a vote....the first 7 members I talked to voted no on both questions. So there we go.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #133
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Only full membership.
Where the person lives is just stupid. A membership is paying for an allowed allotment on kills and the guest come off the members allotment.
dbaio1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #134
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
1st of all the guest rule. We have the rule immediate family....one member interprets this rule as your father, mother, brother, sister, wife and kids. My opinion is family members that live with you.

2nd he wants to split a membership....his dad and another members dad want to split a membership. Never have had this come up before but my opinion is if we split their membership that's like adding a member at half price. Everyone was on the same page at keeping it at 12 members and no more then they come up with this when I said no guest outside the family that lives in your house.

What are yalls opinions on these rules?

Picture of the caliber of deer we are trying to hunt.

I have always taken exception to rules like your first. My wife & I can't have children so the "immediate family" rule is basically telling me I can't have guests. I have 2 nephews...they are like my kids and I love any outdoor & hunting time I get to spend with them and my brother. IMO it shouldn't matter who I give my tag allotment to but I should also be held 100% responsible for the actions of my guests.

As others have said, it's whatever the group can agree too.

Last edited by JonBoy; 04-12-2018 at 09:32 AM.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #135
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Couple lease rules being questioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post

Under our rules, there is no difference in the amount of deer that can be taken by the 12 members with or without guests.

Common sense says you donít just turn a family free to fill all their tags...you still have a member allotment and guests hunt off that allotment.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #136
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Under our rules, there is no difference in the amount of deer that can be taken by the 12 members with or without guests.

Common sense says you donít just turn a family free to fill all their tags...you still have a member allotment and guests hunt off that allotment.

Yep we have a member that brings his grandkids but his grown daughters don't hunt. Were all for it. We have a harvest limit and rules as to what can be harvested and we stick to that. I don't care if the grandkids or the granddad shoot it. He paid for his spot.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #137
arrowslinger
Ten Point

Quote:

Here is my deal, first of all I have been on a few leases, I always follow the rules the main person running them leases always makes/breaks the rules as they please. So when me and my dad signed as the lease holders on this property we made 1 rule no guest outside of immediate family I will not break that rule so I expect everyone who signs up not to break the rule. If you don't like our 1 rule find somewhere else to hunt.

I didn't shoot any doe last year to help the population, so why would I want "guest" to shoot any? Maybe in 3-5 years after protein and feed year around and our population has grown we can reconsider the guest policy.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #138
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

You are the lease holder and you made the rules. As you stated above "if you don't like the rules" , hit the road. You answered you original question. Tell him the rules as you want them, and if he doesn't like that, good riddance.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top